Carbon fiber props - yes or no?

To save you doing your own research, which you should do to answer your own qustion, the general opinion for most flying styles is that DJI standard plastic props are the best. Even better when the new E300 9450's hit the shelves.

Please please, mods do a faq on this extremely asked question...I am weary :(

dirkclod said:
Please add prop guards to that list too ! And +1 on what you said there Irish ;)
The mini campaign I suggested in another thread is to use the Report feature and change the default text from 'spam' to FAQ PLEASE! or the likes. Im using TapaTalk so I'm not sure what the default text is from site itself. I feel we need to constantly get these often asked topics in front of the mods. We risk annoying them but thats not the purpose more momentum to get a plan going is what im after.

grumpy cat will tell you if you need Carbon Fiber props
grumpy-cat-no-just-no-meme-gein18pr.png

IrishSights said:
The mini campaign I suggested in another thread is to use the Report feature and change the default text from 'spam' to FAQ PLEASE! or the likes. Im using TapaTalk so I'm not sure what the default text is from site itself. I feel we need to constantly get these often asked topics in front of the mods. We risk annoying them but thats not the purpose more momentum to get a plan going is what im after.

OI told me that anybody is welcome to submit a post for sticky, I'm trying to find the time to make some basic ones like prop guards y/n, Vision vs non-Vision, goggles vs screen and some other FPV ones.

Like mentioned above, you may suggest stickies by PM'ing one of the mods listed under the heading you want it in. I generally make it a sticky but leave a shadow topic where it was so it is easily found. The report system is for reporting problems. Stickies are typically topics that generate a lot of activity and have useful info. Feel free to suggest any you feel are pertinent.

PS - not sure at only 8 post with limited info and most of them discussing the report feature if this topic is 'sticky' worthy.

This is a COMMUNITY, guys. As a community, we should TALK to each other. I have no problem answering the same question over and over for folks. When I was new to Phantoms, I asked a lot of questions and got answers. If you truly grow "weary", Irish, why do you continue to read posts... especially posts lile this that are very clear about their subject/question in their subject line? Just ignore them. Someone else who's NOT so weary will happily answer the question, and you don't have to be bothered.

Even if there was a clearly titled FAQ, you'd STILL get posts asking questions that were answered therein... so you won't really save the number of posts that would show up on your feed. So you'd be forced to sound like an *** and respond with "read the FAQ" or "use the board search"*... when, really, it's just as easy to answer the questions politely and BUILD THE COMMUNITY... instead of building the clique of elite pilots who act like they are better than anyone else.

(* and "use the board search" isn't even a valid response, here... nearly every search I've ever performed here has resulted in "sorry, your search terms are too general" and return off-target results)

How bout just HELPING people.

I know, I know... "teach a man to fish"... etc etc. But this isn't fish.

Sorry Prof, I disagree with just about everything you say. I'm not talking of reducing the number of postings just the length and number of keystrokes. If you think this has anything to do with perpetuating the myth of elitism then you are maybe getting that from within yourself and you have a very shallow understanding of what I am trying to say. There is no elitism to be had. 'Experise' is only relevant to what someone else doesn't know. Humbling, I know.

Look at it this way in this particular question from the OP. Only he can answer this question fully, but if it was me asking the question in my earlier days and someone nice and politely said...thank you for your question, your answer can be found at this link, I would be very happy. The 'community would then have responded politely and efficently as long as its not in a condescending way. If there was any further questions arising not covered in the FAQ on the subject then you are right this where community kicks in. You seem to have the time to write a lot, many of us do not have that luxury.

Encouaging others to do research is a good thing! However this can be done gently yet firmly. I remember one member who wanted a shopping list complete with links to shopping carts for a full system. If you have time to do this then be my guest but you are doing the poster no favours in the long run.

This is about 10 times longer than my usual posts so I gotta go...work to do.

Can you not do the same thing, now, by simply pointing to threads that are appropriate?

The problem with an FAQ is it collects anything and everything... diluting it's purpose. You "politely and efficiently" respond with "your answer can be found in the FAQ"... but, really, that's only efficient for you because the user still has to dig through however many topics in the FAQ to find the one that you think actually answers their question (when, in fact, it might not... but that's a whole 'nother discussion). If the user was keen on searching through minutia to find their answers, they would've already looked all the way through all twenty-thousand-and-some-odd-topics-and-nearly-two-hundred-thousand-posts of the forums before posting.

And you're very wrong about the elitism. I'm not saying that's the goal, but I'm saying it's the result... in the perception of anyone asking a question. You are, in fact, saying "I really don't have time to talk to you about your piddly little topic... and since my time is the only time that counts, I'm going to post a one line answer, here, so that I still seem important and still act like I'm helping the community".

That is essentially what you just told me above, as well.

Like I said... if you really don't have time to respond to posts, just ignore them. Someone else will likely, happily, answer it. Think about that. I've just "reduced the length and number of keystrokes" for you to... well... zero. How efficient! But the fact is that, in order to still remain relevant to the community and prove that you're "in the know" and experienced (not sure what "Experise" is... experience, or expertise, but either way...), you feel like you need to respond with something. So, yes, that comes off as elitism.

I've been around long enough and been on enough forums to know that even when one poster responds with "search the boards" or "look in the FAQs"... someone else typically follows up with a full, complete answer anyway. And I've seen really excellent, and really helpful online communities get destroyed from within as they became overrun by users who no longer wanted to take the time to help people, but rather wanted to make things "efficient"... perpetuating the air of elitism (intentional or otherwise). Not only does that not have the intended results, but it begins to erode the community.

Now that you have both made your points lets move on and get this back on topic. ;)

I personally have not found a reason to abandoned the stock P2 DJI props. They work very well for me.

LuvMyTJ said:
PS - not sure at only 8 post with limited info and most of them discussing the report feature if this topic is 'sticky' worthy.

my bad, I sort of threadjacked it changing the topic from props to sticky posts.

If Carbon Fibre blades can do the damage shown in that video I shall certainly be sticking with the stock DJI ones, and they seem to work well anyway. The stock ones gave me a nasty cut on one finger through my own stupid fault too, when I tried to catch the quad when it fell off a box, and it wasn't even flying so motors were spinning slowly.

As for ProffesorStein, you said everything I was thinking and more too. Nice post sir. I appreciate any help given by anyone in these forums, and it's not laziness on my part when I ask questions, it's trawling through so much stuff gives me a headache, I find at my age my attention span is much shorter. ;)

IrishSights said:
To save you doing your own research, which you should do to answer your own qustion

I *am* doing my own research and this is part of it.

IrishSights said:
the general opinion for most flying styles is that DJI standard plastic props are the best. Even better when the new E300 9450's hit the shelves.

Thank you. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

IrishSights said:
Please please, mods do a faq on this extremely asked question...I am weary :(

Nobody is forcing you to respond to this post and frankly, you come across as somewhat of a pompous arse but I won't hold that against you.

My apologies, that was not my intention. I was a bit rude.

Part of the problem here is the builtin search in the board software rarely returns relative results. Not sure if you know but there is a not that easily accessed feature of Google Search has has the ability to search within a site. It provides mega more relevant results than the built-in search. I have this on my browser bookmarks and find it very useful. There is a Sticky on it in the General Forum. Here it is if you are interested to add it to your research arsenal :
PhantomPilots.com Custom Google Search

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Part of the problem here is the builtin search in the board software rarely returns relative results. Not sure if you know but there is a not that easily accessed feature of Google Search has has the ability to search within a site. It provides mega more relevant results than the built-in search. I have this on my browser bookmarks and find it very useful. There is a Sticky on it in the General Forum. Here it is if you are interested to add it to your research arsenal :
PhantomPilots.com Custom Google Search

Now that is extreeeeeeeeeeemly helpful!
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20