Cannot fly over congested area ? UK

Reaction score
Have just received my Phantom 4 for Christmas.

I've read the regulations that we cannot fly within 150m of a "congested area"

Does this mean that the only place you can fly a drone is over the sea, lake, or a field?

I was under the understanding that a drone can be flown over a town etc as long as it's not flown within 50m of people and buildings and certainly not at all in a city where there are Lots of people

I've seen that the UK laws specify "congested area" as including towns, in which case we can hardly fly our drones anywhere ?

Contrary to popular myth, the UK has many many square miles of open space. also the CAA guidelines are not 'law' but are there for your safety and the safety of others.........:)

It's still not clear about the rules, but I do fly over city centres around 100 metres above the crowed. I have a few videos up on YouTube with flying over the city. Have a look to get a rough idea of my height. The name on my YouTube is called Neon Euc

Neon Euc

I would also recommend getting insurance cover before you fly anywhere near anybody or anything. The most cost effective way is to join the BMFA (British Model Flying Association). You don't need to join a club. It's only £33 a year and it gives you up to £25m cover

You may also want to take a look at the Law at
The British Model Flying Association > Info > Know the Law

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for the link

See in that link, again, it says that I must not fly within 150 metres of a built up area...

Im afraid that's right. But like all these things common sense prevails.
By the way, the insurance cover is 3rd party cover...not repairing the Drone unfortunately!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers