Carbon fiber props for P4???

To be honest and in my opinion you are better using the props supplied by dji.
They make the aircraft, all tested by professionals prior to manufacture.
Why modify and try and improve ?
Lots of pilots have tried various props over the years and how many have modified their drone and seriously crashed! Quite a lot of them.
Stick with DJI original parts , it makes sense especially if your drone is under warranty .
B

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

While there are some accessories and 3rd party stuff available there's little to no 'upgrading' of the Phantoms.
They are a closed eco-system and DJI has specifically tuned the propulsion system (ESC f/w, motors, props) for maximum performance.

Some will say there are improvements by swapping props but it's all anecdotal such as: 'seems' and feels' more this or that is found used in the reports. Most report poor results let alone improvements.

I thought carbon props are pretty much standard for custom-build quadcopters.
Its quite simple
1. more stiffness = less vibration = less jello
2. less weight = less inertia = more responsive to motor speed changes

I suspect one reasone for DJI to provide plastic props is to make them deliberatly fragile so they won't have to replace motors or the frame under warranty (which might break easier with carbon props)

CF props are notoriously dangerous and fragile upon impact.

Can you link to the source of the 'simple' reasons you mentioned?

I'm really curious about the DJI accusation too.

Question: I just got CF props. They are self tightening. I know centrifugal force should keep them tight..but one has flown off during testing already. That leaves me a little leery to say the least. Any advice on this? Besides going back to the standard props LOL

I do not mind the price even if I was 100% sure that I would see a dramatic difference. My other concern is that if CF props were that much better, why isn't DJI making them for the P4? Maybe they will in the future, but for right now this is a bit confusing.

Question: I just got CF props. They are self tightening. I know centrifugal force should keep them tight..but one has flown off during testing already. That leaves me a little leery to say the least. Any advice on this? Besides going back to the standard props LOL

Did you respect the CW & CCW rotation of the brackets?

I have tested CF props and they are not as good as OEM.
Stick with the ore ones and if you really want the CF look get them hydro dipped for a few $

And as I'm sure you can tell by my profile I'm new to the World of drones so I'm still learning and figuring things out myself and doing research

EDIT: after my flight today, I noticed that one of my screws are missing for the motor mounts for the self tightening props. Word of advice, stick with stock because assessing the potential damage I could have caused today... it's not worth it.

I changed out the stock for CF props and my top speed is now 74 mph but I hit a headwind. I don't notice any difference in flight speed during normal conditions, I do notice that it sounds different. Not louder, not quiter, but more crisp lol. The vertical speed is usually 12 mph which is faster to me. It seems to last maybe 2-3 minutes longer flight time. The overall flight seems more stable and smoother transitions. During sports mode acceleration is intense, braking, and sharp turns are stronger. It flies more like a fpv race drone to me with them one lol.

Attachments

• 1472449404529-1128955413.jpg
    1472449404529-1128955413.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I used to have CF on my 2Vision +, to be honest they just 'looked' better, can't say they made any real difference. Got some CF shipped with my P4 but you have to take the 'quick release' off and this would surely invalidate the warranty? So will be selling on eBay shortly. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them until they produce some with quick-release catches.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Sky Architect
I used to have CF on my 2Vision +, to be honest they just 'looked' better, can't say they made any real difference. Got some CF shipped with my P4 but you have to take the 'quick release' off and this would surely invalidate the warranty? So will be selling on eBay shortly. Personally, I wouldn't recommend them until they produce some with quick-release catches.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I agree, the ones I used came with shitty screws and they started to strip upon tightening and the red ones came lose as seen above. The DJI screws don't strip and definitely never come loose as far as I have seen.

I agree, the ones I used came with shitty screws and they started to strip upon tightening and the red ones came lose as seen above. The DJI screws don't strip and definitely never come loose as far as I have seen.

The stock mounting screws has blue lock tite on them. These brackets should of had them too

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

To me anything bolt or nut that will be used on something that is going to be used for flying or racing, locktite is a must. It's cheap insurance.

Just my .02 though

Be sure to pre-apply the LocTite and let cure before using around plastic or be sure to by the type safe for use near plastics.
The fumes/out-gas will cause the plastic to become brittle and then your shell will be severely damaged.

They are supposed to have Loctite as standard, if not missed by DJI factory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20