Can't take photos of Eiffel tower at night?

Is this true?
You can't take pictures of the Eiffel Tower at night

Cruising around as a hobbyist with my drone at night, point toward Eiffel Tower and capture it in video and that's a crime?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you don't share it publicly, you will be fine. Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to fly a drone around Paris right now given the heightened security after terrorist attacks. There are cops/soldiers all around the Eiffel Tower in normal times.

The issue with the tower is the light show is "copyrighted" property. By making a video of the show you are steeling their intellectual property. They equate it to taking a video camera into a movie theater and videoing the movie. It's not just drones, anyone filming with a video capable device is technically breaking the law.

The issue with the tower is the light show is "copyrighted" property. By making a video of the show you are steeling their intellectual property. They equate it to taking a video camera into a movie theater and videoing the movie. It's not just drones, anyone filming with a video capable device is technically breaking the law.

Really? I was in Paris few years ago and many were shooting videos when the show started. I saw even cops didn't object to it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's not the only crime you would be committing..... in France it's illegal to fly drones at night, or to fly over populated areas.....the Eiffel Tower would be the least of your worries!

Reactions: N017RW
The drone part I get, but not being able to take a picture outside in a public place? pffttt! Good luck with that...

Really? I was in Paris few years ago and many were shooting videos when the show started. I saw even cops didn't object to it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Local police will probably not get involved in copyright issues. It is when someone is blatant about the video such as including in a music video or other commercial use. And I would suspect that if a private video posted to YouTube went viral the OP would receive some unwanted attention from lawyers.

The drone part I get, but not being able to take a picture outside in a public place? pffttt! Good luck with that...
Picture, no problem. Video of a copyrighted work is different. I would argue that by playing it in public without charge they are in effect putting into the public domain, but then I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Picture, no problem. Video of a copyrighted work is different. I would argue that by playing it in public without charge they are in effect putting into the public domain, but then I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Well, I've had a video of the Eiffel Tower at night on my YT channel for quite a few years and so far nobody has been beating on my door. Shaky cell phone video, but video nonetheless...I agree with your other statement that it is probably more directed at commercial use...postcards, etc...

I don't think they Eiffel tower should have an expectation of privacy in a public space. It should go indoors if it wants privacy. :D

And if I take video of it and the French want to sue me that's fine, I just won't go back to France.

I would suggest informing the local police for advice for 2 reasons.... One is your covered and you let them know (get it in writing or filmed if they agree) and secondly... It could get shot down due to the terrorism that's happened...and if it did.. Then the police will have to replace it.

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Flying in Paris has been a NO NO for some time now.

Taking pictures is ok, as long is it is for personal use.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4