Case for Phantom 1 with prop guards

Reaction score
Im looking for suggestions on either purchasing a case that is factory designed for the phantom with prop guards under $200 or creating my own for a lot cheaper. Anyone have suggestions? I don't want to have to remove the prop guards to fit in case. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

That is the biggest drawback to prop guards: no case to fit and too much to install in the field.

The case for them are the minor cuts I have from handling the blades and what they could do to an unwitting bystander or my self in (flight) operation.

Yes. I agree with you. Maybe I will just use a rubbermaid storage bin and by some foam to put inside.

I remove the laser-cut foam insert from my GoPro Professional case and simply carry the foam insert with the Phantom and accessories still inside to my SUV.

Turns out the Phantom foam insert itself fits perfectly inside the velcro divider tray from a large Pelican camera case (1620, I think), which provides a little extra padding on the sides and, especially, some support underneath. The guards still protrude an inch or so over the edge, but not enough that I worry. I've thought about adding some extra foam padding, but it doesn't really seem necessary. (To be clear, I'm just using the padded divider insert, not the Pelican case itself.)

I've ordered a large Mascourt utility tub (36x24x8) that I plan to leave in the back of my SUV for some added protection, but it's been very slow in arriving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AT ... UTF8&psc=1

For serious travel, I remove the prop guards and drop the foam insert back into the GoPro Pantom case. With a battery powered screwdriver, it really doesn't take more than a couple of minutes.

It's not a perfect solution, but it does turn out to be quite practical.

I've seen some drum cases, and other musical instrument cases that could be adapted to the Phantom. But they are fiendishly expensive.

Let us know if you find something out there in the $200 range that will hold a Phantom with guards!

Timtro said:
That is the biggest drawback to prop guards: no case to fit and too much to install in the field.

The case for them are the minor cuts I have from handling the blades and what they could do to an unwitting bystander or my self in (flight) operation.

You have minor cuts from just handling the blades??? Why are the blades so sharp?? I have carbon fiber props on mine and they don't cut me due to simple handling. You've got a Ninja Phantom on your hands. LOL!!

I'm thinking about the same thing...

After seeing the ~$200 cases out there that look pretty great it made me question - do I need the prop guards?

I'm waiting for a gimbal to show up so I'm thinking about weight as well. The plastic guards are heavier than the carbon fiber ones, but I'm just not sure that I need the guards.

I'm proficient with my Phantom and don't 'crash' it, but I do think about those occasions when I'm flying low, with people around, or even flying close to buildings. I don't want to hurt someone if they (or I) get too close... or if I were to bump a building at 200ft, I'd prefer a prop not break and the rig hit the ground.

Do any of you 'very experienced' pilots still use guards?
If so, plastic or carbon?

I've never used them. In the beginning, I would only take off and land in grassy areas.

It's been said before but I will say it again, they are great training wheels, once your trained get rid of them. If that afraid of people, don't fly so low that you'll slice and dice them.....common sense.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's what I have and I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for the exclusive case for the p2 to come out Monday and I'm going to get that. It hasn't been released yet by them.

DaveTavres said:
I'm thinking about the same thing...

After seeing the ~$200 cases out there that look pretty great it made me question - do I need the prop guards?

I'm waiting for a gimbal to show up so I'm thinking about weight as well. The plastic guards are heavier than the carbon fiber ones, but I'm just not sure that I need the guards.

I'm proficient with my Phantom and don't 'crash' it, but I do think about those occasions when I'm flying low, with people around, or even flying close to buildings. I don't want to hurt someone if they (or I) get too close... or if I were to bump a building at 200ft, I'd prefer a prop not break and the rig hit the ground.

Do any of you 'very experienced' pilots still use guards?
If so, plastic or carbon?

I had a set of plastic, had my only crash and the plastic broke. In all fairness it did its job because it protected the rest of the phantom like it was supposed to. Boought some carbon fiber ones, used them for a little while but now that I am proficient I never use them. Useless weight, phantom cant fit into the case, and I don't fly so close to people that I should have to worry about slicing their face off. I still keep them around hidden in the bottom of my case in case I ever do any woods flying I can take the extra 20 minutes and put the guards back on. But for 99% of my flying I have never put guards back on again. (Watch me jinx myself)

I have only been flying a quad for a couple of weeks and had bought the prop guards as I thought I would need them. Well, I flew with them 3 times and took them off, this thing is so easy to fly (I was a copter crew chief/Tech inspector in the Army) I felt I didn't need them, besides, I wanted a good case to protect my quad. After looking around on eBay I found a great one for only $100 new, with FREE SHIPPING. Here is the link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d0f08fc2 It is a great case and very sturdy. I had to trim some of the foam for the blades and acc pockets.
DSCF2917.JPG

DSCF2918.JPG

DSCF2919.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj