Capturing firework display on video.

That was a good distance from the display. How far away were you? As far as iso, I find auto exposure camera settings works well with the phantom for fireworks. It will have a high iso to try and compensate for darkness but shutter is usually in the ballpark. You can always drop the ev if you want to. But even though that high iso isn't something I'd normally choose, in post edit you can drop brightness down and adjust it nicely. The phantom camera isn't really like a dslr camera. You actually want a brighter video from the phantom in the dark for fireworks. If it's too dark, things like cityscape lights detail in the background will be lost and won't be recoverable in post. You can't recover light in post edit with this, but you can adjust darkness to taste. Auto is the best setting for fireworks to bring back workable video in post edit to clean up.
This was my first time doing a night video let alone with fireworks. I was probably 600 to 800 feet away. I had shutter as low as it would go and locked white balance at 3000k. Trial and error. I used the Dji go app to make that video. I did adjust saturation contrast and brightness. I wanted the sky to be black. I guess I could transfer the raw 1080p 24fps version to my computer and try to dress it up better. I edited in dji go because some friends wanted to se it right away. Thanks for the info! Iam new at night shots.

Actually just using auto for camera settings is fine too. You can always drop the EV a few notches, but auto makes it easy and looks fine. This is one I did around Christmas time last year. At one point I got a little closer than I wanted to. But if you can't get the fireworks to mostly fill out the screen it turns out pretty disappointing. Again, depending on the size of the shells it's not going to look all that great if you're too far away. Good luck.

Great photography, reminds me of downtown Baghdad, January 1991.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl