Cathedral Range

Oh yeah. Nice video. So, what was the tripod on top of the ridge?
Are there any caves? I was big in caving at one time. Now I'm just big. Lol.
Any animals unique to the area?

Oh yeah. Nice video. So, what was the tripod on top of the ridge?
Are there any caves? I was big in caving at one time. Now I'm just big. Lol.
Any animals unique to the area?
Thanks!
The tripod is a trig-point marker for surveying purposes.
No caves to speak of - the geology isn't suitable.
Apart from the usual Australian fauna, I'm not really sure - not my area of expertise.

Thank you for the visit to a unique place. Looks like it might be dangerous to hike in the hills but it's quite stunning from the air.

This mountain range is not far from Melbourne. The sedimentary uplift is unusually angular (for Australia), and when the surrounding valleys are filled with low cloud, the views are quite something.
Drone: P4Pv2

Very nice. Love how you are above the clouds. What elevation were you at the launch point?
And some technical questions:
-, what were your camera settings? Did you have an ND to slow your shutter?
-Was this from the Normal profile or did you use D-Cinelike or Log and color grade?

Reason I ask is I still have my P4v2, but now have the Mavic 3. On the P4v2 I almost always left the color profile on D-Cinelike even for stills to flatten the contrast and give me more dynamic range. Then I'd bring back the contrast & saturation in post.
With the M3 I'm mostly shooting in Normal mode. Don't need to flatten my contrast. Constantly amazed at how much dynamic range it has. But I do want to learn how to process from Log.
I am still a total newbie in video post, even though flying for 8 years. I'm a still shooter mostly....

Nice Pygar and you haven't lived until you've been rock climbing there and the March flies know when you can't swat them.
Didn't find my watch there did you 🤣😂

Thank you for the visit to a unique place. Looks like it might be dangerous to hike in the hills but it's quite stunning from the air.
Glad you enjoyed it. There are a few scary routes, but a lot of school groups also hike up there, so there's something for everyone.

Nice Pygar and you haven't lived until you've been rock climbing there and the March flies know when you can't swat them.
Didn't find my watch there did you 🤣😂
I can't say I spotted a watch... but I'll be taking the kids up there during the school holidays, so will keep a look-out for you. :) Hopefully, the March flies are less active in winter.

Very nice. Love how you are above the clouds. What elevation were you at the launch point?
And some technical questions:
-, what were your camera settings? Did you have an ND to slow your shutter?
-Was this from the Normal profile or did you use D-Cinelike or Log and color grade?

Reason I ask is I still have my P4v2, but now have the Mavic 3. On the P4v2 I almost always left the color profile on D-Cinelike even for stills to flatten the contrast and give me more dynamic range. Then I'd bring back the contrast & saturation in post.
With the M3 I'm mostly shooting in Normal mode. Don't need to flatten my contrast. Constantly amazed at how much dynamic range it has. But I do want to learn how to process from Log.
I am still a total newbie in video post, even though flying for 8 years. I'm a still shooter mostly....
1. My video settings are on auto: Although I usually have a rough idea of what I want to shoot before I launch, I mostly just fly around and take angles and opportunities as they present themselves. In manual mode I would have to pause and re-adjust the settings each time my direction or camera angle changed. It's just not how I want to fly. I sometimes lose footage - mainly when highlights blow out, but it's not too bad overall. It's easy to fix minor exposure issues in post, mid-flight exposure transitions on the other hand are sometimes problematic and sometimes not. My biggest headache in auto-mode is white-balance. I'd have trouble setting it correctly off my controller screen anyway, but the problems start when it adjusts mid-flight... the transition is lost footage, and then in post I often struggle to match two sets of footage with different WBs.

2. I don't use ND filters, and there are probably only a few times where I've missed them. I'm often flying in low light (where they're not needed) or flying too high (where they don't make a difference) or just in situations where I still prefer the crisper look to motion-blur. It'd be different if I was flying an FPV drone...

3. I always use D-Cinelike and grade in post. I've heard that the standard colour profile on the Mavic 3 is pretty good. I tried Log once and couldn't get it right, so can't offer any tips there.

Oh, and elevation at launch point: around 350 metres asl - below the clouds in the narrower valley.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl