Can't unscrew = screwed?

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I got a cheap 2-axis gimbal for my Phantom, and built it yesterday... Went to install it, but while taking the shell off the Phantom, the last screw (always the last one!) wouldn't unlock.

Unfortunately it's one of the deep sunken ones mid-way down the leg, so I have to use the long side of the allen key but it keeps slipping.

I really don't want to fork out £35 for a new shell when technically this one isn't even broken, but I can't seem to move forward here... I tried sticking a dab of superglue (Loctite) to the allen key and letting it set in the screw-head but that didn't work as there isn't enough surface area to hold purchase, and I don't want to smother it in superglue since it will corrode the plastic.

Any suggestions? :(

DomKane said:
Hey guys.

So I got a cheap 2-axis gimbal for my Phantom, and built it yesterday... Went to install it, but while taking the shell off the Phantom, the last screw (always the last one!) wouldn't unlock.

Unfortunately it's one of the deep sunken ones mid-way down the leg, so I have to use the long side of the allen key but it keeps slipping.

I really don't want to fork out £35 for a new shell when technically this one isn't even broken, but I can't seem to move forward here... I tried sticking a dab of superglue (Loctite) to the allen key and letting it set in the screw-head but that didn't work as there isn't enough surface area to hold purchase, and I don't want to smother it in superglue since it will corrode the plastic.

I would recommend but you need to be very careful, use a soldering iron that has a very fine tip and apply some heat to the head of the screw. Try that off and on and it should break free the screw. That's what we use in on-road/off-road RC when Loctite doesn't want to play nice. Just be very careful that you don't leave it on too long and the plastic around it starts melting. Good Luck!

Good thinking, yeah I'll try that... Got a kick-*** soldering iron, my only concern is getting the tip down a hole that small... It's almost an inch deep.

To get stripped out hex screws on firearms I used to find a torx bit just slightly larger than the stripped out hex hole and tap it into the hole. With its six points it gives it some grip. When I tapped it in it would loosen the threads up a bit. Be very gentle with the tapping on the bit. The torx bit I'm talking about has the hex shank to be inserted into a screw driver handle. If you can't find the torx bit you could also try tapping a straight blade jewelers screwdriver into the hole that slightly wider that the hole. Jeweler screw driver sets are dirt cheap.

Hope this helps

Pat

Yeah I tried a jewellers set and a torq set, and a flat-head, all tapped in, but wouldn't get enough purchase... It seems like each time I try a new tool, it's getting worse and rounding the head more. :(

solder the tip of the allen wrench to the screw? but you would have to be really careful working in such small spaces. just a thought.

auck said:
solder the tip of the allen wrench to the screw? but you would have to be really careful working in such small spaces. just a thought.

Not sure they're the right types of metals for that. It'll be the same result as my attempt of Loctite.

If I could find a replacement shell in stock in the UK I'd be more inclined to just melt it out. :(

DomKane said:
Hey guys.

When nothing else worked, I just drill the screw with a smaller diameter drill throught the screw. Then just scratch off residual and replace with a new screww.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik