Casey Neistat is on the case with the Mavic Pro

Reaction score
So here he is...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: gerfoto and SqdBoss
The footage looked very lack lustre, unsharp and out of focus. I wonder what his settings were.

The Digital Rev guys did a quick and dirty comparison with the P4 (link to that part here) the footage looked better than Casey's but still less sharp zoomed-in.

I've pre-ordered one of these, so will retain judgement until I can test it myself, but If the image quality can't match the P3 I may return it.

Yes. His footage looked very soft. If this is what we can expect for quality - that is disappointing.

I've pre-ordered one of these, so will retain judgement until I can test it myself, but If the image quality can't match the P3 I may return it.

It's already been shown to be not as good as the P4, so I suspect it's true of the P3 as well. However, it does still look good. The sensor is not as good as the P4s.

yeah - Everything looked amazing .. until he showed the footage.. looks a little fuzzy to me to use for such long distance shots?

If you looks at this though - these guys adjust the camera setting at this point (5mins 40 seconds in) to make it look much better.

Skip to 5mins 40 seconds in.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: edoginasia
It's already been shown to be not as good as the P4, so I suspect it's true of the P3 as well. However, it does still look good. The sensor is not as good as the P4s.
On paper it's the same sensor as the P4 which in turn is the same sensor as the P3. The main difference is the optics, i.e, the lens and glass. The Mavic lens has a larger focal distance (narrower FOV) and is f/2.2 opposed to f/2.8. This is likely where the issue will be, if there does turn out to be an issue. For all we know it could be a settings discrepecy or a software glitch which can be smoothed out.

Last edited:
I bet on that, most probably with wrong settings.
There´s no raison concerning to hardware to have worst results.

Im a big fan of Casey's blog and I thought the footage looked a little soft compared to the P4 (and 3 for that matter)

For those who haven't seen his vlogs, have a look, I dot think there are any better storytellers on YouTube, he is a pretty mean editor too.

On paper it's the same sensor as the P4 which in turn is the same sensor as the P3. The main difference is the optics, i.e, the lens and glass. The Mavic lens has a larger focal distance (narrower FOV) and is f/2.2 opposed to f/2.8. This is likely where the issue will be, if there does turn out to be an issue. For all we know it could be a settings discrepecy or a software glitch which can be smoothed out.

Yeah, didn't the P4 have a firmware issue that caused blurry recorded and live image that was fixed with new firmware??

Reactions: Jaybee
I understand there is a bubble over the camera that can be removed or left in place while shooting video. How can you accurately judge the video not knowing if the bubble was in place or not?

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
I understand there is a bubble over the camera that can be removed or left in place while shooting video. How can you accurately judge the video not knowing if the bubble was in place or not?
I looked for the bubble in those vids and could not see it.

Yeah, didn't the P4 have a firmware issue that caused blurry recorded and live image that was fixed with new firmware??
Yeah, fingers crossed. These are all pre-release units / firmware.

Video quality so far seems a bit poor. Hopefully it's due to them being pre-release units

Download some straight from Mavic SD card footage for yourself and run it through your editing software of choice. I just put this through Premiere pro and added some sharpening and the footage was stunning - Dropbox - DJI_0011.MOV

Reactions: Jaybee
Download some straight from Mavic SD card footage for yourself and run it through your editing software of choice. I just put this through Premiere pro and added some sharpening and the footage was stunning - Dropbox - DJI_0011.MOV
Looks great. Where did you find that?

can you repost this on google drive or something, seems dropbox is limiting the file.

When he's holding and talking about the drone in the beginning of his video he keeps putting his hands where the camera is. My guess is - he didn't clean the lens before he flew outside.

It's not the same sensor and not the same on paper. I'm not saying that the Mavric camera is not good... it's very good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers