Catch landing

Was primarily only catch landing when faced with windy or variable conditions. However, the more I catch land, the more I like it. Last night at the park, my catch landing drew some applause from a small ground that had gathered.

I have only come close to tipping over once on landing, and it was in windy conditions. My advice is to do whatever the conditions call for. Apply common sense and get good at both the catch and the ground landing. Another plus to catching is you are less likely to get dust kicking up into the motors, which should help the bearings last longer.

Due to the ground effect. When throttling up gently the motors might not all spool up at the same time, and this coupled with the effect of the downdraft hitting the ground and affecting the aerodynamics (it's only a few inches away after all) might cause the craft to lean over slightly and possibly tip over. If you give her the full tin of beans from the start it will zoom upwards (maybe not in a completely straight line, sometimes with a couple of inches angle) but you will be much safer in the long run.

cruz_ctrl said:
nhoover said:
Yes. I do 100% catch landings, above my head. Catch w/R, throttle down with L. Full power take off every time.

just curious. why is the full power take off recommended? thanks!

I can verify that a slow, low throttle takeoff can result in a tip-over. I did that once because of a brain fart on my second or third takeoff with my P2V back in March. Never again. Full throttle takeoff has never failed me or anyone else that has commented on this method.

happydays said:
Due to the ground effect. When throttling up gently the motors might not all spool up at the same time, and this coupled with the effect of the downdraft hitting the ground and affecting the aerodynamics (it's only a few inches away after all) might cause the craft to lean over slightly and possibly tip over. If you give her the full tin of beans from the start it will zoom upwards (maybe not in a completely straight line, sometimes with a couple of inches angle) but you will be much safer in the long run.

Yep! I did a slow take off the first time and there wasn't a problem, but it did drift because of a little wind. It's much safer to just give it full throttle for a second. When I did it, I thought it was going to shoot off into the sky, but it really doesn't go that fast from take off. The battery seems to be weighted toward the back too, its just a nice and safe way to take off. If you have no wind and a flat surface, you can take off slow. But who wants to risk it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20