Cannot retrieve images or video HELP

Reaction score
New to drones and just picked up the DJI phantom 3 standard last week. I have done roughly 5 flights with it and always taken pictures while in the air. I went to get the pictures the other day off the drone and when I do it wireless through the app it says reload and cannot locate any pictures. When I exit out of the camera mode and go to the edit pic/vid page 1/15 times it will show one video then disappear shortly after. I have taken out the memory card multiple times and when i check my software version is says unknown.. another issue is range. I can fly it down my block and get a weak signal rating within the first few min. Should I return it and get a new one? Or am I missing something..

Thanks

You need a micro-sd card reader. Download the images directly from the sd card. As for the range issues, go to the manual and read up on antenna orientation. Physical obstructions such as trees and buildings will limit your range long before distance comes into play. And the interference in a neighborhood can be terrible. Go fly in the wide open spaces before you write off your drone.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: flyboy73
You need a micro-sd card reader. Download the images directly from the sd card. As for the range issues, go to the manual and read up on antenna orientation. Physical obstructions such as trees and buildings will limit your range long before distance comes into play. And the interference in a neighborhood can be terrible. Go fly in the wide open spaces before you write off your drone.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the reply, dealing with a sd card reader then converting to the comp then getting back onto my phone is a hassle, is there no way to go wireless direct to the phone? I know the app should have the ability I just believe it or the drone is not functioning properly

For me. trying to edit on the phone is a hassle, so I don't do it, don't really know how. Plus, the image/video quality available via the SD card is way better than that in the app. No noise or dropouts. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, dealing with a sd card reader then converting to the comp then getting back onto my phone is a hassle, is there no way to go wireless direct to the phone? I know the app should have the ability I just believe it or the drone is not functioning properly

Those movie files on the SD card are huge! I think every 9 minutes of flight mine are around 4-5GB in size at 4K and two of them (The thing stops and resumes a new file every 4+GB due to the FAT32 I think? Drops a few frames during that transition too - ugh!) and then continues so it becomes maybe 9GB in size for one flight. Transferring that wirelessly will take forever to a phone and eat up your phone's memory and data plan both. To edit on a phone would take ages if it could do it as some of my edited files show to be about 36GB in size once edited on the computer. Try and edit that 36GB file would become maybe 72GB in size during processing - whew! That sort of heavy duty video editing stuff is best done on a real editing-type computer and not on a phone, or until phones act like some super gamer's computer.

Last edited:
Exactly ..... best way is to transfer direct card via a reader to a PC ... then you can edit much easier and faster ...

Lets be honest smartphones and such are great for the girlfriend to text her friends and update Facebook .... but naff all use for serious stuff like this.

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen