Carbon Fiber Interference?

Reaction score
Okay, I heard this on YouTube in one guy's "video tips" but I need confirmation. I bought one of those anti-vibration mounts for my GoPro, but I don't want it to actually cause interference problems.

So, does carbon fiber cause interference?
Is it something I have to worry about in this GoPro mount? (I'm not even sure if it's real carbon fiber? LOL)

The one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMP ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm trying to minimize the possibility of a fly-away... (aren't we all)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

BTW, I'm Amy... I'm new around here. Nice to meet you all. I'm being a cautious beginner and trying to follow all the rules and tips from the people who know more than me. Photography is my passion (and my hobby and my job). Aerial photography will be fun :D

If you notice many multirotor vendors use CF for many of their components.

The issues arise with receivers & antennas mounted within CF fuselages or other structures. This encapsulation can induce problems due to CF absorbtion and reflection of the control signals.

Carbon fibre is very good conductor to electricity ,you have to be careful with wiring and connections,but I don't thin it would cost interference

You won't have a problem with those types of mounts generally. Carbon fiber is fairly radio-opaque , but you'll need quite a bit of it covering the antennas for it to be an issue. On a Phantom, the antennas are hanging down on the legs below the anti-vibration plate (and on top directly under the top shell in the case of the GPS) so they won't be occluded by the CF plates.

So if I understand most of you correctly, the GoPro mount, if it's indeed really made of carbon fiber, shouldn't be an issue.
What I shouldn't do is cover my whole Phantom body and landing gear with carbon fiber. That would be bad.

Correct?

FlyingRabbit said:
What I shouldn't do is cover my whole Phantom body and landing gear with carbon fiber. That would be bad. Correct?

That would depend on where the CF was placed. ;-)

As a method of reducing RFI ingress I coat the interior of the shell with a conductive paint which turns the shell into sort of a Faraday Cage.

rfshell.jpg

Wayne

Good stuff.

I have experience with similar coatings in a non-r/c application.
IME it can be heavy and expen$ive.

Seems like a good idea on the surface (no pun intended) but...

Aren't you just 'trapping' the EMI inside?

Have you tied the top and bottom together electrically?
How about to DC return?

What is your in-flight experience since doing this, if any (yet)?

Curious here for sure ;) .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.