Cannot open dng files on MBP mac os sierra.

Reaction score
Just got a new P4P. I cannot open the raw files on Photos for mac. It says corrupted or unrecognizable file. I download the files to Photos and the photos show a mall j in the corner but all I get is the jpeg format. Any help?

Exit, you will have to use Photoshop, Lightroom or another program for the dgn's. You can try to import them to Photos after downloading to the Mac. But it will not take them directly to Photos. I found this out as well. Also, if you are getting the small J, you can try the edit menu and select edit DGN. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Exit, you will have to use Photoshop, Lightroom or another program for the dgn's. You can try to import them to Photos after downloading to the Mac. But it will not take them directly to Photos. I found this out as well. Also, if you are getting the small J, you can try the edit menu and select edit DGN. Good luck!

I tried the edit menu but did not offer the option for dng.
Which program do you recommend?
Thanks.

Just got a new P4P. I cannot open the raw files on Photos for mac. It says corrupted or unrecognizable file. I download the files to Photos and the photos show a mall j in the corner but all I get is the jpeg format. Any help?

You'll need this handy little utility even w/Photoshop or Lightroom. It converts the files to a .dng that PS or Lightroom can read.
Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Reactions: WebheadFred
I tried the edit menu but did not offer the option for dng.
Which program do you recommend?
Thanks.

Exit, I decided to get the Adobe Cloud Photo subscription. It gives you Photoshop and Lightroom, plus some others. You also can use the Mobil versions on iPad or iPhone. It works flawlessly. You can import DGNs directly into them. You do not need a converter. I do it all the time. YouTube has specific channels for tutorials, which are great. I highly recommend those.

Here is an example of how well they work for me. Good luck!
IMG_1487781624.619146.jpg

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Exit, I decided to get the Adobe Cloud Photo subscription. It gives you Photoshop and Lightroom, plus some others. You also can use the Mobil versions on iPad or iPhone. It works flawlessly. You can import DGNs directly into them. You do not need a converter. I do it all the time. YouTube has specific channels for tutorials, which are great. I highly recommend those.

Here is an example of how well they work for me. Good luck!View attachment 76861

Thats beautiful.

Reactions: Nickster
I just tried this and it seriously cuts the file down. Was 34mb file now 22mb after converting. It must be deleting info?
Like Nickster said, You won't need that Adobe Converter if you subscribe to the Adobe Cloud with PS and Lightroom. It will read your DNG files just fine. Older versions of PS will not read a DNG.

Reactions: Nickster
Can't understand why I can open dng files from my P3A?
I can open dng files downloaded from my P3A and edit them but not the new ones from the P4P. Could it be that they are so much larger?

Last edited:
I just tried this and it seriously cuts the file down. Was 34mb file now 22mb after converting. It must be deleting info?

Nope. No deleting going on. Just creates a "true" .dng for you to "work" with. DNG files contain the same data, but are smaller than RAW. Hope you like the results :)

I really don't want to buy a program to work with these files if there is a way to use photos.
If you want to get the full benefit of all the information that the sensor can capture then you have to shoot RAW. Which is the DNG file. This raw file lets you really change and tweak colors and contrast without damaging the original file. If you just want to be fine with how pics come out of the camera then you'll have to shoot J-pegs and just enjoy them like they are. Results will be pretty good.

If you want to get the full benefit of all the information that the sensor can capture then you have to shoot RAW. Which is the DNG file. This raw file lets you really change and tweak colors and contrast without damaging the original file. If you just want to be fine with how pics come out of the camera then you'll have to shoot J-pegs and just enjoy them like they are. Results will be pretty good.

This is why I got the P4Pro. I want to edit and make better photos.

If you want to make the best photos possible then your gonna have to get a fairly serious software and learn how to use that software then. The best photo quality will come from processing a raw file in a raw file converter. This is after you have converted your DNG file if your software cannot read the raw file out of your bird. Most softwares should read the DNG file that comes straight out of the bird. How new is your computer?

Exactly KevMo. Which is why a buying a high resolution camera drone can make you feel all fuzzy inside - until you run into the high resolution bottleneck when you want to edit your shots in post production ie. your non-4K home computer. Suddenly you stop dreaming about your wonderful aerial shots - and wake up to a nightmare about which conversion software to buy.

Coming from the old school tv production environment, post production costs can quickly add up. Which is why, when considering your dream drone, you kinda have to double that investment into a basic post production environment, ready to work with the files you bring home.

It's like buying your first car. The new car smell in wonderful. Until the cost to actually run it hits you like a sledgehammer. ;)

Exactly KevMo. Which is why a buying a high resolution camera drone can make you feel all fuzzy inside - until you run into the high resolution bottleneck when you want to edit your shots in post production ie. your non-4K home computer. Suddenly you stop dreaming about your wonderful aerial shots - and wake up to a nightmare about which conversion software to buy.

Coming from the old school tv production environment, post production costs can quickly add up. Which is why, when considering your dream drone, you kinda have to double that investment into a basic post production environment, ready to work with the files you bring home.

It's like buying your first car. The new car smell in wonderful. Until the cost to actually run it hits you like a sledgehammer. ;)
Wow couldn't have said it better myself. This is pretty serious stuff for an average Joe that has not ever really delved into the digital world for sure. It's been a huge undertaking and learning curve for me in the last year learning how to use Premier Pro to get the best quality video's possible. And I have been a pro portrait photog for 31 years man. LOL Video is a whole diff ball of wax for sure. But I am starting to understand how daunting this must be for some folks that have never messed with a camera and how to set things manually and what can be achieved by doing that. And then, you are so right, you have to have a pretty darn good processor in your computer to even mess with video at all.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Wow couldn't have said it better myself. This is pretty serious stuff for an average Joe that has not ever really delved into the digital world for sure. It's been a huge undertaking and learning curve for me in the last year learning how to use Premier Pro to get the best quality video's possible. And I have been a pro portrait photog for 31 years man. LOL Video is a whole diff ball of wax for sure. But I am starting to understand how daunting this must be for some folks that have never messed with a camera and how to set things manually and what can be achieved by doing that. And then, you are so right, you have to have a pretty darn good processor in your computer to even mess with video at all.
Lol, so true. Suddenly realizing the potential of not only taking the perfect shot - but then being able to tweak it in post production until the point where you drool over your own genius (hahaha), is very satisfying. There's no way you can "rescue" a bad shot in post production. But there's a 1000 ways you can enhance that certain emotion you were looking for, while sitting behind your screen at home finagling, while drinking that black java. IF you have the right hardware/software to help you out.

If you want to make the best photos possible then your gonna have to get a fairly serious software and learn how to use that software then. The best photo quality will come from processing a raw file in a raw file converter. This is after you have converted your DNG file if your software cannot read the raw file out of your bird. Most softwares should read the DNG file that comes straight out of the bird. How new is your computer?
Late 2013 macbook pro

Reactions: DronePilotOne

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik