Carolina Panthers stadium flyover = Police involved

pierrelogic said:
There are countless examples of stadium flyovers available on youtube.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to do. ;)

There are countless examples of people crashing their motorcycles and cars on youtube, too. Doesn't mean I should go out and do it.

ProfessorStein said:
pierrelogic said:
There are countless examples of stadium flyovers available on youtube.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to do. ;)

There are countless examples of people crashing their motorcycles and cars on youtube, too. Doesn't mean I should go out and do it.

I'd really appreciate that when I'm 'quoted' the entire statement is included...not just part of it. Paraphrasing is a slippery slope to ride. You left out this.....

pierrelogic said:
This one is one of my favorites although I personally would never try this or anything like it. Between 4 1/2 minutes through the end of 6 minutes that drone is really up there.

Two words -- GET PERMISSION. If you have approval to fly and have aerial photography insurance the cops won't bother you.

I find it interesting that in a story about illegally flying over a stadium included ariel shots from much higher altitude than the Phantom flew.

LuvMyTJ said:
I find it interesting that in a story about illegally flying over a stadium included ariel shots from much higher altitude than the Phantom flew.

We have to assume that they had clearance in advance of the shoot. It's one thing to fly over with a professional helicopter pilot that has experience from the Iraq war with prior consent from all parties involved, and quite another for some jackass who shows up unannounced with his Phantom and hasn't even bothered to read the manual.

I just don't get the parity...

CarlJ said:
We have to assume that they had clearance in advance of the shoot. It's one thing to fly over with a professional helicopter pilot that has experience from the Iraq war with prior consent from all parties involved

And, again, a professional helicopter pilot, especially one getting paid for aerial photography, is going to have liability insurance should something go wrong.

ProfessorStein said:
CarlJ said:
We have to assume that they had clearance in advance of the shoot. It's one thing to fly over with a professional helicopter pilot that has experience from the Iraq war with prior consent from all parties involved

And, again, a professional helicopter pilot, especially one getting paid for aerial photography, is going to have liability insurance should something go wrong.

And there are flight rules that only apply to a specific flight location.

Special Federal Aviation Regulation No. 50-2—Special Flight Rules in the Vicinity of the Grand Canyon National Park, AZ

Section 1. Applicability. This rule prescribes special operating rules for all persons operating aircraft in the following airspace, designated as the Grand Canyon National Park Special Flight Rules Area:

That airspace extending upward from the surface up to but not including 14,500 feet MSL within an area bounded by a line beginning at lat. 36°09′30″ N., long. 114°03′00″ W.; northeast to lat. 36°14′00″ N., long. 113°09′50″ W.; thence northeast along the boundary of the Grand Canyon National Park to lat. 36°24′47″ N., long. 112°52′00″ W.; to lat. 36°30′30″ N., long. 112°36′15″ W. to lat. 36°21′30″ N., long. 112°00′00″ W. to lat. 36°35′30″ N., long. 111°53′10″ W., to lat. 36°53′00″ N., long. 111°36′45″ W. to lat. 36°53′00″ N., long. 111°33′00″ W.; to lat. 36°19′00″ N., long. 111°50′50″ W.; to lat. 36°17′00″ N., long. 111°42′00″ W.; to lat. 35°59′30″ N., long. 111°42′00″ W.; to lat. 35°57′30″ N., long. 112°03′55″ W.; thence counterclockwise via the 5 statute mile radius of the Grand Canyon Airport airport reference point (lat. 35°57′09″ N., long. 112°08′47″ W.) to lat. 35°57′30″ N., long. 112°14′00″ W.; to lat. 35°57′30″ N., long. 113°11′00″ W.; to lat. 35°42′30″ N., long. 113°11′00″ W.; to 35°38′30″ N.; long. 113°27′30″ W.; thence counterclockwise via the 5 statute mile radius of the Peach Springs VORTAC to lat. 35°41′20″ N., long. 113°36′00″ W.; to lat. 35°55′25″ N., long. 113°49′10″ W.; to lat. 35°57′45″ N., 113°45′20″ W.; thence northwest along the park boundary to lat. 36°02′20″ N., long. 113°50′15″ W.; to 36°00′10″ N., long. 113°53′45″ W.; thence to the point of beginning.

rgc2005 said:
... anyone can be arrested/detained/cited for their state's version of Disorderly Conduct, Menacing, Wanton Endangerment and Interfering With Government Operations. These statutes are very broadly written and have very liberal PC guidelines which makes them extremely powerful tools.

and extemely hard to successfully prosecute.

rgc2005 said:
That is why pilots should always be polite and compliant as possible when dealing with local and state police.

No. People should always be polite when dealing with anyone, police officer or not.

ProfessorStein said:
CarlJ said:

Surely the biggest comparison has nothing to do with permission and insurance. A helicopter has mechanical linkages between the pilot and control surface, and has the ability to autorotate with an engine failure. I am sure far more drones drop from the sky than commercial helicopters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers