Catastrophe Finally Happened

Reaction score
Have well over a hundred flights with the phantom 2 and now the 3. Have never had a single issue. That just changed. After about 10 seconds after take off, 30' off the ground, a prop came right off (spun off, didn't break)....my drone crashed straight down, serious damage. I am more than a 100% sure I tightened the the props. I always spin them until the motor starts to spend too. Has anyone had this happen to them before?! Is this a known defect?

Reactions: LWC1496
How does the prop look? Do you see any damage around the hub and/or inside of it?

Also, you say you spun them until the motor spun too, but in fact some of these props especially the black ones get a little tight about halfway through but that doesn't mean they're all the way on. Did you have your hand on the motor after it spun and make sure that it was completed. It's a pretty easy oversight and unless you put your hand on the motor and snugged it, it's possible it was only halfway on.sorry for your nonetheless

Also, you say you spun them until the motor spun too, but in fact some of these props especially the black ones get a little tight about halfway through but that doesn't mean they're all the way on. Did you have your hand on the motor after it spun and make sure that it was completed. It's a pretty easy oversight and unless you put your hand on the motor and snugged it, it's possible it was only halfway on.sorry for your nonetheless
Interesting you say that my black ones do the same.
On previous P3A they did not.

Nope, didn't use my hand on the motor when tightening...you are probably correct that that was the issue. But I've always just spun them on without holding the motor still. I'd have thought the issue would have arises when I started the motors or at least 5' to 10' off the ground.

This has happened to me before. I was rushing through set up, put black prop on gray one almost forcefully then realized that it was obviously on the wrong motor. I never bothered checking on it and less that 4 min into flight flew right off while I was on a lake. Bird lost. Lesson learned these are not the P2 metal hub props that are tougher than the plastic hub P3. Plus side they're half the cost so naturally I have so many props I don't know what to do. Lesson learned: I switch out my props every 20 flights, I don't care what anyone else says, they're so cheap they're worth investing into. Also if my prop does accidentally go on wrong hub again that prop is going straight to the garbage. Not worth risking $1000 for $6 fix. Those plastic hubs strip very easily. Wish they could find a way to bring back metal hub, or equivalent strength without them flying off during braking process.

I always spin the props until the motor spins and then give them one last hand tightening while holding the motor. The magnetic resistance of the motors alone doesn't exert enough force to make sure the props are on completely, especially when dealing with plastic hub threads that can deform easier then metal ones.

Reactions: dirtybum
Yes - there have been other threads similar to this. When the P2V came out, we were instructed by DJI that we could just spin the props on. But since the P3 came out, we learned that we must physically hand tighten each prop after the spin on - holding the motor with one hand and holding the prop with the other - and tightening it snugly just a bit further.

Sorry for your loss.

I switch out my props every 20 flights, I don't care what anyone else says, they're so cheap they're worth investing into. Also if my prop does accidentally go on wrong hub again that prop is going straight to the garbage. Not worth risking $1000 for $6 fix. Those plastic hubs strip very easily. Wish they could find a way to bring back metal hub, or equivalent strength without them flying off during braking process.

Where do you buy your props from?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would think that if a motor froze up, it could cause a prop to spin off. Does your propless motor feel okay?

S

I buy them at Target. $6 a pair, and you know they are genuine DJI

Target? You must live in the US, it's difficult to get DJI parts anywhere here in Australia. I think the few companies that do deal with DJI charge about $19 for a set.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry about your accident that stinks.

I always spin the prop on until it stops. Then I hold the motor with one hand and snug the prop up by grabbing the hub between my thumb and forefinger and turning. Not really tight but for sure make certain that it is on and snugged up. I really haven't had any real problems or hit anything with the props because I fly in primarily open areas. I almost always hand catch unless i'm just messing around but if there is any wind at all hand catch to prevent the tip over issue. I used to leave the props on in the case (microraptor) but I don't like to do that because I'm afraid the foam could be weighing on the props. I do think that taking the props on and off will cause wear on the hub though so replacing the props occasionally is probably not a bad idea.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik