Carbon Fiber Reinforced Props

That was an interesting video. Seems like the C/F reinforced ones are more consistent weight wise than the stock blades. Thanks for taking the time to weigh them and make the video. I look forward to your impressions about the flight characteristics.

I caved in and ordered a set for two quads from a dealer on eBay. Excited to check them out!

Just finished 4 batteries worth of flights with these.
Initial impressions:

They feel lighter, so I don't doubt the results from the guy that weighed them in that video. At 2gms less per blade, that's about 8gms saved over all. So don't buy them just to save weight unless you're being really extreme with your weight reduction.

They SEEM to be quieter.
I don't have the gear to test that with, but very definitely seemed to me to be quieter, both up close and further away. At idle they're very quiet.
Where I can generally still hear the bird at up to 200+m, with these it was much less noticeable to the extent that I had to really listen for her beyond about 100m.
That could just have been the wind conditions, but it was a very still day, over a mirror smooth lake that I've flown many many times, and always been able to hear her from quite significant distances.

Responsiveness was hard to judge as I don't really throw the bird around much, everything is normally done slow and smooth, and that hasn't changed much with these props, they're fine for slow smooth movements, and the high speed passes and direction changes and hard banked corners I tried as a test were all handled with ease. So I doubt there's any issues there.

Speedwise I Clocked up 16mps in atti mode, and I'm pretty sure that's probably about normal, but to be honest, I've never actually tested for speed before, so that could be different. I'll only know when I test the old props for speed. It seemed pretty quick to me, but I'll have to redo the test with the old props on in the same wind conditions to be sure, which may not happen for a while, (if ever under exactly the same conditions).

Flight times were definitely not reduced. If anything they might be slightly longer. Most flights seemed to be around 15-17 minutes (I mostly fly Limefuel 6000mAh batteries) and that's a pretty standard flight time for me. My gut instinct was it was longer at times, but I can't get accurate figures as Premiere Pro died when I put on Windows 10, so I can't prune down the video to just the time from spool up to spool down to know for sure. I normally trim the video down first to just spool up to engine off, and use the length of video as my guide to 'flight time'
But once I do that, even those figures will be a bit different this time, as I normally land at 25% but brought two flights down at between 30% and 33% this time due to wanting to talk to bystanders. I'm keen to see actually how long it was.

Other than the colour, they don't seem a lot different. They don't have that "carbon fibre" pattern to them; they're just black, but so are most of my props as I dye them black, so it will be the tips etc that will identify these (and the different hubs)
These blades 'clink' if knocked against each other, which makes them sound like they're quite a lot more rigid, and they do have a rigid feel to them, but I've not tried bending them in any way to test that.

Later today I'll pull out the prop-balancer and see how they fare on that. My guess is from how quiet they are, that they're probably not going to be too bad.

Anyway. I'll keep using them. I wish I'd seen the colour options before buying these, as I got white tips, and I'd probably have liked yellow if I'd known there was an option.

My set up... CF painting on the body, but the props are full CF... Definitely lighter

P3_Setup.jpg

They're not unbreakable, but they are tough. I told my spotter to watch the bird closely and warn me if I was going to hit, as I had to film a panning shot with a tree right behind me, and would need to be focussing on the view from the camera. Moments later there's that blood-chilling sound of props eating foliage, only to have the spotter say, "Oh s____ I didn't see THAT branch, sorry"
Snapped the tip off one side of one blade, and impressively diced up a dry old finger thick branch of a gum tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

After a month of waiting, I finally received my carbon fiber reinforced props from the DJI store. These things are badass looking, if nothing else.
Take a look at my first impression video, which included these things in action in slow motion (240 frames per second).

Here is a followup video discussing the weight a little further.

Hey guys,

After a month of waiting, I finally received my carbon fiber reinforced props from the DJI store. These things are badass looking, if nothing else.
Take a look at my first impression video, which included these things in action in slow motion (240 frames per second).

Here is a followup video discussing the weight a little further.

Does the stiffer carbon fiber prop result in less prop showing up in the video especially when flying into the wind ???

Sir, I've read up on these extensively. The props I've read about are overlaid. NOT fully carbon fiber. This could mean a LOT of different things. At worst, it means they took an original prop and then, sanded it down so they could overlay CF and build it back up. At best, they took a regular prop, sanded down a very minute amount and then, overlaid it with CF and then balanced the prop.

Should a purely carbon fiber prop be produced, I'll be interested. As they stand right now, I'm not interested as they will have little benefit over the stock props. I do have some experience in full sized helicopter rotor blade construction and this isn't, as of this point, impressing me very much.

Sir, as I requested, simply weigh your original props and then, see what your CF overlaid props weigh. If the company you've ordered from is giving a true product, then it will, at a minimum, weigh the same as your originals. If you've actually managed to find a company making fully carbon fiber props, then that weight loss will be evident and I would highly interested in knowing the source.

Good luck to you sir.
Nobody addresses the question , Does the carbon reinforced prop help keep the prop from showing up in the video especially when flying into the wind because it is stiffer ?

I have a set of these dji reinforced props. I bought them primarily from an aesthetic point of view. I wasnt aware that CF could be applied as a coating over plastic .... a coating application in my mind is spayed or dipped. Carbon fibre can't be sprayed on nor dipped into ..... the clue is in its name. It's a fiber. These props are no doubt a polymer which is reinforced with carbon fibre. Making them a carbon fiber reinforced polymer! They will not be a regular prop sprayed or coated in carbon fiber.

Nobody addresses the question , Does the carbon reinforced prop help keep the prop from showing up in the video especially when flying into the wind because it is stiffer ?
I still see my props if it's banking into the wind

Speed is a function of tilt angle.

Tilt angle determines prop visibility.

Unlike the plastic props, they break like glass. The breakage surface is entirely black no evidence of "overlaying" or "coating".

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ordered a few sets of these about a month ago and installed them on one of the P3A I was using for on a couple of jobs. I feel it was quieter and liked the look of them. Feel and control was what I expected and I would say the same as the OEM 9450's I have been using until now.

Attachments

• carbonprops.jpg
    carbonprops.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 281

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4