Carrying Phantom 2 onto commercial flights?

Lots of us have taken Phantoms on international flights as well as domestic ones. The key point is to take it as carry-on luggage. Most airlines will not let you put the Phantom batteries in the hold. The Phantom's much less likely to be damaged if it's in the cabin anyway.

Just flew with United, Belfast, New York, Houston, Dallas. Only security check was in Belfast and thats because they were inquisitive. TSA see these all the time. I travelled at 40% charge with 3 batteries. I taped over the contacts just to ease through any nervous security staff but there is really no need.

I just flew through Germany and Italy with my Phantom 2, FPV and 3 batteries in my carry on with a Pelican 1510. Germany security gates were extra slow and diligent in inspection, whereas the Italians just had questions because they thought it was cool. Inspection took same amount of time as when I travel with SLR and lens gear. Flew Air Canada, Lufthansa and Volotea.

I traveled to/from Europe this year with V+ in check through luggage. No issues at all.

Back and forth LAX <> Chicago for the past several weeks on American and Virgin America. No issues. Carry on using an HPRC case.

Batteries should always be carry-on. Just got back from Cayman. Been several domestic flights. My hrc case is too big for overhead so i check it. Once the TSA removed the gimble protector and thru it in the bottom of the case but it arrived ok.

I fly international almost weekly with my P2 carry on in GoProfessional case. Never had any problems other than occasional Q&A with airport security and Mexican customs, but even that is starting to diminish as more and more people learn about quads. I always carry on batteries, as fire in the hold is bad for everyone on board.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj