Catastrophic failure.

Reaction score
Help.
Tried installing Zenmuse last night, all seemed to go well. Had to search forum for answer to why gimbal only pointed at ground,success. Went out for a test flight, start up good gps obtained now time for take off. As soon as I took off it started wobbling out of control.It's hard to describe the flight pattern, but even with minimum throttle the craft starts to oscillate,stable flight is impossible. Luckily I didn't have too much height so the resulting crash landing only damaged a carbon fibre prop.
Plugged phantom into pc and did calibration check and advanced calibration just in case. checked all the wiring then went out for another test, same disaster.
So this morning took gimbal off and restored to original status, went out for test flight and still uncontrollable wobble. Have tried to fly in att mode to see if it was gps or compass problem but same story. Have now taken apart again to have a look and everything looks in place, so I'm lost.
Please anybody got any bright ideas

Double check compass wire connection or broken wire. Do Adavanced calibration over horizontal surface and finally do a compass calibration on field.

Did your mixer type somehow get changed from Quad-X to Quad-I when you were working with the Assistant? That could explain the crazy oscillations...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,070
+ 1 for Sac-D's suggestion.

I'm assuming you did the newest firmware, and software upgrades. After doing so, it it highly advisable to go through
every section of the Naza Assistant carefully, to make sure everything is the way it should be. Don't just assume your
previous settings will be unchanged.

Audaciter said:
+ 1 for Sac-D's suggestion.

I'm assuming you did the newest firmware, and software upgrades. After doing so, it it highly advisable to go through
every section of the Naza Assistant carefully, to make sure everything is the way it should be. Don't just assume your
previous settings will be unchanged.

I thought I read yesterday that the new default setting with 3.14 is quad-X instead of quad-I, which makes sense since that's what the majority of DJI's inventory uses. Or did I just think I read that?

I thought I read yesterday that the new default setting with 3.14 is quad-X instead of quad-I, which makes sense since that's what the majority of DJI's inventory uses. Or did I just think I read that?

That's what's known as a psychic premonition :shock: Too bad it didn't kick in when your Phantom flew away. :lol:

Just kidding, Yeah, you read it. ;)

I too had the possessed symmetrical thrashing. I fixed it by going to the DJI site. Go to the site, go to support, go to downloads then find (Phantom Default Configuration Parameters) save the file. Then connect your phantom and turn on the assistant. Go to tools and import parameters find the file you saved and import that onto the phantom. Do a calibration and it should be resolved.

I hope this helps you out.

Sac D said:

Nope. you definitely read that. (that's what I read)
I think it was in the splashscreen when I hit the update button.
(it was stilly for it to always default to the + in the first place.)

This same exact thing happen to me. I figured the reason it happened to me, because after all that unplugging and replugging and wiring. I completly forgot to do the compass calibration on field before flight. Luckily I was staying low, and dumped it after losing control.

I had pretty good control at first, just slowly hovering around, but slowly losing control more and more, faster and faster. She was going pretty fast when I dumped her in the yard.
Doing cart wheels with the brand new zenmuse, and exposed GoPro camera swinging and flopping by the wire all over, broken prop. The rubber dampeners pulled out on impact, unattatching Zenmuse and all.

I could really imagine a flyaway if I would have gained high altitude within the first 20-30 seconds. Luckily I was hovering low.

After all that, and picking up the pieces, and got everything back together, and doing "the dance" before flight, it works awesome,
and I like it alot.
Thats all I got to say about that. (Forest gump voice)

Thanks all, quite right when upgrading it put it on to quad I instead of X an easy thing to have missed. This did solve the flight error but somewhere along the way the compass I think has overheated as I felt it hot enough to almost burn me and now nothing registers in the assistant on the compass settings. All right to fly in att but with fpv in 20knots of wind can be a little unnerving.
Does anyone have any ideas how this overheating could have happened. I don't like the way everything has to be pretty much jammed into the hull with the new gimbal. The top of the craft also felt very warm after flight.
Well everything should have cooled down by tomorrow so fingers crossed but think its a long shot. Dear DJI do you sell replacement compass.
getting frustrated
Alex

Dear DJI do you sell replacement compass.getting frustratedAlex

A new compass is one of the least expensive parts, at around $16. You might have pinched a wire, or something when you
put the top shell back on.
Because the compass plugs into the gps, which is in the top of the shell, I hope it didn't damage that as well, as it's one of
the more expensive parts.

I am having issues as well, I tried to import the default settings but the NAZA assistant gives me a popup showing that the default config is invalid.
7-5-20138-43-43PM_zps675f2731.png

7-5-20138-44-19PM_zpsbae70cd0.png

7-5-20138-45-07PM_zpsaef84cfc.png

7-5-20138-45-26PM_zps9b2db9c6.png

Here is when I made that mistake with "mixer type" in an earlier firmware update, shows the death wobbles from onboard. :eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZ51lf1_pM[/youtube]

Audaciter said:
Dear DJI do you sell replacement compass.getting frustratedAlex

A new compass is one of the least expensive parts, at around $16. You might have pinched a wire, or something when you
put the top shell back on.
Because the compass plugs into the gps, which is in the top of the shell, I hope it didn't damage that as well, as it's one of
the more expensive parts.
Thanks, luckily I have a new naza sitting in a box with gps so will try and figure out a mount and install it at the back of the craft maybe get the pmu outside as well. Hopefully only a small hole cut in back of craft

Thanks, luckily I have a new naza sitting in a box with gps so will try and figure out a mount and install it at the back of the craft maybe get the pmu outside as well. Hopefully only a small hole cut in back of craft

Why do you have these parts ? If only the compass, or the cable to the compass was bad, that would be a very simple
repair, with a very small dollar amount spent.

A new Naza controller is completely unnecessary, and MUST be mounted in the center of the craft, facing the correct
direction for it to function correctly. The PMU might as well be mounted inside too.

If you use the GPS, make sure you mount it with the wires pointing towards the front of the craft, and either install it
directly on top of the Phantom, or be sure to tell the Naza Assistant software how far from the center of gravity you
have located it.

I would strongly advise against these mods, and just use the new Naza kit for a new project, such as a FW450.

[/quote]

Why do you have these parts ? [/quote]
I was building a storm drone, then killed it before had a chance to install naza.
Anyway luckily I'm educated and can read so went ahead with planned mods.
All good, gps + mount fitted, gimbal installed and correct measurements installed using assistant. Long story short perfect flight.
Which leads me to add the new Zenmuse is truly awesome, will post vid of flight when nicely edited. Will also post some pics of phantom post mod, think you will agree she is a beauty
Alex :D

Audaciter said:
Why do you have these parts ? If only the compass, or the cable to the compass was bad, that would be a very simple
repair, with a very small dollar amount spent.
I was building a storm drone, then killed it before had a chance to install naza.
All good, gps + mount fitted, gimbal installed and correct measurements installed using assistant. Long story short perfect flight.
Which leads me to add the new Zenmuse is truly awesome, will post vid of flight when nicely edited. Will also post some pics of phantom post mod, think you will agree she is a beauty
Alex :D

I didn't mean to imply that you were uneducated, or unable to read, just that the cure seemed a bit excessive.

But as long as It worked out well, that's what's most important.

Audaciter said:
I didn't mean to imply that you were uneducated, or unable to read, just that the cure seemed a bit excessive.
No Worries, din't mean you were implying that, just I live on a small Island where getting replacement parts can take weeks. I'm kinda want it yesterday sort of guy so this actually seemed the least excessive and quickest way to get things sorted. Very excited to play with the new gimbal. Anyway I will go take a pic to post

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj