Carry your P3 with the camera facing upward in your backpack

Reaction score
When I carry my P3P in my Manfrotto backpack, the camera used to be facing downward. However, I notice that it may stress out the soft white vibration absorbers and lead to a premature wear and tear (see Photo 1). It will be the same no matter which direction you put.

Photo 1

I have now put back the white foam to the back of the gimbal and carry my P3P with the camera facing upward. This is the best way to keep the soft vibration absorbers in good shape (see Photo 2). Just have to remember to remove the white foam and gimbal clamp before your flight.

Photo 2

How do you like your Manfrotto backpack for the P3?

I have one on preorder at B&H.

How do you like your Manfrotto backpack for the P3?

I have one on preorder at B&H.

I have enjoyed using the Manfrotto backpack with my P3P so far. Despite its slightly taller landing gear as compared to the P2, it fits into the main compartment snugly. The build quality is good too and I love the black and red colour theme.

(I have now put my P3P with the camera facing upward)

It looks like a nice tight protective fit. Providing plenty of cushioning.
Thanks for sharing the preferred, inverted carrying position.
Helps others before they acquire & use theirs.
How many extra batteries would that one hold comfortably?

RedHotPoker

It says it holds 5-6 but of course he will be able to tell us better. I use large Pelican cases for all my videography gear, but my thoughts are for this bird is to have it in a backpack so I can hike with it, take it places more covertly, ect.

Unlike the the more expensive DJI Phantom Backpack which is customised for Phantom 2/3, the Manfrotto backpack is meant for DSLR and does not come with the customised pouches where you can store your batteries (see pics below):

DJI Phantom Backpack (US$329)
https://store.dji.com/product/manfrotto-dji-35-pl

Manfrotto Backpack (US$199)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_3n1_35_3n1_35_pro_light_sling_backpack.html

Nevertheless, you can always buy a cheap neoprene pouch, sew a velcro to the back and attach like the DJI Phantom Backpack to store your batteries. I have ordered two from Aliexpress but have yet to receive:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/F099...-Bag-Case-L-Size-with-Velcro/32236060538.html
(I have ordered the 'L' size which should fit the P3 battery)

Last edited:
When I carry my P3P in my Manfrotto backpack, the camera used to be facing downward. However, I notice that it may stress out the soft white vibration absorbers and lead to a premature wear and tear (see Photo 1). It will be the same no matter which direction you put.

Photo 1

I have now put back the white foam to the back of the gimbal and carry my P3P with the camera facing upward. This is the best way to keep the soft vibration absorbers in good shape (see Photo 2). Just have to remember to remove the white foam and gimbal clamp before your flight.

Photo 2

I'm getting a backpack for my P3P but I threw out that piece of foam a week ago. Any suggestions on something else I could use or a different method I can use?

Did you have the clear plastic pins inside two of the white shock absorbers? I would have thought that takes some of the stress off? I carry mine in a backpack with the camera facing sideways and havent had any problems yet (but I am only a couple of weeks in).

I have upgraded the supplied gimbal clamp though to this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161715349212?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Did you have the clear plastic pins inside two of the white shock absorbers? I would have thought that takes some of the stress off? I carry mine in a backpack with the camera facing sideways and havent had any problems yet (but I am only a couple of weeks in).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161715349212?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Nice design, but $52.00 for a lens cap and clamp seems a bit much don't you think?

I am in the UK so I thought £23.99 inc delivery was fair (appreciate it works out a little more expensive from outside UK). I looked at all the alternatives....and this looked like the best design by far. I suppose good quality always costs a little more. Makes me more confident trundling around with it in my backpack. Given how much I had already spent on my Phantom it didnt seem like a huge amount more to protect it.

I am in the UK so I thought £23.99 inc delivery was fair (appreciate it works out a little more expensive from outside UK). I looked at all the alternatives....and this looked like the best design by far. I suppose good quality always costs a little more. Makes me more confident trundling around with it in my backpack. Given how much I had already spent on my Phantom it didnt seem like a huge amount more to protect it.

Does that gimbal guard protect the gimbal from leaning when being transported? I don't want the gimbal unit to smush the shock absorbers and potentially weaken them.

Does that gimbal guard protect the gimbal from leaning when being transported? I don't want the gimbal unit to smush the shock absorbers and potentially weaken them.

No it doesn't - but the clear plastic pins that go through the shock absorbers prevent the platform from moving more than about 5mm sideways anyway - so when your aircraft is lying on it's side it is the plastic pins that are taking the weight/strain not the shock absorbers.

I just got in the DJI backpack and it's super nice. Sure the SLR backpack is cheaper but it wasn't designed for the Phantom so there are compromises. I don't want to keep trying backpacks that may work but weren't perfect. I finally broke down and bought the official backpack and it's super high quality. This pack oozes quality. People can ***** about the price but do you want something that is perfect with additional storage for actual drone related accessories or do you want to compromise and just deal with the imperfections. You probably have about $2k wrapped up in the Phantom including a tablet why not have a great pack? Live a little.

Reactions: JB63
I agree with BrewserB, I did the same, i spent the 329 on the DJI backpack and i couldn't be happier. Everything fits, its looks nicer than any other backpack and case i used in the pass and it gives you extra space to add a bunch of extras..

Flexible lens cover and gimbal clamp for DJI Phantom 3

I ordered this one on Amazon, looks like yours. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SLYAO2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I just got in the DJI backpack and it's super nice. Sure the SLR backpack is cheaper but it wasn't designed for the Phantom so there are compromises. I don't want to keep trying backpacks that may work but weren't perfect. I finally broke down and bought the official backpack and it's super high quality. This pack oozes quality. People can ***** about the price but do you want something that is perfect with additional storage for actual drone related accessories or do you want to compromise and just deal with the imperfections. You probably have about $2k wrapped up in the Phantom including a tablet why not have a great pack? Live a little.

Agree fully. I got mine from Micro-Center few days ago .. it was on sale (and discontinued?) for $95 ... not bad I think. My 'few' gripes with the official backpack are:

1. Can't put the propeller guards in there, either attached or not.
2. Can't house the controller with the tab mount installed (even folded)

So, it does not house everything, but for sure is my preferred pack for travel and long-term storage (on those cold winter nights where you really do not want to try your luck).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan