Carbon Gimbal Protector - useful?

Reaction score
My P3S arrives tomorrow (woohoo) and in searching out accessories etc I've seen various gimbal proctors that fit in the bottom of the landing gear.

Are they useful? I've tried searching but nothing specific came up.

Only thing is I would need to cut some of the plastic out of the case I've bought (a DJI case copy) but I don't think that would be too hard.

Unless you are going to fly off and onto rough ground - they are not needed.

Like many things they have a specific use ... but generally - not needed.

I fly from ground that can 'touch' the camera when it hangs downward pointing before powering up ... but even so I don't bother.

There are also times you want camera to point straight down for photo / video ... mmmmmm

Nigel

Reactions: Proud_Hufflepuff
There are also times you want camera to point straight down for photo / video ... mmmmmm

Nigel

Yeah this is something I was wondering as "top down" photos are one of the things I'm most excited about using the drone for.

I doubt I'll be taking off or landing anywhere rough either, at least not for a while!

If you get the right type it won't interfere with the camera at all!
I've got one similar to this Camera Lens Gimbal Guard Landing Protector Safety Plate For DJI Phantom 3 Black and it doesn't obscure the camera in the downward position at all. It came with 4 cable ties for fitting but I just used a few narrow winds of colour-coordinated duct tape in 4 places to fit it.

I have a DJI hardshell backpack and you need only remove a very small section of the packing foam with a craft knife to be able to put your Phantom in the backpack with the gimbal guard still attached.

I'd recommend manual take-off where possible and hand-catching for landing on all flights anyway. The latter isn't hard to learn.

Reactions: Vit64
My P3S arrives tomorrow (woohoo) and in searching out accessories etc I've seen various gimbal proctors that fit in the bottom of the landing gear.

Are they useful? I've tried searching but nothing specific came up.

Only thing is I would need to cut some of the plastic out of the case I've bought (a DJI case copy) but I don't think that would be too hard.
Glad I bought one. Hard landing on a large rock would surely have damaged the camera.
It also adds strength to the landing gear. One I have does NOT interfere with camera tilt at all.

I've got one similar to this Camera Lens Gimbal Guard Landing Protector Safety Plate For DJI Phantom 3 Black and it doesn't obscure the camera in the downward position at all. It came with 4 cable ties for fitting but I just used a few narrow winds of colour-coordinated duct tape in 4 places to fit it.

I have a DJI hardshell backpack and you need only remove a very small section of the packing foam with a craft knife to be able to put your Phantom in the backpack with the gimbal guard still attached.

I'd recommend manual take-off where possible and hand-catching for landing on all flights anyway. The latter isn't hard to learn.
^ this

Here we go ... and I was just chastised for saying hand catching is not always necessary !!

" hand-catching for landing on all flights anyway." ..... Why ? If ground is rough etc. - then OK ... but if not why ?

Nigel

I wasn't planning to open the door to (yet) another debate about what is best. The suggestion is based on my personal preference and given that I am always coiled like a spring ready to 'duck and cover' should anything untoward happen, I consider hand-catching every time to be far less hazardous.

Some people here believe that hand-catching is 1) difficult to master and 2) dangerous. Providing you're reasonably competent in flying and maintaining your AC, and sensible, hand-catching should be neither.

By hand-catching for all landings you exclude the possibility of several potential mishaps - the beginner's possible faux-pas of using CSC to stop the motors, thus flipping the AC over and jamming and possibly burning out a motor or 4. An unexpected gust of wind just at the wrong moment which does the same - or failing to spot something unspecified at the landing point which may cause something unexpected (also unspecified ;)) and dire to happen. All of these possible catastrophes are avoided by hand-catching every time and I also get a nice picture/video of me leering upwards in pleasant anticipation, for later analysis of my technique :).

As I said, if anyone wants a debate about it, then please do a search and read back over all the old ones... We don't really need another one rolling on here.... :)

Reactions: Vit64
That what makes life wonderful. The diversity of doing things. We then are the ones that decide what is best for our own personal tastes and abilities. As the situation calls for I will catch and never thought there was anything hard about it. I feel gimbal guards are a worthwhile investment and never interferes with the camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj