Catastrophic crash tonight - Phantom 3 Pro destroyed!!

DattaGroover - best of luck to you. I don't look forward to that process.

Upon further inspection this morning, it looks like one of the props came off!. the other 3 props were either sheared off on impact or badly damaged. The 4th rotor had no prop. I looked all over for it around the crash site to no avail. I always give these a nice snug tightening after spinning them on, so I know it had nothing to do with how I put them on (I even double checked in my pre-flight). After reading a bit more on how this could potentially happen, sounds like maybe a motor failure either locking up, changing direction or something similar could spin off a prop?? Sounds rare, but not sure what else it could be.

Since I just received this 3 days ago, bought through Amazon, using my Amex, I am almost inclined to send it back and get a replacement unit this way, after hearing some horror stories about DJI warranty, and the fact that it could take 6+ weeks (unacceptable IMO). I feel like I would be on trial or something - after spending $1300 for a defective unit, to wait weeks, to only have them subjectively determine whether or not to replace it?? Any thoughts?

Here are all of the pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlrwieleltlqyu1/AADJxWJh_Y4L2RXhCUN1ndRka?dl=0

My first quad. PV2. I was an idiot and about a year ago when I got it, flew it without reading everything. It hit a tree, crashed on concrete and was a goner. Called Amazon.. Told them the exact story. Said it crashed and it doesn't work. They sent me a brand new one, sent the other one back as they needed to finalize the return as the refund was guaranteed until they got it....2 days later I received an email saying my refund was approved after they received it... Not sure if this still can happen for you, but it worked last year.

My first quad. PV2. I was an idiot and about a year ago when I got it, flew it without reading everything. It hit a tree, crashed on concrete and was a goner. Called Amazon.. Told them the exact story. Said it crashed and it doesn't work. They sent me a brand new one, sent the other one back as they needed to finalize the return as the refund was guaranteed until they got it....2 days later I received an email saying my refund was approved after they received it... Not sure if this still can happen for you, but it worked last year.

Thanks YolevonALLin - curious - did you buy it on Prime? I'm a Prime member, but this went through one of their merchant's. Although that merchant doesn't seem to have any limiting language in their return policy about drones/quads. The return is initiated through Amazon, so going to give it a shot

Thanks YolevonALLin - curious - did you buy it on Prime? I'm a Prime member, but this went through one of their merchant's. Although that merchant doesn't seem to have any limiting language in their return policy about drones/quads. The return is initiated through Amazon, so going to give it a shot

It was a Prime purchase.. I am not entirely sure if it was a Amazon warehouse purchase or a dealer.. I don't even think I asked back then, just called Amazon 1800 number. Usually, they will take the return and then handle it with the dealer independent of your refund/new order in my experience. Just say it wasn't working as it should have, ask for a refund and then order a new one once the refund is processed.. THE KEY is to not do a return and exchange, rather a refund and then let that get approved and then order a new one.

Well, I just called Amazon Customer Service. Thanks for the inspiration YolevonALLin. They are awesome. She said if the seller pushes back for any reason, Amazon will step in and refund my money under the A to Z guarantee. So, I just ordered a new one...will be here next week (I guess you can't get next day Prime on everything - beats 6+ weeks for a maybe though). Thanks all for the help!!

AMEX will not cover quads... wow...I missed that in the fine print. What about Visa?
Visa won't either:

What items are not covered by Purchase Security?
  • Animals and living plants.
  • Antiques and collectible items.
  • Boats, aircraft, automobiles, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle.

Upon further inspection this morning, it looks like one of the props came off!. the other 3 props were either sheared off on impact or badly damaged. The 4th rotor had no prop. I looked all over for it around the crash site to no avail. I always give these a nice snug tightening after spinning them on, so I know it had nothing to do with how I put them on (I even double checked in my pre-flight). After reading a bit more on how this could potentially happen, sounds like maybe a motor failure either locking up, changing direction or something similar could spin off a prop?? Sounds rare, but not sure what else it could be.

Since I just received this 3 days ago, bought through Amazon, using my Amex, I am almost inclined to send it back and get a replacement unit this way, after hearing some horror stories about DJI warranty, and the fact that it could take 6+ weeks (unacceptable IMO). I feel like I would be on trial or something - after spending $1300 for a defective unit, to wait weeks, to only have them subjectively determine whether or not to replace it?? Any thoughts?

Here are all of the pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jlrwieleltlqyu1/AADJxWJh_Y4L2RXhCUN1ndRka?dl=0
man this hurt to watch ;)
it looks like you could potentially replace the camera glass, ribbon, props, one motor, and add a lot of glue/etc to get it back in the air

from the spin on the map yes, losing a prop seems likely. since the P3 uses active braking you have to screw them in well (ie force a lil) else they're likely to fly off (which always results in spin)

Sorry to hear about the crash. You should look at the stick inputs at the time of crash. You can toggle them on or off by clicking on the controls icon I n the lower left corner of the playback screen. That way you will be able to prove there was no CSC input by you.
He Jeff48920,
The controls icon is absent on my flight log playback screen. At the bottom is only a speed playback option currently showing "1X". I am on Pilot app 1.2.0. Google Nexus 9. Are you aware of a switch to toggle this feature on or off? I cannot find any user option settings. What am I missing?

He Jeff48920,
The controls icon is absent on my flight log playback screen. At the bottom is only a speed playback option currently showing "1X". I am on Pilot app 1.2.0. Google Nexus 9. Are you aware of a switch to toggle this feature on or off? I cannot find any user option settings. What am I missing?

Like bbfpv said. This is an iOS feature only as I understand it. Doubtless that this feature and the flight simulator will find their way onto Android devices with the next iteration. Sorry that I could not be of more help

As to 6+ weeks for repair, that is only after they enter it into their system. My P2V+ sat on their receiving dock (or somewhere else) for over 3 weeks before entered into the system (that was after the week it took to get it to them after the 4 days trying to get an RMA#), then they say it will 5-6 weeks before it hits their tech's bench. Then another week shipping back to me. They will probably have it close to 3 months before you are flying again. And you won't know if they try to charge you or not until it hits their tech's bench. Not the greatest service on the planet...... LOL

If, indeed you believe that the props counter rotated as a result of dynamic braking (and it certainly could be the case based on numerous stories out of the Inspire camp) then in the future I would suggest three things before flying:

1. tighten up the props REALLY tight. You can even use the supplied wrench if you want. With the new composite hubs, you will feel them tightening as you go.

2. Once they are on good and tight, do not remove them except for required maintenance.

3. Reduce dynamic braking percentage to 70% in the Pilot App. I have found it is more than sufficient to do the job

Sorry to hear about the crash. You should look at the stick inputs at the time of crash. You can toggle them on or off by clicking on the controls icon I n the lower left corner of the playback screen. That way you will be able to prove there was no CSC input by you.

I don't see that option on v1.2.0 on Android. Am I missing something, or is that feature not available?
Thanks!

I don't see that option on v1.2.0 on Android. Am I missing something, or is that feature not available?
Thanks!
I have been told it is not available in Android versions of the Pilot app. I have no first hand knowledge of that however.

As to 6+ weeks for repair, that is only after they enter it into their system. My P2V+ sat on their receiving dock (or somewhere else) for over 3 weeks before entered into the system (that was after the week it took to get it to them after the 4 days trying to get an RMA#), then they say it will 5-6 weeks before it hits their tech's bench. Then another week shipping back to me. They will probably have it close to 3 months before you are flying again. And you won't know if they try to charge you or not until it hits their tech's bench. Not the greatest service on the planet...... LOL

If, indeed you believe that the props counter rotated as a result of dynamic braking (and it certainly could be the case based on numerous stories out of the Inspire camp) then in the future I would suggest three things before flying:

1. tighten up the props REALLY tight. You can even use the supplied wrench if you want. With the new composite hubs, you will feel them tightening as you go.

2. Once they are on good and tight, do not remove them except for required maintenance.

3. Reduce dynamic braking percentage to 70% in the Pilot App. I have found it is more than sufficient to do the job

Good info Jeff. Unreal on the repair turnaround. That worries me if I ever have to send to them in the future (post 30 day return policy). They better step up their game with all of the competition, and players like GoPro coming into this space that would likely bring great support and customer experience with them.

On the props - I've been taking them on and off each time I fly, and was getting ready to order a case that required removal of the props. Thinking twice about that now after what happened, and your comments. I'm not going to risk it - even though it seems to defeat the purpose of the self-tightening prop convenience. I'll be cranking these down snug.

What about prop guards - like the quick disconnect type - bad idea? I keep thinking about the additional weight, drag, and that new screws have to go into the motor mount... Maybe I'm overthinking it - just want to avoid something like this from ever happening again if I can help it.

Visa won't either:

What items are not covered by Purchase Security?
  • Animals and living plants.
  • Antiques and collectible items.
  • Boats, aircraft, automobiles, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle.

Boats, aircraft, automobiles, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any

OK vehicles/aircraft are completely different in terms of actual definition than a hobby Quadcopter.. Those are referring to actual transportation vehicles.. That is literally the equivalent to saying a toy boat wouldn't be covered because it says "boats". This policy section does not exclude phantoms from coverage. maybe somewhere else it does, but not here.

Well, I just called Amazon Customer Service. Thanks for the inspiration YolevonALLin. They are awesome. She said if the seller pushes back for any reason, Amazon will step in and refund my money under the A to Z guarantee. So, I just ordered a new one...will be here next week (I guess you can't get next day Prime on everything - beats 6+ weeks for a maybe though). Thanks all for the help!!

Yes! So glad I could help.. Now only if I would have called them a few days ago when mine was Bricked due to the new update... Should have taken my own advice! And yes, Amazon is awesome and who would have thought you can get a replacement for a crashed phantom in 2 days free of charge!

Reactions: Akrosfer
On the props - I've been taking them on and off each time I fly, and was getting ready to order a case that required removal of the props. Thinking twice about that now after what happened, and your comments. I'm not going to risk it - even though it seems to defeat the purpose of the self-tightening prop convenience. I'll be cranking these down snug. ....

What about prop guards

I would suggest a case that allows you to leave the props on. I use the Tradecraft P3 case. Awesome but heavy. The real issue is that the props do self tighten when in normal flight. They can spin themselves loose when dynamic braking occurs. Once really good and tight however the new composite holds on really well.

As to the prop guards, I understand that the new removeable guards are pretty nice and I think, overall, the most useful design . I personally tried guards with my P2V and P2V+ and didn't care for them much. They make some sense in restricted places (like inside buildings or canyons or narrow alleys) but I don't like them. I also understand they can be useful if you have a tip over landing or launch.

Reactions: Farmer
Boats, aircraft, automobiles, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any

OK vehicles/aircraft are completely different in terms of actual definition than a hobby Quadcopter.. Those are referring to actual transportation vehicles.. That is literally the equivalent to saying a toy boat wouldn't be covered because it says "boats". This policy section does not exclude phantoms from coverage. maybe somewhere else it does, but not here.
It's up to interpretation. If I'm a lawyer, I'd say well a hobby quadcopter is an unmanned aerial vehicle, and it has motors, so no it's not covered.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl