Can't understand why I lost footage from this weekend!!!

Reaction score
So I took a super cool golf trip this weekend with some buddies. I brought my GoPro Hero 3+ black for ground footage and also my new vision 2 + for aerial stuff. I used the same micro sd 32gb card made by drones Etc that came with the Vision 2 + package I bought on Amazon. First off I noticed the go pro would often stop recording after just 6-12 seconds, thought this was odd but worked around it. I fired up the V2+ threw in the same micro sd card and got about 15 minutes of super nice footage. I hand-caught the phantom and turned it off before turning off the camera on the vision app, threw the micro sd card back into the go pro and started filming again. Anyways I just got home excited to edit a super cool video but I find out that half of my files are corrupted and coming up not as MP4's but .THM and .LRV and not able to convert. The Vision + had only one 4 second clip on it and nothing else. I know for a fact that I was the vision app said I was recording a video every time i glanced down at it. I tried turning it on tonight with the micro sd card in it because I read this might finish off the video I filmed but nothing. I also tried recording a new video which in the app it showed it was working however nothing on the micro sd card. Any suggestions or ideas? Super bummed that I lost all this great footage. I read a little about the go pro and I think this micro sd isn't the quality needed to film in 1080p/60fps with my go pro. So I just ordered a new sandisk extreme 32 GB micro sd. Do you guys know that this will will work with the V2+? And also should I not be switching the micro sd card back and forth like this but rather have a separate sd card for each camera?

Never had any issues with this same Micro sd card and the V2+ prior to throwing it into my Gopro camera this weekend. Super annoying to put in all that effort filming and have nothing to show for it!

Have you really lost it? Maybe your pc isnt adequate to play back 1080 at 60fps.

What class was your sd card? Was it UHS 1 or better? Gopro 3+ black recommends 45 mbs card.

Use an android app called sd insight to determine if your card is a fake or not. Fake cards are known corrupt data.

Half of the video clips I recorded on the 3+Black come out fine. The other half are corrupt! I have no way of knowing how many mbs this card is. It just sys its from Drones ETC and it says 32GB 10 HC on it. The thing that I'm most bummed about is none of the 15 minutes of aerial footage I recorded shows up on my card except for a 4 second clip! Super frustrating!

yrusoslowh0e said:
I hand-caught the phantom and turned it off before turning off the camera on the vision app, threw the micro sd card back into the go pro and started filming again
This sounds like the main problem.
You should stop the video in the app before switching off the Phantom.
This closes the file properly.
It's likely that the Gopro recorded over the same space since the video file had not been closed.
It's a good idea to keep separate cards for the different cameras.

The most important thing is to stop first the video recording from the app...not the phantom or the rc or the app. You've to stop the recording first!

General point. For performance reasons, file systems do not write data to the disk initially, they write to memory buffers in the driver. Periodically the driver flushes the buffer to disk. To be sure that your data gets to disk and that the file is closed off properly you must give the application doing the writing a chance to deinitialise and clean up properly. It has always been thus.

You're doing two wrong things - as mentioned above always stop the recording and let it close the file before switching off - at least a minute sometimes.
Secondly it's unwise to swap the SD card between cameras without formatting (from the app) because the file layout and folders might not be the same which will cause problems.

The GoPro won't be happy with the phantom's Class 4 card - too slow - you need Class 10 for that, Class 10 is OK for the phantom too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20