Catch landing

Codacious said:
I've seen where people recommend a catch landing if possible. Is everyone doing that alone or do you need someone to catch it for you? Which power down option do you use? Holding the throttle down for 3 seconds or the sticks together?

Hover it down wind at head height. Walk up and grab hold of one of the legs. Left stick down all the way for three seconds to power down the motors. No risk of tipping over, and no risk of prop damage. My V+ has never landed on the ground. Always hand catch.

Grab it with your right hand en hold left stick down for a couple of seconds. Try not to move the Quad as it tries to maintain GPS position otherwise (and takes longer to stop). It is my preferred landing now.

Thanks guys, I didn't know if holding down the throttle would work since it knows it's not on the ground. At what height does the 3 second shut down work? I know it doesn't do that while your flying. I had a very shaky landing today, the wind really started picking up right when I got close to landing. I was really low on battery and kept having to move it around to get to a flat spot, I felt like I should have gotten a medal for the amazing landing I pulled out of my butt!

Codacious said:
Thanks guys, I didn't know if holding down the throttle would work since it knows it's not on the ground. At what height does the 3 second shut down work? I know it doesn't do that while your flying. I had a very shaky landing today, the wind really started picking up right when I got close to landing. I was really low on battery and kept having to move it around to get to a flat spot, I felt like I should have gotten a medal for the amazing landing I pulled out of my butt!

Listen to what they are saying.

It does not have to be on the ground just stationary with regards to altitude.

It is looking to see that the baro. pressure is stable thus stationary.

happydays said:
Codacious said:
I've seen where people recommend a catch landing if possible. Is everyone doing that alone or do you need someone to catch it for you? Which power down option do you use? Holding the throttle down for 3 seconds or the sticks together?

Hover it down wind at head height. Walk up and grab hold of one of the legs. Left stick down all the way for three seconds to power down the motors. No risk of tipping over, and no risk of prop damage. My V+ has never landed on the ground. Always hand catch.
Likewise, 100% catch landings for me. Never fly it to you, as happydays says. I always keep mine above head height and reach up for it. Its easier to grab the back leg as the gimbel gets in the way a bit especially if only the pilot is available for a catch. So I turn mine to face away from me, wait for any Toilet bowel to settle after the yaw then catch.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

nhoover said:
Yes. I do 100% catch landings, above my head. Catch w/R, throttle down with L. Full power take off every time.

+1

happydays said:
Codacious said:

+1

+1 on the catching recommendation. I hover at head height in front and to the right of me, reach over and gently hold the rear left leg with my right hand while throttling down with my left hand for 3 seconds. I used to be terrified by the idea of doing this in case it was too heavy or the wind grabbed it sending severed fingers and gimbal parts everywhere. Now I can't remember the last time I landed on the ground.

I started doing this highly technical hand-catching maneuver a few weeks ago, and must say that's it's far easier than the alternative. Plus, 9/10 times I attract a crowd, and it makes you look like a boss.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I see too much that can go wrong with catch landing. Just land the sucker, its not hard and what is the reasoning for not doing it?

JWarren said:
I guess I'm in the minority, but I see too much that can go wrong with catch landing. Just land the sucker, its not hard and what is the reasoning for not doing it?

I have to agree with you. It is not difficult to land properly. Only time I catch is when I'm on a boat. Plus, it's much more satisfying for some reason when I land and power down the motors. Never had any issues landing, never fallen over, etc. Just bring her in nice and easy and don't descend too rapidly and you'll be fine... or catch her. Personal preference me thinks.

Camicus said:
JWarren said:

I have to agree with you. It is not difficult to land properly. Only time I catch is when I'm on a boat. Plus, it's much more satisfying for some reason when I land and power down the motors. Never had any issues landing, never fallen over, etc. Just bring her in nice and easy and don't descend too rapidly and you'll be fine... or catch her. Personal preference me thinks.

Agree I ground land ONLY Once down to about 6-7' i sloooowly descend just take it slow and easy. Actually land it successfully many times on pelican case.

JWarren said:
Just land the sucker, its not hard and what is the reasoning for not doing it?

Depending on wind, ground conditions etc, I've seen me hovering for a minute waiting for the perfect circumstances to bring it down in a perfect, gimbal-friendly landing. Even then, sometimes after this perfect landing while turning the motors off, if my finger quivered at all on the throttle, I would inadvertently initiate a yaw movement which would cause Phanny (my Phantom) to tip. I can't be bothered with that possibility now and also the shorter landing procedure saves a fair bit of battery into the bargain.

JWarren said:

Each to his own of course!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31