Can't remove Hex Screw, just turns round and round

Stripped thread by the sounds of it. Can come out of the factory that way.
MAJOR pain when this happens and an equally MAJOR pain to fix.
Simplest way is to remove all the other shell screws and then splaying the shell halves apart undo the screw, or try to.
You could try some GOOD superglue in the head and wait for it to set to give you some longitudinal pull.
Or..a tungsten carbide tip in a Dremel moto-tool or similar to grind the head off very carefully !

There are 4 or 5 other techniques but useless here due to the size of the screw.

Helpful ?

AsiaFlyer said:
One of my Hex Screws that holds the shell in place won't come out, it is just turning in the mounting (feels quite tight), any ideas of fixing this or getting it out?

Sounds like the brass threaded insert in the plastic shell, that the screw screws into, has come loose. You'll probably need to remove the head of the screw to remove the shell. As mentioned this can be done with a Dremel with the appropriate attachment, or a drill bit (no bigger than 5mm) You won't be able to reuse the screw, and it is unlikely you will be able to attach another screw to the threaded insert.

I wouldn't even TRY to drill screws out...sounds goods in theory but reality has different ideas (as usual) :mrgreen:
Yes, as mentioned, the threaded insert may have come loose from the plastic surround in which case the splaying of the shells is the best approach, and I've done this quite a few times (not on DJI stuff) over the years with great success. Don't be afraid to apply decent pressure too ! Wimpy pressure will not work !!
If the insert has come loose then superglue it back in (FAST , as superglue sets fast) once removed.
If you've removed all other screws, then rotating the shell while splaying will probably improve results too (helps to work it loose).

Remove all other screws and then applying a little pressure to pull it apart try to unscrew it.

If this fails - try using a soldering iron to heat the screw up by resting the tip onto it. Be carful how much heat you apply. Allow to cool and then try to unscrew it.

Failing the above it then it looks like Dremel time.

AsiaFlyer said:
One of my Hex Screws that holds the shell in place won't come out, it is just turning in the mounting (feels quite tight), any ideas of fixing this or getting it out?

Happened to me the first time I opened my P2. I experienced first panic, then fear, uncertainty and doubt, and then decided to fix it. Did many tricks to attempt to get it out by normal means using superglue, diamond dust in suspension, precision screw extraction drivers, and a couple of other things without success. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet and drill it out.

First put it into a vise lined with a towel to avoid scratching the surface. Gently tightened the vise to hold it enough to prevent movement from the drill but not enough to hurt the shell. Be careful! Better to start gently and tighten in tiny increments if needed. Found a drill bit the diameter of which fit easily into the diameter of the screw and then bored right on through it! I didn't have to go all the way since the head of the screw and the top part of it blew out. Then I had only to unscrew, with a small pliers, the bottom part of the screw shaft...

In retrospect, I spent a lot of (wasted) time on alternate removal techniques instead of going right to the drill! As always, YMMV!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.