CCTV camera recommendation for gimbal-less P2V+V2

Reaction score
I searched this forum but found no recommendations for a CCTV camera to provide FPV on my gimbal-less Phantom. I just want good FPV view, no recording or gimbal so I can see where I'm at and get telemetry, as well. Will need to add a RE700 range extender but I'm pretty sure the v2 has the wifi mounted inside the Phantom so shouldn't be too hard to get everything set up - just need a good camera...

You'll need a good camera and a way to transmit the video signal.. You can't use the Wi-Fi signal link to send analogue video pictures.
You'll still need the usual FPV transmitter, on 2.4Ghz though.

edonovanl said:
I searched this forum but found no recommendations for a CCTV camera to provide FPV on my gimbal-less Phantom. I just want good FPV view, no recording or gimbal so I can see where I'm at and get telemetry, as well. Will need to add a RE700 range extender but I'm pretty sure the v2 has the wifi mounted inside the Phantom so shouldn't be too hard to get everything set up - just need a good camera...

I have this one with my Phantom V1. It has clear image day / night, very light and works great with any VTX ( I use immersion 600mW) but for P2-Vision + you need a 2.4 Ghz or 1.2 Ghz VTX

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FatShark-60...495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f8705797

s-l500.jpg

If you like a bigger in-case mount this is great too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RunCam-600T...1&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=171686150674&rt=nc

s-l500.jpg

You'll need a good camera and a way to transmit the video signal.. You can't use the Wi-Fi signal link to send analogue video pictures.
You'll still need the usual FPV transmitter, on 2.4Ghz though.
Isn't the 2.4Ghz transmitter in the P2V+V2 body? So I need a range extender on the controller to receive video and then it is picked up by my iPhone? Do I have that wrong?

Jumanoc, I'll check that camera setup out - thanks!

edonovanl said:
Isn't the 2.4Ghz transmitter in the P2V+V2 body? So I need a range extender on the controller to receive video and then it is picked up by my iPhone? Do I have that wrong?

Jumanoc, I'll check that camera setup out - thanks!

On the P2V the control signal also includes the video feed.. this all runs on 5.8Ghz Wi-Fi from the controller/range extender.

To use a "non vision" camera would require a separate video transmitter on another band, ie: 2.4Ghz/1.2Ghz/900mhz etc as this would be an analogue camera and would not be compatible with the current Wi-Fi link and telemetry.
A separate camera would not include the telemetry from the P2V(+). You cannot use 5.8Ghz video transmitter as this would disrupt the control signal and most likely end in a "fly-away" scenario.

You would also require an analogue receiver and display unit and could not use a mobile phone/ipad etc.

You would end up with the same functionality as a standard Phantom 2 (non vision) with FPV.

From what I have read in The Ultimate Training Guide for the Vision +,
The second channel - which allows video/telemetry - is a constant connection between your smartphone/tablet, the DJI repeater/range-extender and the Phantom. This channel is 2.4Ghz.

So I should be able to add a RE700 Range Extender, add a cctv camera and mod the Phantom connections, then connect the AV and power from the camera to the appropriate points in the Phantom. I've seen some posts that indicate that this has been tried successfully...

Thanks TeamYankee - I'll check that out. It's taking a lot of time to research this, while all I really need is a technical manual or description of how all of the components work together, what the modules do, and a wiring diagram and I could figure it out myself. If someone wrote such a manual, it would absolutely sell!

Also check the P2 vision part of this forum... some have fitted the GoPro to the Vision and retained the Vision features...

Essentially you would be doing the same, but with a CCTV cam instead.

Since I have a v+v2, isn't the design different enough that the P2 won't apply? ...still one of the things I'm trying to understand

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20