Carbon Fiber Prop Guards?

Reaction score
After about a dozen flights, I've already broken two prop guards, and don't see myself flying without them any time soon.

Has anyone had experience flying a Phantom 1 or 2 with carbon fiber prop guards? Aside from cost, are there any significant disadvantages?

The one time I flew without prop guards (I was awaiting replacements), I noticed a significant gain in flying time -- about 9 minutes to first low battery warning on the Phantom 1 without guards, versus roughly 7 min 30 secs with guards.

I have some CF guards on order from China (before discovering them cheaper and closer on eBay), and I'm hoping the difference in weight and wind drag will give me another minute of flying time.

Thanks!

I'll stay with the plastic white ones. Think of it as a fuse, if you hit something that hard and broke a guard, it did its job, and replace it with a new one. Carbon fiber ones will not break (in most cases) and I would hate to transfer that energy somewhere else, like a motor or body panel, something has to give sooner or later.

Good point. The plastic guards have done a fine job of protecting the motors and hull, although every broken guard has been accompanied by a gouged prop that also required replacement.

I bought the Phantom as a video platform, and it's working out extremely well. It's just that the footage is more interesting if the Phantom is threading its way between objects -- usually tree trunks. My depth perception (not to mention reflexes) isn't what it used to be.

Think I'll follow your advice and stick to plastic guards, at least as long as most of my flying is under branches and around street lamp posts.

Many thanks!

reALIGNed said:
I'll stay with the plastic white ones. Think of it as a fuse, if you hit something that hard and broke a guard, it did its job, and replace it with a new one. Carbon fiber ones will not break (in most cases) and I would hate to transfer that energy somewhere else, like a motor or body panel, something has to give sooner or later.

I guess if they don't brake either they bounce (elastic deformation) or they bend (plastic deformation) in any case in dont see a transfer of energy to the body that is not acceptable. Just my two cents...

Quadro said:
Good point. The plastic guards have done a fine job of protecting the motors and hull, although every broken guard has been accompanied by a gouged prop that also required replacement.

I bought the Phantom as a video platform, and it's working out extremely well. It's just that the footage is more interesting if the Phantom is threading its way between objects -- usually tree trunks. My depth perception (not to mention reflexes) isn't what it used to be.

Think I'll follow your advice and stick to plastic guards, at least as long as most of my flying is under branches and around street lamp posts.

Many thanks!

Do you run the string in between the guards? I do and it works wonders when I get into the bush, it prevents the object (branch) from hitting the back side of the prop. Also, I have a spare set of guards waiting just in case I damage one on the Phantom.

Yes, now I have a full set of plastic spares. I found them for $15.88 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=Prop+Guard).

You just convinced me to add the string before I go out today. From your description, it sounds as if it might also help prevent the Phantom from getting CAUGHT in branches, which is a big concern for me since where I live, I'm either flying between trees, over water, or both.

Same here, the string is a nice touch. You can also use clear fishing line, its almost invisible in flight. I found that if I attach the string from hole to hole, it seems more rigid as opposed to attaching from one hole and loop it through the other holes and reattach, I just use four separate pieces.

Yeah, you stumbled upon the main detriment to the guards. The 8" ones are over 80g installed. That's like carrying an extra gopro in flight. A 1.5 to 2 minute penalty is about right. Just something to keep in mind as you add components to your phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj