Carrying a Phantom

Reaction score
Hello all, I've got a question and was wondering if there is a consensus on the best way to carry a phantom? Now I would think the best way would be of course horizontal like it was sitting on the landing gear and while it's in a case and say in your vehicle while traveling to a particular site I'm sure that would be the best, but let's say you are going to hike to a particular area to fly and you will be carrying the drone in the case on your back. My main question is, the drone will now be vertical in the case on your back so is there a best way to orientate the drone to put the least amount of stress on the gimble? Should camera face up, down, or sideways? Of course gimble lock is on but no matter how it's orientated it squashes down 2 of the white vibration groumet things. I'm sure that's not hard on those but is there a best way so that as the whole camera/gimble assembly leans down from gravity it puts the least wear on the delicate wiring?

Thanks for all your input

I use both of the gimbal locks that came with the drone when hiking in the mountains. And I mostly fly in the mountains. That means 4 to 8 hours long trips and of a fast walk.

And this is how I pack my drone for hiking in the mountains. You can also see my crampons that I use in winter on one of the photos.

WP_20160310_17_12_58_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160310_17_34_37_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160310_18_15_31_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20160310_18_19_27_Pro_LI.jpg

Hello all, I've got a question and was wondering if there is a consensus on the best way to carry a phantom? Now I would think the best way would be of course horizontal like it was sitting on the landing gear and while it's in a case and say in your vehicle while traveling to a particular site I'm sure that would be the best, but let's say you are going to hike to a particular area to fly and you will be carrying the drone in the case on your back. My main question is, the drone will now be vertical in the case on your back so is there a best way to orientate the drone to put the least amount of stress on the gimble? Should camera face up, down, or sideways? Of course gimble lock is on but no matter how it's orientated it squashes down 2 of the white vibration groumet things. I'm sure that's not hard on those but is there a best way so that as the whole camera/gimble assembly leans down from gravity it puts the least wear on the delicate wiring?

Thanks for all your input

I have no choice. Mine only fits into my back one way. I would be inclined to say it does not matter.

I use two different backpacks, the DJI Multifunctional backpack and the LowePro BP 450 AW. Both of these hold the P4 in place very well. I think the key is to keep the P4 in place so its not bouncing around and other items in the pack aren't bouncing or rubbing on it I also use the gimbal lock too.

I've taken my P4 on the back of my motorcycle on some really rough off-road places with lots of washboard and potholes. While you cold clearly see the backpack was bounced around in the top case, the P4 was just fine...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic