Cant ascend, descending with full left stick up

Reaction score
I am a new P2 pilot but I cant be this bad... I have a P2 with gopro gimbal and FPV. I updated to the new firmware which bricked it until this morning, but now I go to fly and the darn thing wont stay up. I have recalibrated the compass and everything checks out ok. Is there any reason that with full left stick up it would just start coming down? It seems to just like to smash itself into the ground over and over. Super frustrating and it doesnt even want to hold its hover in gps mode.
IDEAS PLEASE!!

limesed said:
I am a new P2 pilot but I cant be this bad... I have a P2 with gopro gimbal and FPV. I updated to the new firmware which bricked it until this morning, but now I go to fly and the darn thing wont stay up. I have recalibrated the compass and everything checks out ok. Is there any reason that with full left stick up it would just start coming down? It seems to just like to smash itself into the ground over and over. Super frustrating and it doesnt even want to hold its hover in gps mode.
IDEAS PLEASE!!

You need to make sure you have fully calibrated each stick input on the remote and then the Phantom each time you change the firmware. You need to confirm in the Phantom Assistant the controls have full range and then sit in the middle by default.

There is also the auto-land function which will happen towards the end of the flight when your battery reaches 10.6V. It will make the Phantom descend slowly and the throttle will be much less responsive requiring full up throttle to ascend only slowly.

I fully recalibrated everything. I think it wants to do autoland any time i bring it low and back towards me... I know if i descend quickly straight down it will go a little nuts from the turbulent air but if i go in a straight line within 50 feet of the ground it drops and then eventually it will come back up but if the ground is near it, it just smashes into the ground.

So it flies OK until you bring it back towards you? Does it descend during forward flight, or does it coincide with something else, like bringing it to a stop, changing direction etc.? Are you only using GPS mode? Prop guards? What elevation are you flying at?

it takes off ok, but i dont get the shot of lift straight up the way i expected to, it takes some time to get altitude, but I am at about 5300ft field elevation so that may have some to do with it. The major descents happen when i change direction or stop, sometimes when going forward, but it is sporadic. Sometimes it does just fine and others it will loose 50ft or so as if the motors gave out... but i can hear them going just fine. Im flying mostly in GPS mode, but ive tried ATI as well. the big issue is close to the ground when i want it to go up and it is a struggle, definitely feels like i am fighting autoland. I will try more tomorrow and update. Definitely could be some user error on my part.

4wd said:
Suspect you need to apply the default gains while connected to Assistant software.

Ok so i recalibrated the controller and now it wont get enought power to take off at all... i can tell its not getting full motor on takeoff by the sound. it does get full forward power though from the right stick. Ive done IMU calibration both basic and advanced, and calibrated the control in both the RC and assistant software. Even in my living room I can power it on with full lift and it will just sit on the floor trying... The control recognizes full throttle at 1000 sooo im lost.

Im attaching pictures of everything... are my gain values out of wach? I have hit the default button and that is waht it gives me...

Thanks

Attachments

• gains.JPG
    gains.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 658
  • imu.JPG
    imu.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 670
  • control calibration.JPG
    control calibration.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 658
In your calibration pics, why is E stick full right? It should be dead center. And since doing firmware update - how far do you live from an airport?

EMCSQUAR said:
In your calibration pics, why is E stick full right? It should be dead center. And since doing firmware update - how far do you live from an airport?

I pushed it to full to show that it was reading full throttle. I am not within the no fly zone area, i definitely checked that as well.

limesed said:
EMCSQUAR said:

I pushed it to full to show that it was reading full throttle. I am not within the no fly zone area, i definitely checked that as well.

Hang on - that's the elevator stick, not the throttle. Presumably you are not trying to take off using elevator.

sar104 said:
limesed said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Hang on - that's the elevator stick, not the throttle. Presumably you are not trying to take off using elevator.
Shouldn't the controller be in mode 2?? The picture shows Mode 1
I have a FC40 so just asking, I haven't looked into the answer.

well shoot... changed it to mode 2 and things seem to be preliminary better. we will see more tomorrow.... this may be on a different thread but in GPS mode if i let it hover it tends to float back and to the right... I think i fix this in gain but honestly have no clue yet how exactly to adjust that.

And thanks for all the help, this forum has been a savior!

Also, Downloaded the latest Phantom 2 software for your PC on DJI.COM. Make sure you have the appropriate channels reversed. Your trimming might also be offset. Do a basic calibration and see if that helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie