Carbon props

Reaction score
New props came today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121090066480?ss ... 1439.l2649

9 days from purchase to delivery, pretty fast from HK!

These came already balanced! I was surprised when I saw that they had some light sanding on the undersides, and sure enough, almost perfect balance. (I did add a tiny bit of tape on two of the four though)

I'll see how they stack up with a test flight in a while.

Gizmo3000 said:
Report back on how you like 'em!

Those look like the props to get until graupner gets out of bankruptcy

Didn't get a chance to get out today, maybe tomorrow during a lull in the Masters. I know they sure look sweet on my new baby. They are stiff as knives but not so narrow as the Graups. But the ebay guy that sold them to me wanted to know how I like them, too. I guess he wants to sell a lot of these. At $20 for a set of four, it's the poor guy's Graupners. But maybe they are just as good?

Stiffer props have been blamed for cracks in the shell at the motor bolt holes. Seems that the more flexible Dji props are more forgiving in a mishap. I'm not going to the stiffer props until I have some more flight time. When I do I think I'll put some double sided masking tape between the motor and the shell. This might keep the shell from cracking by taking "SOME" of the stress off the bolts.

Over a month ago, they only had the 9x5 carbon fiber, so I tried a set but had trouble with too much oscillation and toilet bowl effect, no matter how I set the GAIN. Next, I got the 9x4.7 with the same result so I cut them down to 8x4.7 and again no smooth flight. Adding more weight helps a little.
Then they came out with 8x4.5 and this time, I'm sold and ordered another set the next day. Why? Because it flew with rock solid hovering and smooth transition to forward flight. Quick descending with less rocking than stock.

For the weight comparison: stock white = 6.2 g. stock black = 6.5 g. Graupner = 8.7 g. carbon fiber = 7 g.
The first batch came with 7.5 mm hole so I had to ream to fit. But now they came out with keyed hole to fit just the Phantom. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321093017783?ss ... 1439.l2649

Order 2 pairs.

Note all the 3 sets that I bought 3 out of 4 have perfect balance.
Once installed, check the blade tracking by turning the blade so that one tip is right over the arm and look at the gap between the tip and the shell. Then check to see if the opposite tip yields the same size gap which should be about 1/4".
If not you can file the hub on the "high" side (just slightly) and test again.

I took them off for now and use the stock because I am practicing FPV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20