Cases for Phantom Vision

Got my case from http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-14355

It looks like it should work well for carry on and it seems the drone, controller and spare battery will fit. It came with 3 layers of foam and only the top one is pluckable which seems to be a pain since you at least need to cut through the 2nd layer.

Impressed with the quality of the case so far. May have to look into getting new foam though. Plucking was a bit harder than I expected.

I am about to take the case on a series of Delta flights in the US and will report on how carrying it on went.

Agreed! I bought the same case and it seems to be just fine.
I moved the pluck layer to the middle though where it acts more like a filler between the 2 non pluck layers, which I cut out using a serrated kitchen knife kind of like a saw. Turned out right to my liking. Area's in the pluck layer which tore away from what I really wanted, I glued back with a light coat of contact cement. The contact cement holds it a-ok.

Use coupon code BCKTEN and EMD359 and you'll be able to get 2 for $52 shipped to you. Sell the second on eBay for $75 and make money.

Geert said:
BallGame said:
Got my case from http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-14355

It looks like it should work well for carry on and it seems the drone, controller and spare battery will fit. It came with 3 layers of foam and only the top one is pluckable which seems to be a pain since you at least need to cut through the 2nd layer.

Impressed with the quality of the case so far. May have to look into getting new foam though. Plucking was a bit harder than I expected.

I am about to take the case on a series of Delta flights in the US and will report on how carrying it on went.
Looks nice.

Can you share a pic with your bird in the case ?

Sure, still have to add a slot for the battery. Right now I am using it without one of the layers of foam (one of the non pluckable layers). This means the landing skids of the copter are resting on the hard plastic of the case. I would like to come up with a protective covering for the motors to prevent any foam dust from entering and to stop the motors from putting holes in the upper foam. I like the medicine cup idea that another poster in this thread did.

[edited to fix images]

Attachments

• img1.JPG
    img1.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 584
  • img2.JPG
    img2.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 683
  • img3.JPG
    img3.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 694
I'm not comfortable with the height of the 1510. Seems to fall a bit too short.

I'm gonna go with the Pelican 1560. It's about 2 inches in depth over for Southwest's limit for carry-on dimensions and 4 inches in depth over for Delta's. However, I have flown 23+ times (x2 for roundtrip + connections = over 50+ times) this past year and have seen people clearly breaking these "limits" with their carry-on luggage. I've hardly ever seen anyone have an airline employee measure their carry-on in their dedicated measuring box / frame unless it looked especially bulky. I try to fly Southwest when I can, but sometimes have to fly Delta. The 4 inches over on depth might be tough getting into the overhead compartment, but I've seen crazier things going on there.

Jre said:
I'm not comfortable with the height of the 1510. Seems to fall a bit too short.

I'm gonna go with the Pelican 1560. It's about 2 inches in depth over for Southwest's limit for carry-on dimensions and 4 inches in depth over for Delta's. However, I have flown 23+ times (x2 for roundtrip + connections = over 50+ times) this past year and have seen people clearly breaking these "limits" with their carry-on luggage. I've hardly ever seen anyone have an airline employee measure their carry-on in their dedicated measuring box / frame unless it looked especially bulky. I try to fly Southwest when I can, but sometimes have to fly Delta. The 4 inches over on depth might be tough getting into the overhead compartment, but I've seen crazier things going on there.

If you fly soon let us know how it goes and what airline you flew. I have the 1560 too. It would be nice not to have to get a different case.

On another post a guy uses a 1510 and likes it. In the pics it does look very tight but it fits. I am eyeballing the 1510 too.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4790

I was searching for a case for some time. I kept coming across the same handful of brands that everyone has mentioned, so I though I'd pull the trigger on the Duratool, except everyone was out of stock at the time. So I went searching.

I took the little cardboard cradle that came in the Vision box with me, and searched a few places. Then I recalled someone mentioning a gun case on this forum, and I went to a gun store, asked for what they had that my cardboard would fit in, and I lucked up. $30 out the door for a used case, complete with foam, that looks and feels indestructible. I hope the pics I compressed and loaded show up, because its a good option for others. There were no brand markings, but I found a name on the key for the locks. A quick search led me to a few more brands to add to the list for cases. Jensen Tools, CH Ellis, and Chicago Case. They can be found on Stanleysupplyservices.com, and Alltimetools.com. The pics show the process of getting it to fit the phantom. If they don't show up, I may load them one or two at a time.

Hope these options help.

Rich

I received the ToughCase for the P2V from TradeCraftCases.com
and found that the foam cutout around the top of the compartment for
the RC Transmitter might not be designed properly, it seems.

In TradeCraft's picture of the case with the P2V packed in the case,
it shows that TradeCraft mounted the arm (that holds the Smartphone)
incorrectly, on the sloping-down part of the "handle", instead of the
part that sticks straight out of the body of the case. In this mounting
position, the arm extends further from the user than is shown in the
DJI videos.

When the arm is mounted as DJI shows it, the arm and the phone
clamp mechanism would extend into the foam, instead of into the
cutout space where Trade Craft apparently intended it to go.

So, there is at least some mismatch in the two mounting positions.

I sent a message to TradeCraftCases, and we will see how they respond.

Can somebody clarify exactly how the mounting arm for the smartphone
should be mounted, please?

I tried both positions, and one seems to be a bit close, and the
other position a bit far. Maybe I just do not understand.
Thanks, Gary

Gary, the mounting bracket can be on either, the part that's comes straight from the back, ol the downward sloping part of the controller handle. Since the pivot ball allows for you to tilt the phone clasp, it shouldn't matter that much. also as long as its not on too tightly, you can tilt the arm left or right to have the phone closer or further away from the center of the controller. As for fitting it in the case, you should be able to bend alter the holder either let or right, and move the clasp, via the pivot ball, up or down to get in to fit. you may have to loosen the pivot ball or the metal bracket to make moving it around more convenient. Hope that helps.

Rich

This is my case and i like it a lot.

It was cut out for the Phantom 1 and with a bit of adjustment it is now fitting for the PV. For me it is important to not damage the compass and the props. With this setup i can take it everywhere i want no matter how the position is of the box.

They also give two keys if you want to lock it.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/DJI-Phantom-Quad ... 3cd3f46069

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 667
  • Up.jpg
    Up.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 672
  • Ontop.jpg
    Ontop.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 694
Drone7 said:
This is my case and i like it a lot.

It was cut out for the Phantom 1 and with a bit of adjustment it is now fitting for the PV. For me it is important to not damage the compass and the props. With this setup i can take it everywhere i want no matter how the position is of the box.

They also give two keys if you want to lock it.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/DJI-Phantom-Quad ... 3cd3f46069

Sorry for the size of the pictures.....

I can report that first commercial flight with my case went well. Case fits the RC with the booster and phone clamp on, Quad with props off, all 4 props, spare battery, and charger all in the case pretty comfortably. Will post completed pictures at some point. (case link http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-14355)

Went through TSA with no problem. I actually ended up checking the case at the gate since they were offering for free and I already had another checked bag but definitely think it would have fit over head.

Quad survived the trip well. The props drifted in the case but other than that I didn't have any problems.

garygid said:

Thanks, Gary

Gary - I'm a bit confused what you're confused with. The arm fits exactly like it's shown in the picture on the Tradecraft website? The mounting arm extends out toward the top right part of the bottom section of the case. I mean, how many different ways can it fit in there?

garygid said:

Thanks, Gary

I"m considering one of these cases, (since MCM is back-ordered till almost February on the Duratool cases) so I'm interested in their response... thanks for posting.

I have a Tradecraft case and I love it. When I first received it I noticed that the phone holder was wrong also. I think whoever designed it definitely had the holder mounted to the wrong part of the transmitter. I moved my holder to that spot and did not like it at all. It puts the phone too close to the antenna for my liking. So what I did was cut the foam the way it should have been cut in the first place. It was very easy to do. The foam is made up of multiple layers that are glued together. They did this because of the different depths of the various pockets. The top layer is about 1 inch thick and was the right depth for the phone holder. I really like this case. The foam is more rigid than the other types I've looked at. I highly recommend this case. It ships from Round Rock Texas.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I found that the manufacturer has participated in another thread in the General Discussion area. I asked them to come visit this thread as well:

Mosleyh said:
Tradecraftcases said:
MX45OR said:
Are anyones pins working out of the latches?

Found an easy solution for that, which we have fixed on all our cases now. Pull the pin out and put a dab of superglue or other thin strong glue inside the plastic latch hole where the pin goes. Reassemble the latch and pin. Center the latch and let it dry - be sure to wipe off any excess glue. Now, the latch holds the pin in and can't work itself out anymore.

@Tradecraftcases - Wondering if you're aware of the other thread about your cases here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3395&p=38583&hilit=Tradecraft#p38583

I think we could use your input...

There are two places to attach the arm that ends in the ball-joint
swivel and clamp-jaws that are normally used to hold the WiFi
display device, usually a smartphone.

The first place, and the more often used place, is with the arm attached to (clamped onto)
the metal handle, just outside of where it emerges from the Tx case.

The second place is further out on the same handle, just beyond the downward bend in the
handle. With the arm attached there, it was difficult to get the smartphone positioned well,
or so it seemed to me. However, I have essentially no real experience yet.

The foam in the ToughCase for the P2V was cut for the second arm position, not the first.
If you have the arm mounted in the first position, it will not fit down as intended
into the slot for the Tx case.

They responded that was right, and they would consider cutting their foam differently
in the future, to accomodate both attachment positions (and thus the two different
arm angles). So, a good response from them, I thought.

For me, they suggested that the foam is easy to cut, and that I could probably
perform some suitable surgery.

Mosleyh said:
I found that the manufacturer has participated in another thread in the General Discussion area. I asked them to come visit this thread as well:

Found an easy solution for that, which we have fixed on all our cases now. Pull the pin out and put a dab of superglue or other thin strong glue inside the plastic latch hole where the pin goes. Reassemble the latch and pin. Center the latch and let it dry - be sure to wipe off any excess glue. Now, the latch holds the pin in and can't work itself out anymore.

@Tradecraftcases - Wondering if you're aware of the other thread about your cases here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3395&p=38583&hilit=Tradecraft#p38583

I think we could use your input...[/quote][/quote]

Just FYI - I know some folks have received TradeCraft Cases, and are happy with them... however,
I've emailed them - not heard back. (Their FAQ claims 24 hour response)
I PM'ed them via this forum - not heard back.
Their last visit to this forum was on April 26 2013...
I have been unable to locate a phone number for them, via their website or elsewhere (often a red flag for me). If anyone has further info - it would be appreciated.
All that being said, JUST FYI ~ Buyer Beware...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl