Can't Connect to SAFE TO FLY after Crash

Reaction score
So this baby is a little more than a week old before it suffered its first serious crash. The copter came down pretty hard on concrete and crashed at an angle with most of the force hitting the top/left side. Camera snapped off as did the video ribbon. After checking out the bird and dusting it off IT STILL WORKS (kinda). The bird can still fly but i noticed some immediate issues. Obviously it can't pull a video feed but it no longer gets the green SAVE TO FLY (GPS) icon anymore on the app. Its odd but i can see several GPS satellites that it can lock onto. Also the bird doesn seem as steady and the doesn't hover quite like it used prior to the crash. I've had a chance to inspect the inside and examined the gps head sensor and all seems fine and itsn't cracked. So could the issues be that i need a new video ribbon? What could be causing the issues with not being able to connect to the GPS?

Appreciate any assistance.

TX

Did you recalibrate the IMU? If not, try that.

Compass is in the landing gear. Did you check that?

So this baby is a little more than a week old before it suffered its first serious crash. The copter came down pretty hard on concrete and crashed at an angle with most of the force hitting the top/left side. Camera snapped off as did the video ribbon. After checking out the bird and dusting it off IT STILL WORKS (kinda). The bird can still fly but i noticed some immediate issues. Obviously it can't pull a video feed but it no longer gets the green SAVE TO FLY (GPS) icon anymore on the app. Its odd but i can see several GPS satellites that it can lock onto. Also the bird doesn seem as steady and the doesn't hover quite like it used prior to the crash. I've had a chance to inspect the inside and examined the gps head sensor and all seems fine and itsn't cracked. So could the issues be that i need a new video ribbon? What could be causing the issues with not being able to connect to the GPS?

Appreciate any assistance.

TX
Also check the GPS antenna for cracks. They're ceramic and very fragile. Especially in an crash that impacts the top of the craft.

Thanks for getting back. I just checked the ceramic plate and didn't see any visible damage.
Would a new GPS unit remedy the issue?

Carlos

Thanks for getting back. I just checked the ceramic plate and didn't see any visible damage.
Would a new GPS unit remedy the issue?

Carlos
Not if the original is fine. Are the connections to the GPS antenna solidly and firmly intact? If so that may not be your issue and you'll need to look elsewhere.

Thanks. Anyway to visible check or test via the app to see if its working correctly?

Carlos
You can open the compass container on the landing leg and trace the wires back to the main board. Have you performed a Compass Calibration? Did it calibrate successfully?

I did but when i went out to the street to calibrate and try to get a lock and the actual location it
was showing was off. Also after inspecting the compass on the landing peg my was covered with what looks like glue.
Is that normal? How can i remove that?

I did but when i went out to the street to calibrate and try to get a lock and the actual location it
was showing was off. Also after inspecting the compass on the landing peg my was covered with what looks like glue.
Is that normal? How can i remove that?
It's normal it keeps the compass in place DONT remove it. Did you perform the compass calibration? What do you mean it was "showing off" that it was not showing your exact location on the map view? If you have not performed a compass calibration this could be your problem. Also do the IMU calibration. If you dont know how to calibrate the IMU and Gimbal look it up on YouTube.

Figured that much. Looks like its not meant to messed with. :)
I calibrated and everything seems ok but... i still can't get a green save to fly to come up.
So im thinking its a GPS issues if it wont connect.

Carlos

Have you tried taking it to an open field away from magnetic and/or wifi interference to do your checking and testing.

Think that's a good idea. Going to try that but did i mention that the video ribbon and camera came off. Would that cause the copter to have issues in getting it in the Safe to fly mode?

C

Think that's a good idea. Going to try that but did i mention that the video ribbon and camera came off. Would that cause the copter to have issues in getting it in the Safe to fly mode?

C
Compass error, caused by metal near the aircraft or magnetic interference or maybe wifi interference. Check the channels in the app to see what they are showing and see if you have any clear channels to fly on--

Hi
Compass error, caused by metal near the aircraft or magnetic interference or maybe wifi interference. Check the channels in the app to see what they are showing and see if you have any clear channels to fly on--

Can i update the firmware without the video ribbon connected to the camera?

Hi

That is a great question-- if you put the SD card in, will the Phantom read the file-- trial and error here-- o_O

My suggestion is to replace your compass. I had the exact same thing happen after my crash.

Hi

Probably not. I was unable to update my firmware after an incident when I decided to leave the VPS disconnected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31