CASA confusion

Reaction score
I'm trying to work out how to stay 'legal' in Aus with my P3P and rang CASA to talk about it.

They were really helpful but the main gist was that common sense will go a long way whilst adhering to the 400' ceiling and 30m rule from people.

I believe I'm fine to fly around town as long as I adhere to this rules though if there is a 'problem', regardless of whether I'm licensed or not it will be my adherence to these rules and the outcome of the 'problem' that affects how I'm judged. i.e. fly near a landing helicopter and cause it to crash and I'm screwed; have a prop fail and hit a car and cause a crash and I might be in a better position if I have records to show I was high and flying safely at the time.

The biggie though is the 'near an airport' rule.

How am I to know where they all are? I'm not sure if there is an app and I can't educate myself if there is no source of information for the public.

It's kind of a catch 22 IMHO.

It seems that being 'safe' but 'oblivious' is no defence even if you think you're doing the right thing or that you are simply flying a toy.

How do we legally fly for fun and be safe?

The commercial rules for under 2kg RPAS might not be out 'til sometime in 2016 but even then I'm not sure how much clearer things will get.

On iOS there is an app called 'Safe to Fly' that show a lot of no go areas.

You will not get one clear answer on any forum as everyone interprets the rules differently and so many "experts" offer varied opinions.

Best I can suggest is the common sense approach. If you have doubts whether you should fly somewhere don't.

There is a good Facebook group called "DJI Owners Australia" that may know more about Australia specific laws.

Sorry if this wasn't much help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik