Capturing firework display on video.

Reaction score
There is a nightly fireworks display about five miles from me. I am considering going to my back yard and flying up above the trees to get some video and some pictures. Any suggestions on settings for the video? Again,before I get the "you should not do that" lesson, I will be miles away from the show and people, so I won't be near people or the fireworks. I might fly a little closer to the fireworks, maybe a mile. But there is nothing but a mountain side and trees between me and the stadium.
Just an idea.

As far as settings I always adjust while it's in the air and I an framing the shot, generally takes some pics at different settings. I would be interested as well to see if anyone has any recommendations, and I would love to see how the video and pics turn out.

Sounds cool to me... I'm sure you contacted the FAA to ask for permission.
;)

With the 4th of July around the corner I'm also interested in what P3 OPs settings were last year? I didn't have mine yet for ID

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Five miles? You aren't gonna see much detail.
You would be surprised how close they seem. I guess because they are up so high. I am not looking for detail, just a different point of view. Something to do. No expectations.

As far as settings I always adjust while it's in the air and I an framing the shot, generally takes some pics at different settings. I would be interested as well to see if anyone has any recommendations, and I would love to see how the video and pics turn out.

Sounds cool to me... I'm sure you contacted the FAA to ask for permission.
;)
Why would I contact the FAA? It is LOS and below 400 feetish in a valley 15 miles or more from the airport.
Okay, I might go a mile out and 1000 feet up, but no more than two miles out and 1600 feet up.

Reactions: Droneted
Sorry I was teasing you about flying at night. Don't think it matters for hobby flying.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I think to be strictly within the guidelines night flying is verboten..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think you are correct, however it seems to be more of a recommendation for hobby flight but a strict regulation for 333 and/or part 107.

I havent shot fireworks with the P3 however f8 or f11 at ISO 200 has produced good results for me with a DSLR. Thats f5.6 to f8 at 100 ISO so your going to be 2+ stops overexposed with the fixed f2.8 aperture of the phantom and lowest (100 ISO) speed. You wont have the frame filled with the display from your distance out and if you shoot 2 to 3 second exposures you may well get some nicely exposed lights from surrounding structures and reflected from the clouds and spoke ordinarily pr3sent from these displays.

With such a wide angle FoV, I would agree with "With The Birds". 1/4 mile and you will have something. 5 miles away and I don't think you will have much...though you can try recording in 4K, then cropping down to 1080P.

I think the OP was asking for optimal video settings.... and assuming you would be much much closer to the fireworks show would settings be about the same as what with the birds described?

... I might fly a little closer to the fireworks, maybe a mile. But there is nothing but a mountain side and trees between me and the stadium.
Just an idea.

A mountain side and trees between .... hmmmm ... it's a night flight so you should be alright I guess! (I'm being very facetious). pffffft ....

Forum, should he turn Smart RTH off or leave it on?

... and just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me!

Best wishes in any event ... :)

I havent shot fireworks with the P3 however f8 or f11 at ISO 200 has produced good results for me with a DSLR. Thats f5.6 to f8 at 100 ISO so your going to be 2+ stops overexposed with the fixed f2.8 aperture of the phantom and lowest (100 ISO) speed. You wont have the frame filled with the display from your distance out and if you shoot 2 to 3 second exposures you may well get some nicely exposed lights from surrounding structures and reflected from the clouds and spoke ordinarily pr3sent from these displays.
Thank you

Okay, they may be closer. I can see them pretty clear off in the distance. I just thought it would be fun to see them from the sky. My work is only a half mile from there. Maybe I will try from there.
With such a wide angle FoV, I would agree with "With The Birds". 1/4 mile and you will have something. 5 miles away and I don't think you will have much...though you can try recording in 4K, then cropping down to 1080P.

A mountain side and trees between .... hmmmm ... it's a night flight so you should be alright I guess! (I'm being very facetious). pffffft ....

Forum, should he turn Smart RTH off or leave it on?

... and just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me!

Best wishes in any event ... :)
I would be way above the trees and mountain, it is more of a really tall hill covered in trees. I have flown over it several times. Over it and about a mile past it. Almost two miles total. But you are right, not at night. There are no lights or houses in those mountains. But I usually use my map when I fly at night. I just make sure I have enough altitude.

Lower FPS (24FPS) is better at night for video. Lower FPS = slower shutter speeds = more light entering the lens.
Set to cloudy. Metering average. ISO 200-400 (lower ISO will mean more artefacts).
If you have 4K, try converting to 1080p. Scaling down will keep artefacts to a minimal.

You should do some testing at night and find out the limitations and see how far 5miles is from the Phantom POV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.