Car charger vs power inverter?

Reaction score
I've got an old power inverter (car DC adapter => AC adapter) and I was wondering if it would (safely) work with my DJI phantom 4 charger. It says:

100W Power Inverter
Input Voltage: 10.7 - 15VDC
Output Voltage: 110/120VAC

I suspect it should work just fine, and if that's the case...
- How come there does exist car power inverers that also essentially have large blocks for the inverter... more watts? For what exactly?
- Why would I choose a specific DJI car charger over this, when the car charger would be so... specific/restrictive?

100 watts would be quite on the edge for the inverter, you need atleast 150 watts as the p4 charger is 100watts.

Try the 100, if the inverter trips, then you need a 150 to be safe.

I find the car inverter to be flexible and i can use it for my other camera gear chargers too.

Larger ones are more wattage that can be used for camping, running an electric cooker, kettle.. et al..

I would gave to agree. 100w would be a struggle for it.
have a 300w(500w peak) dual outlet and it struggles to provide juice when charging two P4 batteries. Fan kicks on and is flat out. Running /charging my MacBook the fan is running at half the speed.
It will charge one no problem.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've got an old power inverter (car DC adapter => AC adapter) and I was wondering if it would (safely) work with my DJI phantom 4 charger. It says:

100W Power Inverter
Input Voltage: 10.7 - 15VDC
Output Voltage: 110/120VAC

I suspect it should work just fine, and if that's the case...
- How come there does exist car power inverers that also essentially have large blocks for the inverter... more watts? For what exactly?
- Why would I choose a specific DJI car charger over this, when the car charger would be so... specific/restrictive?

I can't say I really understand what you're asking but... there are modified sine wave inverters and pure sine wave inverters. The former have been known to damage some elecronic devices.

Like any other product, some car chargers are poorly deisgned and manufactured, others are better. Use one not supplied or recommended by the mfr. and there is a risk of damage and that warranty claims may be denied.

My 15 2500hd has a factory inverter rated at 150w. Should this charge a single battery?

DJI phantom 4 charger, 100w power inverter may can't be strong enough. You may need at least 150W power inverter. Besides, if you want to use other devices, it will be easy to cause overloading. Larger power inverters can allow you charge not only mobile devices but appliances like coffee maker, vacuum , etc.

Reactions: grandpap4p
I’ve charged several batteries, no problem.

If I could get this one in Canada I would, 300 watts is a bit over the max for your 12 volt cigar lighter (20 amp fuse in my truck max 240 watts)
A pure sin wave at this price is really good. Amazon.com: BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V Pure Sine Wave Inverter with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports Car Adapter: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The most important thing is that these inverters are pure sine. That bestek one on amazon is not pure sine. If you read the reviews, a few people put them on their oscilloscopes and said the power is very dirt. I for one would not risk my charger or anything as technologically advanced as drone hardware. This one looks much better: https://www.amazon.com/MicroSolar-3...00F4TBW6S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And yes, a modified sine inverter will make your electronics work...for a while. Over time chances are they will be damaged and stop working.

My 15 2500hd has a factory inverter rated at 150w. Should this charge a single battery?

I have not looked into what the vehicles come with but I would be surprised if that is a pure sine inverter. EDIT: Confirmed it is modified sine wave, use caution.

Reactions: rvrrat14

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20