Carbon Fiber Props for VISION 2?

Reaction score
So I ordered Carbon Fiber Props for my Vision 2. Still waiting for them to arrive. Since they are not self tightening like the ones that were shipped with the VISION 2, I also had to order prop nuts. I got those today. However...they do not fit on my VISION 2. They are too small. CW or CCW do not work. ARGGGG! Granted, they were advertised as Phantom Prop Nuts but I was hoping they would fit but as mentioned, they do not.

Now that I have researched more I have found that the T-Motor Props are really nice. I ordered a different brand from Hoopchina.com for around $30. I had found threads with positive comments on those. Plus, they weren't as pricey as the T-Motor Props ($95) for a set of 4. I'm not opposed to purchasing them if they are as nice as they are advertised to be but I thought I would give the others a go first. I have noticed the $95 T-Motor props ship with a SPACER. SPACER? The props I ordered don't come with a spacer. Hmmmm. AND STILL....WHAT ABOUT PROP NUTS FOR THE VISION 2?

Any suggestions? Maybe a link to other options?

Oh...also....I have ordered prop guards which fit on the VISION 2 but of course are too small for the props. The props actually extend out 1/4" past the gaurd. Hmfffff! Good grief.

I suppose I could end on a positive note. I noticed today replacement batteries are now on pre-order on dronefly.com ONLY $150!

I love this thing. As a newbie to this hobby I feel the VISION 2 is great. But I can see myself out growing it probably within a year or two. At that time I plan to give it to my son, now 13.

I'll be following ya to see how this works out. I was thinking of getting some 9" CF props in the future too. 1. To see if it reduces jello more effectively (not that its too bad) and for lift 2. For replacements since the OEM ones are not available yet that I can see. (they also look cool) I also just bought the prop guards and as you stated they fit but are a bit short. I am in the process of making an adapter for them. I'll let you know how they turn out in a few days. Good luck and thanks for spearheading this.. I haven't seen anyone else attempt it yet.

James

I am not an expert, but someone that is said that CF props are NOT a good choice for Aerial Photography. They ARE a good choice for Sport Flying.

Why? Because they are stiff. They give faster/twitchier performance than plastic props which is why they are good for Sport flying. Plastic props flex and actually soften the movements of the quad, which is exactly what you want for AP.

Hope this helps guys.

Hmm thanks. I feel like I can see your point..sort of. I see that it could make it more responsive maybe twitchy but I have read that the wood and CF props help w jello effect too. Not sure which way to go. I would love to hear form someone who's tried em. I research. Thanks for input.

James

Dave Pitman said:
I am not an expert, but someone that is said that CF props are NOT a good choice for Aerial Photography. They ARE a good choice for Sport Flying.

Why? Because they are stiff. They give faster/twitchier performance than plastic props which is why they are good for Sport flying. Plastic props flex and actually soften the movements of the quad, which is exactly what you want for AP.

Hope this helps guys.

Really? Makes Sense. Thanks, Dave. I think perhaps I'll just sell the CF props to my buddies with the phantom. As for the Prop Guards...I'll keep them on for now. A little protection is better than none. Maybe (For us newbies) we will see better / bigger prop guards in the near future.

Thanks again Dave!

JustJames said:
I'll be following ya to see how this works out. I was thinking of getting some 9" CF props in the future too. 1. To see if it reduces jello more effectively (not that its too bad) and for lift 2. For replacements since the OEM ones are not available yet that I can see. (they also look cool) I also just bought the prop guards and as you stated they fit but are a bit short. I am in the process of making an adapter for them. I'll let you know how they turn out in a few days. Good luck and thanks for spearheading this.. I haven't seen anyone else attempt it yet.

James

Yes...please do. I'd love to hear what you came up with regarding a fix for the prop guards.

In the early days of Phantom flying, people went with CF props to reduce jello.
But they're really not necessary anymore now that most are using vibration isolation mounts and improved plastic props.

I say just fly with the DJI props and see what results you get before jumping on the CF prop bandwagon. (same applies to the tri-blades)

The other issue is how do you balance these? since it has a nut attached the normal balancing rig won't work. I like that they self tighten but I still think I will get something aftermarket in the future. I wanna know. I might miss out on something that I might like. If I don't then I will have the knowledge to say nope that doesn't work because XXXX. That said I'm not gonna drop 100 bucks on super fancy CF props. I'll go for something more reasonable case it doesn't work out.

James

I went over to Aerialmediapros and picked up the 8" self tightening props and put them and the prop guards on. It still flew great. I should have timed it but with the additional weight and smaller props I'm guessing I still flew 15min+ maybe 20 but I can't say with certainty. So I'm very happy about having the yards on and being able to get props readily. That said they did say that they were going to have some (the 9.5") in store in the next week...alot. So thats cool too. I also asked there guru flyers about the CF props etc. They said that the stock ones are the way to go. That's the sum of it but they said that the new ones are very good and there is nothing to gain by going to CF props. In some cases can make it worse. Interesting. These guys do this for a living so I figured I'd take that advice. Now ya know.

James

JustJames said:
I went over to Aerialmediapros and picked up the 8" self tightening props and put them and the prop guards on. It still flew great.

James

Hey James, So you are confirming that the 8" Phantom props fit on the Vision motors no problemo?

Yes definitely. They worked much better than I thought. Maybe a touch slower but not as noticeable as I thought. I'll fly again today and try to pay attention to time. Ooh time change...maybe tomorrow. But it does work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 2.54.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 2.54.52 PM.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 1,392
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 2.54.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 2.54.46 PM.png
    362 KB · Views: 1,398
Ok so today I was in my old stomping grounds and had the intentions of taking video and shooting a couple pics about Laguna Canyon near Laguna beach. Beautiful day, perfect weather no clouds awesome! But... I forgot to put in a dang SD card. Grr.

However I did pay attention to time. I flew at 100 to 150 most of the time at moderate speeds to slow. I got 18 minutes before my 30% warning. It is slower. I can tell more today. But only noticeable at full tilt. It doesn't gain altitude as fast etc as it would with the 9.5" props. But for slow steady stuff it's fine. I like having the prop guards on. I was at the base of a park that butts up agains the canyons. There were a lot of kids and it was a nice peace of mind. Granted I was no where near them.

I'm taking my PV in Monday to AMP to have them try to see what I can do about video shake that I now have. Looks like the motors are available now do if I screwed on up I can replace it. That's the only thing I ( in my simple minded way) can think of. We shall see.

James.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan