Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Carbon Fiber vs Stock Props?

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Help' started by mikespe, May 12, 2015.

1. mikespe

What do you guys prefer? I will be using my P1 with a GoPro and and Gimbal. I hear the carbon fiber help a bit with battery life as give slightly more boost. However I also read the carbon fiber can break easier than the stock.

On a side note...I also read that using 9 inch props (I believe P2 props) will also help with boost...is this true and do any of you use them?

I am looking at getting these pros to try out before I invest in more expensive props

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251481829026?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. N017RW

Use the mfg's. recommended props.

3. mikespe

Uh could you elaborate because the manufacturer's props are MUCH more expensive. Plus I ALWAYS find 3rd party gear & accessories for a lot of things that are just as good or better than factory...

4. Marlin009

The consensus seems to be that in the case of Phantom props, the knock offs are not as good as OEM.

5. mikespe

Ah...well that is good to know before wasting money. Thanks

6. N017RW

People don't understand the proper matching of motors, props, batteries, and all-up weight.

If cost is your primary metric than... you get what you pay for.

7. IflyinWY

So far sounds like great information. You got the smart ones helping you, until now.

Carbon fiber props cut flesh better than a steak knife.

9443 and 9450 props work better for me. I fly from 5,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level most of the time.

8. BruinGuy

The DJI props are pre-balanced. With cheaper props you'll likely have to balance them yourself or you might find a lot of jello in your videos.

9. cheebs

Hi, first-time posting here, been lurking for a while. In my experience, only the (much) more expensive carbon props (graupner, t-motor) are worth it. All of the others I have bought, including some carbon 9443s from Acesdeals, are terrible...forget about the ebay stuff! You need to spend quite a bit of time carefully balancing them, and if you don't polish down with finer grades of sandpaper, and then finally give em a coat of wax, you'll have black fingers any time you touch them. Plus, as has been said before, they are dangerously sharp.
    For me, the best results by far have come from the factory 9450s. I have a set of carbon 9450s on the way, will post impressions once I've flown them for a bit.
    I'm also at ~5,000 ft msl, and my 1.1.1 is equipped with gopro4 Silver, gimbal, fpv transmitter, tall landing gear and anti-tip skids from Acesdeals. Getting ~9 minutes of flight time with stock battery until first warning.

#9 cheebs, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. mikespe

I decided to stay with the stock props...they work fine and I'm not hat **** about one extra minute of battery...thanks for the help everyone!