Cannot remove phantom 4 pro battery

Reaction score
I just received my P4P today. Was able to remove the battery that came with it just fine and put in a second battery I had bought for it since it was fully charged.

After updating the firmware and adjusting my settings I went to replace the battery with the original one which had become fully charged only to find that I can't remove the battery.

Both latches depress and move freely, and I can slide it out 1/16" but no matter how hard I squeeze my fingers to keep a form grip it just won't budge any further. I'm afraid any more pressure and I might damage the drone body itself. I gave up after getting blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

Anyone else have experience like this?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Yes, my new P4P's battery is very tight to. Make sure it is in the rite way up. Look at your other battery and you will notice there are 'small grooves - tracks' on one side only, these have to be matched to the grooves inside the body.
I put small DYNMO printed "Batt~1, Batt~2 & Batt~3" stickers on the top of each battery so I could quickly tell which way they go in.
They take a fair amount of force to get out if they are in wrong.....
Hope this helps

Thanks for responding. Yes I've noticed the grooves. I've never been able to put these batteries in the wrong way before anyway--grooves are on top. I have a P4 with very similar batteries and never had this issue.

I have the same problem; it does seem that it is getting easier over time. I didn't want to use anything metal to pry it out, so I have been using a fingernail. Once I get it started it comes right out.

Reactions: Indio
I saw a YouTube video of someone putting Silicone grease on the ridges of his P2V+ batteries which seemed to do the trick. So maybe I'll try that once I get this battery out.

Save your fingernails and get in there with a table-knife blade :eek::confused:... settle down, settle down .... one of these disposable picnic plastic type. You can get a whole 12 cutlery pack from the Poundland shop. Should be strong enough (better than your nails) to lever out without damaging the battery or body shell. I've used them as a cheap podger when dis-assembling laptops etc.. Don't try prying out like it was a tyre lever but think of it as a nail extension. HTH ;)

I saw a YouTube video of someone putting Silicone grease on the ridges of his P2V+ batteries which seemed to do the trick. So maybe I'll try that once I get this battery out.

Good idea, I have a tube of silicon grease here that i'm going to try too. I'm only going to do one for now in case it attracts to much dust etc,,,,,

Good idea, I have a tube of silicon grease here that i'm going to try too. I'm only going to do one for now in case it attracts to much dust etc,,,,,
I just received my P4P today. Was able to remove the battery that came with it just fine and put in a second battery I had bought for it since it was fully charged.

After updating the firmware and adjusting my settings I went to replace the battery with the original one which had become fully charged only to find that I can't remove the battery.

Both latches depress and move freely, and I can slide it out 1/16" but no matter how hard I squeeze my fingers to keep a form grip it just won't budge any further. I'm afraid any more pressure and I might damage the drone body itself. I gave up after getting blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

I got my P4P a few days ago and have big problems to remove the batteries from the Drone. Same problem with the spare battery. My drone is unusable because of that and will return the P4P on monday. I am not going to experiment with grease or any other method to avoid warranty problems. If you are lucky and using maximum force it will come out but it is very painful to the fingers and can take a lot time and renewed attempts

Last edited:
I have the same problem; it does seem that it is getting easier over time. I didn't want to use anything metal to pry it out, so I have been using a fingernail. Once I get it started it comes right out.

thats the way i use and working well

Wondering wether this is a drone or a battery problem ? Tried 2 batteries and with both i have the same problem and assume therefore that de drone is causing the issue.

This happened to me on my P3P last year. Examination of the battery compartment showed a gimbal assembly screw protruding approx 1/32-1/8-in into the battery groove, near the front of the battery when inserted. I would have to disassemble the Gimbal to access that screw and back it out slightly. My solution was to look for the small "nick" on the front of the battery made by the protruding screw, then file that portion of the battery case (ever so slightly so as not to disturb the integrity of the battery) to accommodate the screw's protrusion. Problem solved. Done the same to all my batteries and after about 50-60 recharges, no battery issues, and the batteries slide in and out easily. FWIW

This happened to me on my P3P last year. Examination of the battery compartment showed a gimbal assembly screw protruding approx 1/32-1/8-in into the battery groove, near the front of the battery when inserted. I would have to disassemble the Gimbal to access that screw and back it out slightly. My solution was to look for the small "nick" on the front of the battery made by the protruding screw, then file that portion of the battery case (ever so slightly so as not to disturb the integrity of the battery) to accommodate the screw's protrusion. Problem solved. Done the same to all my batteries and after about 50-60 recharges, no battery issues, and the batteries slide in and out easily. FWIW

Thanks for the suggestion but i do not have this problem. Your suggestion prompted me to look into the battery compartment and noticed that a sticker with some safety information was glued on the bottom.
This might cause the problem but as i am still in the "return" period i am not going to remove this sticker.
The OP skyeboy steve might want to try this.

Hey TxM
Don't really specifically know what the problem w removing your batt is but I can address a couple of simple points regarding install and removal.
Number one - look bf you stick it in. Meaning perform a quick inspection of contacts both on body and battery contacts before insertion.
Why? Debris can easily hide between contacts or fall into battery cavity with one careless act. This can lead to contact damage and or battery malfunction, hopefully not during flight as contact t mps increase.
Number two- whilst inserting a battery, fresh or stale, DEPRESS both upper and lower contacts at the same time during insertion.
Why? In the event of contact debris presence the operator will have a higher sense of awareness regarding insertion forces required to insert the battery. With elimination of the forces required to compress the battery retainers/locks, the operator will greatly reduce maintenance or mishaps once the required insertion forces are "familiarized".
Number three- With regard to Number Two above, I would notrecommend using lubricants to aid battery insertion.
Why? Several reasons. Regarding possible contact debris presence, any type of lubricant application to "aid" battery installation may only aid in damaging contacts du to the operators lessened sense of force required for a normal debris free insertion. Also most lubricants are not electrically conductive should it find its way to the battery contacts, especially silicone types. There are conductive greases out there but there is a reason he the battery contacts are spaced apart from each other?
Sorry for long narrative..
MJJ Republic of Texas
Happy flying!

I would avoid any lubricants or chemicals as well, they may damage the plastic itself. Best solution is to get your grandson with the abnormally strong right hand and pay him $5 to bounce them in and out a few dozen times. Then try it yourself.

Reactions: rosco123
Thanks for all the comments, guys... After breaking three plastic knives, and getting one massive blister on my right thumb, I finally got it out. Since the battery that the P4P came with comes out ok (though it's not as easy as the batteries in my P4) and requires some grunting, I tried a little bit of silicone grease (a DuPont Fluoropolymer) inside the grooves then slid in back and forth inside the compartment several times to lubricate and confirmed that no excess "grease" was forced out of the grooves. I can now take the battery out with my left hand (my right thumb is useless at the moment) easier, though it does take about 30 seconds of grunting... However, I'm not sure if the grease is actually what helped, as I've now noticed some scraping on both of the lower corners of the battery compartment near the back--so it seems that's where the conflict is--which makes sense, since the hardest part of pulling the battery out is when it's nearly completely inserted. I'm going to go ahead and wipe out the trace amounts of silicone grease just to be on the safe side, now that I'm fairly sure the obstructions are not where the grooves are. The grease is supposed to be safe on plastics, but I know not all plastics are the same either.

I also have two regular capacity P4 batteries that I've now tried in my P4P; and one comes out ok, and the other requires a little work but not as hard as either of the P4P higher capacity batteries...

I have noticed that the P4P batteries are much more difficult to pull out of the P4 aircraft, than the P4 batteries which I have little trouble with in either aircraft.

As for getting someone with stronger hands to do it--check out this video from someone who claims to be a rock climber: (Granted his is a P4--but in theory the batteries and battery compartments should be quite similar).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosco123
i agree, mine was a bugger when I first got it. It loosened up after some use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31