Carbon fiber propellers

Reaction score
Why should I upgrade to carbon fiber propellers? What does it do for me and my bird? Better flights? Are they quieter? Besides looking different in color are there any benefits ?

TIA

I have both. original and carbon fiber. Cannot tell any performance difference but they look cool. Fly Well My Friends.

You have CF reinforced propellers (DJI original) and 100% carbon-fiber propellers from various sources, like those commonly used in other flying models such as helis, airplanes, racing quads, the like.

I've used CF props a lot in my other model ACs, but my P3s only get DJI props. I use the nylon ones that come with the P3, but I fancy the CF-reinforced props for windy conditions and sports filming. I find them slightly more responsive and also a bit quieter, which could hold true since they're stiffer - but absolutely no diference in speed or flight duration, which are usually harder to measure anyway due to so many variables.

But I admit it's purely anecdotal, I have no rigorous or scientific analysis nor have found anything to support this, only casual observation really.

The CF props are still loud, I can't tell the difference but I must say that of all of the different sets of DJI props that I have bought, the carbon fiber set was the worst by far as far as not being balanced straight out of the box. The "out of balance" was severe but workable. They balanced easy enough as they all do and I've been using them ever since. Personally, I think that dying a regular set of standard 9450's to whatever color you want would look better. The CF props to me are gimmick to lure people into buying something that they really don't need. As far as performance, they are crisper when flying but for filming, the smoother the better. Stick with the standard and dye them to your color of choice.

I have no scientific study to prove this, however, I strongly suspect that carbon fiber props will promote stress cracks on the bottom shell of the body. As seen here.
Because the CF props are less flexible something has to give and that pressure is transmitted to the motor mounting holes. As the factory props are more flexible they take the brunt of the force.
I would stick with the factory props.

Last edited:
I have no scientific study to prove this, however, I strongly suspect that carbon fiber props will promote stress cracks on the bottom shell of the body. As seen here.
Because the CF props are less flexible something has to give and that pressure is transmitted to the motor mounting holes. As the factory props are more flexible they take the brunt of the force.
I would stick with the factory props.
Cracking of the shell was due to a bad batch of plastic and/or moulding technique.
Most Phantoms never develop any cracks regardless of the props that are fitted.
Phantoms with a crack-prone shell will develop cracking regardless of the prop type.

Cracking of the shell was due to a bad batch of plastic and/or moulding technique.
Most Phantoms never develop any cracks regardless of the props that are fitted.
Phantoms with a crack-prone shell will develop cracking regardless of the prop type.

I share exactly the same opinion.

I have been using DJI carbon fiber reinforced props and had no problem what so ever. I'm happy with them. I have white props too but I dyed them orange for better visibility during flights.

Dye them with RIT dye, plenty of threads on here about the process.. Do a search

What is the best way to dye them? Would a Sharpie (of whatever color) work?
Sharpie's work also. This is all done with Sharpies as well -
Reed's P3P.jpg

Reactions: MasterBlaster

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj