Catch landing via battery power button?

Reaction score
I've been hand catching my P3P when landing around rough or uneven terrain, without any trouble. However, it always feels like holding its entire weight by one leg, even if near the top of the leg, is a bit unsteady. I always worry a little bit that I'll break or bend the leg accidentally.

So, when I read in another thread here (i can't find it now) that you could also hand catch by grasping both legs and double tapping the battery, like you would to power it off on the ground, I was interested in switching to that approach. It certainly feels a lot more stable to hold it by the top of the two rear legs than just one.

Unfortunately, I tried it twice yesterday evening and couldn't get it to work. The battery lights all came on and then turned off in sequence after my second battery button press, as usual, but the Phantom did not power off. In fact, it even seemed to rev up and start trying to gain altitude, pulling pretty strongly against my neutral grasp.

Has anyone successfully hand caught this way? Is there a trick to it that I missed?

You probably activated RTH when you shut the battery off-- NO POWER-- what happened after that-- did you let it go and did you land it?

You probably activated RTH when you shut the battery off-- NO POWER-- what happened after that-- did you let it go and did you land it?

I kept holding on with my right hand, and killed the motors by holding the left stick down for a few seconds.

I kept holding on with my right hand, and killed the motors by holding the left stick down for a few seconds.
That's good! keep one hand on the controller-- and as soon as you have hold kill the motor with the controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20