Can't format sd card on P4P, but can on P4

Reaction score
I still cannot format sd cards that have been formatted in another device (GoPro). This has been a known issue for some time, just wondering if it has been addressed in the latest firmware?

The same exact card that won't format in my P4P will immediately format in my friends P4. So it's definitely a P4P problem.
The only solution I've found is formatting the card on a windows computer, which are difficult to find on a location shoot.

I still cannot format sd cards that have been formatted in another device (GoPro). This has been a known issue for some time, just wondering if it has been addressed in the latest firmware?

The same exact card that won't format in my P4P will immediately format in my friends P4. So it's definitely a P4P problem.
The only solution I've found is formatting the card on a windows computer, which are difficult to find on a location shoot.
What type of card are you using. Many newer systems demand a faster read / write. What is the cache rate of your card. An older card won't work because it is not fast enough.

Strange. In two years I have never had to format a card in my drone. I format each new card once in my PC, then take video with the drone, then offload videos from the card in my PC, erase videos from the card on my PC, then reload the card in the drone, or my SD card case. I have about 8 cards, each are 32GB, so I guess I've never had to format in the field. I wouldn't know if drone formatting works or not. Sorry.

San disk extreme or extreme pro. I work in television, production companies often provide their own media so they can walk away with it at the end of the day.

Ok, two responses.
For John Locke, when i got my Phantom 4 Pro, after initial start up I got the "DJI go app has shut down" warning." The solution was to do a system reset including reformatting the sd card. Without the reformat, the app kept closing down. I tried a reset without a reformat, and it didn't work. Apparently, the SD card interfaces with the remote in a way that there is a file that needs to be added to the card.

For Jobo95, the card you are using has a speed that should work. However, some of the cards may not be formated to FAT32. I have seen programs reformat cards to NTFS. That will not work for the drone.

Try the following, hook the drone and remote together using the micro USB to the drone and the USB to the remote. Turn them on and see if you can get to the factory reset option. Then, reset and check the box that says reformat the card. You will have to re enter the wifi and login on boot, but everything should work. I had issues with my card that worked without a hitch on the P4, but caused a boot problem and issues on the P4 Pro. The reset and reformat solved the issue.

And for John Locke, I assume you are choosing that as your nom de plume. Interesting choice.

One more point, in my experience, once you've got the card formatted in the P4 Pro, don't use it in another device like the GoPro. The new device, in my experience, will cause a file change that makes the issue recur. Get a dedicated card just for the drone. They are cheap and getting cheaper.

So, safe to say, the newest firmware doesn't fix much, including the sd card problem.
That was my original question

I have my own cards that work fine once formatted. I don't always have the luxury of using my own cards, in the TV world that's just the way it is sometimes. Its disappointing that the newer model P4P will refuse cards that the older P4 can handle. It is counterproductive on tightly scheduled days for professional use. It's disappointing DJI hasn't fixed this. I shouldn't have to do a full reset just to use new media, or waste time trying to find a windows machine to format media. That is a ridiculous ask-for a product labeled professional.

I have my own cards that work fine once formatted. I don't always have the luxury of using my own cards, in the TV world that's just the way it is sometimes. Its disappointing that the newer model P4P will refuse cards that the older P4 can handle. It is counterproductive on tightly scheduled days for professional use. It's disappointing DJI hasn't fixed this. I shouldn't have to do a full reset just to use new media, or waste time trying to find a windows machine to format media. That is a ridiculous ask-for a product labeled professional.

Not to belabor the point, but there are multiple proprietary systems. I agree that everything should be compatible. I hate the fact that my cell phone micro usb doesn't work with the new USB C port charger.

And, none of my cell phone batteries interchange.

And, Apple software doesn't work on my Android. And even more absurd is that Windows software is not backward compatible with my old printer.

But, is it really that big of a problem to simply have an SD card formatted and ready for the Pro 4. As I noted, they are inexpensive and readily available.

I had sane problem with 64 Gb U3 Toshiba... perfect with P4 and formatting problems with P4P. Now i have only SanDisk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers