Can't Play .mov files.

Reaction score
I keep forgetting to change to 1080p .mp4 format so I come home with these huge 4k .movs which will not play on my computer. Does anyone know how I can convert them to 1080P .mp4s?

Also, if there's a player out there that will play them as 4k .movs I'd be interested in that too.

On the bright side, my Roku will play them back from my Plex server, but I'd really like to not have to copy these 4GB files across my LAN every time I want to view something.

Thanks

On a Mac, Apple's Compressor will re-encode to many different sizes and CODECs. For Windows, the media encoder will do the job. On the Mac, 5KPlayer will play the 4K files with no conversions, if the Mac it is running on has the ability to display the 4K pixel dimensions

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It's the .h264 encoding that will not play. You need that codec on your system.
Or you could use a player like VLC that has the codec built in.

I keep forgetting to change to 1080p .mp4 format so I come home with these huge 4k .movs which will not play on my computer.
It's probably not that they won't play on your computer but rather that they won't play on the software that you are trying hem on.
Download VLC media player and try that.

It's probably not that they won't play on your computer but rather that they won't play on the software that you are trying hem on.
Download VLC media player and try that.

Thanks everyone. I should have done a better job on my title. What's I'd really like to be able to do is convert them to mp4s. I'll have to look for the windows media encoder David talk about. As for VLC, it plays them--very jerky then jumps ahead five seconds, freezes, jerks around ... repeat. I'm running with an I5 & 4GB RAM which I know is light--hence my desire to convert them to 1080P. I just don't need 4K with the disk space it consumes. nor will I likely need 16K when that comes out.

So I will look into Windows media encoder but I will ask right now if anyone know of another to to convert since it's been my experience the M$ doesn't impress me much.

The only 4K files that will play on most computers are the editing CODECs like PoRes. The H264 CODEC, which is what is inside the DJI video streams, puts too much stress on the computer CPU, and it stutters and drops frames. MP4 is a container, not a CODEC. You can get excellent video contained inside it, by selecting the CODEC to be used within it, and a fast enough bit rate for the quality you want. The media encoder will let you select all these parameters.

Re-encoding to a HD or 1080 pixel dimension, will fix the problem in most cases, as the 1080 video stream needs only 25%

Try a program called Hand Brake for recoding. If you are having trouble playing the files it could take a while to recode. But worth a try.

HandBrake: Downloads

Handbrake is an excellent program. It's limitations is that it only encodes to H264 and H265. These are fine for simple viewing, but are horrible to edit with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31