Catasptrophic failure - P2V+ 1 week old wrecked

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Unfortunately, there aren't any dealers here in Perth, Western Australia, so I bought it directly from DJI website. I have emailed them several times & sent photos of the damage... No response whatsoever!

yeah I know what you mean ... living down here is long way from any of these bods way up north :) .... from what I know mine came from AUST via camera company here in NZ, so I think there is an actual Aussie dealer somehwhere over there.

jimdenburg said:
Make sure to pop the top off that thing and check all of the solder point between the Board/ESCs/Motor/Battery. Some of these solders have been noted to be bad and they can disconnect from the contacts on the main board. The way you described the failure fits this type of scenario and it should be covered.

problem is trying to get DJI to respond to my **** emails...

Don't give up hope. The p2v+ is new and if there's something wrong with it, dji will probably want to know. Have you contacted the service center for your region (I guess it would be Asia/APAC)? They may be able to help more.

ElGuano said:
Don't give up hope. The p2v+ is new and if there's something wrong with it, dji will probably want to know. Have you contacted the service center for your region (I guess it would be Asia/APAC)? They may be able to help more.

Hi, I just received another email from DJI today. They said since I purchased it directly from DJI, I will have to return it (at my expense) to DJI Innovations in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Also said they would conduct extensive testing of the unit & inform me as to THE COST of repairing it.
Now if the problem is intermittent and it makes it through their tests, obviously they will say it must have been pilot error. The other thing that concerns me is if they go ahead and fix it & charge me hundreds of $$$, I don't want to have to pay $800 for repairs for something that wasn't my fault...

Phantom_Menace66 said:
ElGuano said:

Hi, I just received another email from DJI today. They said since I purchased it directly from DJI, I will have to return it (at my expense) to DJI Innovations in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Also said they would conduct extensive testing of the unit & inform me as to THE COST of repairing it.
Now if the problem is intermittent and it makes it through their tests, obviously they will say it must have been pilot error. The other thing that concerns me is if they go ahead and fix it & charge me hundreds of $$$, I don't want to have to pay $800 for repairs for something that wasn't my fault...

i think, you have no other alternative, none. its cheaper(?) to have dji to fix it and a safe way. you might got lucky and get it for free. okay, sale it or have it fix and then sale it.

Having your engine crashing during your first flight makes you feel a bit stupid! But i know i did nothing wrong....
Dji replied to me asking to send them a screenshot of my update tab what I did (3.02). I'm waiting their answer and let you know...

personally, I would not look to fix your drone. The parts will probably be expensive, unless your really savvy at this, you might just be putting together a defective drone, with good parts and it might just do the same. Do yourself a favor just order a new one...and good luck with the next one...i myself have flown about 8 times..never updated firmware, don't fly NAZA don't use home lock and so far so good...mine did tip over after i landed because propellers didn't shut down...now a little wonky going up..spins a little may just need a calibration with software...good luck again.

1peace said:
Having your engine crashing during your first flight makes you feel a bit stupid! But i know i did nothing wrong....
Dji replied to me asking to send them a screenshot of my update tab what I did (3.02). I'm waiting their answer and let you know...

Excellent, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say

abacus01 said:
personally, I would not look to fix your drone. The parts will probably be expensive, unless your really savvy at this, you might just be putting together a defective drone, with good parts and it might just do the same. Do yourself a favor just order a new one...and good luck with the next one...i myself have flown about 8 times..never updated firmware, don't fly NAZA don't use home lock and so far so good...mine did tip over after i landed because propellers didn't shut down...now a little wonky going up..spins a little may just need a calibration with software...good luck again.

I somewhat agree with you. If it is repaired under warranty if they find a fault, that's great. But I am not going to pay in the vicinity of $800 for new gimbal/camera when an entire new unit is $1300

Mine was in the air for two minutes after unboxing and it took a ****, made all the calls to DJI and they had me send it back, They have had it for a month now and when I emailed them (3 times before I got a response) they basically said don't call us we'll call you, and if you do call us it may delay your repair. I think if and when I get it back I'm going to sell this POS and try someone else's, but I think I'll call their support line a few times first just to see how long it takes to get through. I think I would settle for a lesser drone with better customer support.

cbjr1960 said:
Mine was in the air for two minutes after unboxing and it took a ****, made all the calls to DJI and they had me send it back, They have had it for a month now and when I emailed them (3 times before I got a response) they basically said don't call us we'll call you, and if you do call us it may delay your repair. I think if and when I get it back I'm going to sell this POS and try someone else's, but I think I'll call their support line a few times first just to see how long it takes to get through. I think I would settle for a lesser drone with better customer support.

They've had it a month? That settles it, I'm not sending mine back!

a brand-spanking-new p2v+ crashed due to defect parts, purchased directly from dji store wont let exchange for a new one nor fix it for no charge at all. only in china :twisted:

mtpisgah said:
a brand-spanking-new p2v+ crashed due to defect parts, purchased directly from dji store wont let exchange for a new one nor fix it for no charge at all. only in china :twisted:

That figures. They sent me an email advising me to send it to Kowoon in Hong Kong for assessment!? Also said they'd advise me how much it will cost to repair! I can see it now... I send it back and never see it again

I feel really bad for you guys and I'm thankful that I have not had a problem. I've been paying close attention to these forums and I do no believe that there is an inherent and reoccurring problem with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus or the flight software. These flyaways, crashes and falls from the sky appear to me to be a combination of pilot error and mechanical or electrical failure. A power connection shakes loose, down she goes. A motor seizes, the others go nuts and it flies away. The sun spews and the GPS loses its home location.

I do believe that DJI is experiencing growing pains and their quality control should be more robust. Those who have lost crafts or had them fall from the sky are justifiably angry. I know I would be! I have a feeling that the anger being vented in these forums is making it appear that the frequency of failure is higher than it really is. Many of us are tickled pink with our new toys. I hope I have many more months of failure free flying. I also know that when I send something that is capable of flying 30+ MPH over 400 feet into the air attached to me only by a radio signal, I'm taking a big risk. If it DOESN'T crash, I consider myself lucky. Aint it thrilling to be an early adopter?!

D_Tshudy said:
I feel really bad for you guys and I'm thankful that I have not had a problem. I've been paying close attention to these forums and I do no believe that there is an inherent and reoccurring problem with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus or the flight software. These flyaways, crashes and falls from the sky appear to me to be a combination of pilot error and mechanical or electrical failure. A power connection shakes loose, down she goes. A motor seizes, the others go nuts and it flies away. The sun spews and the GPS loses its home location.

I do believe that DJI is experiencing growing pains and their quality control should be more robust. Those who have lost crafts or had them fall from the sky are justifiably angry. I know I would be! I have a feeling that the anger being vented in these forums is making it appear that the frequency of failure is higher than it really is. Many of us are tickled pink with our new toys. I hope I have many more months of failure free flying. I also know that when I send something that is capable of flying 30+ MPH over 400 feet into the air attached to me only by a radio signal, I'm taking a big risk. If it DOESN'T crash, I consider myself lucky. Aint it thrilling to be an early adopter?!

I think part of the anger/frustration is brought about by just having spent $1300+ on something that now lays in a mangled heap on the ground. Agreed, there are inherent risks involved with anything that flies & without meaning to flog a dead horse (or Phantom) Mine had just took off & was ascending slowly in a huge open field & it just fell out of the sky. I do think however, that DJI are clearly on a winner with this latest innovation in aerial photography & perhaps under estimated its popularity. They are now faced with the dilemma of trying to meet demand, QC is obviously suffering as a result of pressure to get these things assembled & get them out to customers.
It's like anything, a small amount of failures, crashes etc seem to stand out amongst the thousand of stories of happy customers & I'm sure these stories of failure will filter back to DJI eventually & we can only hope someone there will take the time to look into it.
Not one to be easily discouraged, I have ordered a new P2V+ & I'm looking forward to its arrival. Probably money that could have been better spent elsewhere, but we only live once right?

I've been contemplating buying the "Toronto" P2 kit from DSLRPros for months now and haven't pulled the trigger due mostly to the issues you guys have experienced. I can't afford to buy a new one if mine decides to fly away or crash. I contacted my insurance company and asked if my policy would cover hobby aerial photo/video gear, including a drone and they said they could add a special rider for "all-risk, stated value" of whatever I want. So I gave them the scenario of me flying my P2 a hundred miles from my home and it decides it would rather be a submarine and explore the bottom of the lake. They said it would be covered and I wouldn't have to pay a deductible, and that a stated value of $3000 would add $39 per year to my Home Owners Insurance premium. That's a small price to pay for knowing I can get a replacement if something like this happens. So, I'll be pulling that trigger in a couple of weeks.

jsunww said:
I've been contemplating buying the "Toronto" P2 kit from DSLRPros for months now and haven't pulled the trigger due mostly to the issues you guys have experienced. I can't afford to buy a new one if mine decides to fly away or crash. I contacted my insurance company and asked if my policy would cover hobby aerial photo/video gear, including a drone and they said they could add a special rider for "all-risk, stated value" of whatever I want. So I gave them the scenario of me flying my P2 a hundred miles from my home and it decides it would rather be a submarine and explore the bottom of the lake. They said it would be covered and I wouldn't have to pay a deductible, and that a stated value of $3000 would add $39 per year to my Home Owners Insurance premium. That's a small price to pay for knowing I can get a replacement if something like this happens. So, I'll be pulling that trigger in a couple of weeks.
If you buy the Vplus from Amazon you can purchase the additional drops and spills warranty from SafeGuard, other retailers may offer the same plan but I have only seen it on Amazon.
$80 bucks for four years.

Skipholiday said:
If you buy the Vplus from Amazon you can purchase the additional drops and spills warranty from SafeGuard, other retailers may offer the same plan but I have only seen it on Amazon.

Yeah, but I don't want to have to use my cell phone for FPV and I want to add goggles in the future. Plus, isn't the GoPro 3+ Black a much better camera? I'd definitly use the higher resolution for zooming/cropping and still get great quality at 1080.

jsunww said:
Skipholiday said:

Yeah, but I don't want to have to use my cell phone for FPV and I want to add goggles in the future. Plus, isn't the GoPro 3+ Black a much better camera? I'd definitly use the higher resolution for zooming/cropping and still get great quality at 1080.
Your posting in the Vision+ plus forum. Which has a 14mp camera and 3d gimbal. You have more camera controls from the app than you will have with the GoPro. You want the Phantom 2 forum where you can add your own camera. http://www.phantompilots.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Skipholiday said:
jsunww said:
Skipholiday said:

Your posting in the Vision+ plus forum. Which has a 14mp camera and 3d gimbal. You have more camera controls from the app than you will have with the GoPro. You want the Phantom 2 forum where you can add your own camera. http://www.phantompilots.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Thanks Skipholiday. My first post wasn't really about any specific version of the Phantom, but more about a possible way to prevent loosing so much money in the event of a crash, which I thought was appropriate for this particular thread. I'll head over to the P2 forum now...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31