Cannot callibrate compass

MyAntsRMarching said:
It goes with the wind, I just took it outside and fired it up. It is a slow flashing yellow. I also tested the controller and the computer was seeing all the commands and movements. It would start the calibration from the app, but would fail. Sat's wouldn't go over 5.

OK at least you got sats. That means GPS unit is working.
You do know that you actually can not enter GPS mode while your satellite count is under 6?
In Phantom mode, untill you get 6 satellites you will see slow flasing yellow, when you manage to acquire 6 satellites, you will first see rapid flashing green light, meaning your home position is saved right where your phantom is then, for future potential fail safe return to home mode. Then afterwards you would be seeing slow flashing green lights, indicating you are in GPS mode, if your satellite count again drops under 6 it will automatically disengage GPS mode and return to Attitude mode(which is basically self leveling with the means of the built in accelerometer). Generally flying outside GPS mode is considered unsafe(if you are not yet experienced).
Are you able to get to a different flying spot where you could get more satellites?
I would recommend at least 7 before you even take off.

What is with that arm LEDs when you are in the air, they are not working?

Can you take a screenshot of the IMU calibration part of the Assistant software, where it is possible to see the raw values given by the sensors on board(compass included)?

Here is the requested screenshot! Also in the air and when motors are on, all arm lights are on.

Attachments

• 2014-11-10_20-46-11.png
    2014-11-10_20-46-11.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 325
MyAntsRMarching said:
It goes with the wind, I just took it outside and fired it up. It is a slow flashing yellow. I also tested the controller and the computer was seeing all the commands and movements. It would start the calibration from the app, but would fail. Sat's wouldn't go over 5.
:?
There's the problem! ATTI Mode if less than 6 sats. regardless of Naza or Phantom mode.

Great job sorting things out for him Nathan. :D

Try a different location Ants, or there's something wrong with your GPS antenna on the bird.
How many sats do you usually get when you fly?

Idbird said:
MyAntsRMarching said:
:?
There's the problem! ATTI Mode if less than 6 sats. regardless of Naza or Phantom mode.

Great job sorting things out for him Nathan. :D

Try a different location Ants, or there's something wrong with your GPS antenna on the bird.
How many sats do you usually get when you fly?
10 or 11 I think. I usually have 10 in my backyard.

MyAntsRMarching said:
Here is the requested screenshot! Also in the air and when motors are on, all arm lights are on.

The compass values look good, otherwise you could try this method of reseting the compass with a magnet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT1rRE_UIg

But I still think something different is wrong. You must try to see if you can acquire more satellites. Because the problem would be if you did get 6 and more and it is still indicating that it is in Attitude mode/slow flashing yellow. You can also check which mode you are in by swiping on screen into the ground station part. Then by looking at the top left corner you can see the mode(GPS or ATTI)

Those LED lights you are missing during power up are still not ok. I notice you have some non-stock motors and propellers. Did you replace those motors? Because motor replacement requires soldering and one can easily damage the ESC board.

I bought it used, previous owner was a huge DJI user. I've probably had over 50 flights with it with zero problems.

MyAntsRMarching said:
I bought it used, previous owner was a huge DJI user. I've probably had over 50 flights with it with zero problems.

Well that's the problem. The guy probably had a crash, or he used it so much that his motors failed and then he replaced them. Cause (almost) nobody replaces the motors if there are no issues. The motors are soldered to the electronic boards(ESCs) so it is not an easy task to swap them out and definitely not a safe one, unless you are super experienced with soldering.

Now essentially you might be starting having issues simply because of "mileage" he made or because of his initial crash(es) :-/

You will have to do some serious checking. From everything said you might have at least two issues, malfunctioning ESC board, malfunctioning GPS unit.

Nathan Carter said:
MyAntsRMarching said:

Well that's the problem. The guy probably had a crash, or he used it so much that his motors failed and then he replaced them. Cause (almost) nobody replaces the motors if there are no issues. The motors are soldered to the electronic boards(ESCs) so it is not an easy task to swap them out and definitely not a safe one, unless you are super experienced with soldering.

Now essentially you might be starting having issues simply because of "mileage" he made or because of his initial crash(es) :-/

You will have to do some serious checking. From everything said you might have at least two issues, malfunctioning ESC board, malfunctioning GPS unit.
He did a lot of real estate photography, he said he upgraded the motors for a steadier shot and upgraded the blades to the carbon fiber ones.

MyAntsRMarching said:
He did a lot of real estate photography, he said he upgraded the motors for a steadier shot and upgraded the blades to the carbon fiber ones.

First regarding the carbon props, there have been a few reviews/tests of props out there and every single one of them concluded that the stock white plastic props are better. Many even had weird flying behavior with the carbon ones.

As for the motors, I would call BS on that one, since the stock motors are as steady as you could ever need(read: you can't notice any movement in the video). But OK lets give the man a benefit of the doubt and if you have time can you take a close up picture of the motors where some model number can be seen. Then maybe someone here with more experience can also jump in on discussion regarding that.

Changing stock motors just for the fun of it is something I can't believe anyone would do. For each motor you have to desolder three wires and then solder the new ones back in. Things can easily get wrong there and nobody can then anymore guarantee the quality of those soldered connections. You simply would not risk doing that if you had motors that are running fine. IMO.

Nathan Carter said:
MyAntsRMarching said:

First regarding the carbon props, there have been a few reviews/tests of props out there and every single one of them concluded that the stock white plastic props are better. Many even had weird flying behavior with the carbon ones.

As for the motors, I would call BS on that one, since the stock motors are as steady as you could ever need(read: you can't notice any movement in the video). But OK lets give the man a benefit of the doubt and if you have time can you take a close up picture of the motors where some model number can be seen. Then maybe someone here with more experience can also jump in on discussion regarding that.

Changing stock motors just for the fun of it is something I can't believe anyone would do. For each motor you have to desolder three wires and then solder the new ones back in. Things can easily get wrong there and nobody can then anymore guarantee the quality of those soldered connections. You simply would not risk doing that if you had motors that are running fine. IMO.
Nathan,
Thanks for all your help! I will open the shell up tonight and see if I can get some photos. I am pretty experienced in soldering so I shall take a look!

Check the GPS antenna wile its open for cracks in the ceramic plate.

ToThePoint said:
Check the GPS antenna wile its open for cracks in the ceramic plate.
Will do! Are there any guides out there on how to open the shell?

I sent the Phantom off to Hani, he was able to fix it. The GPS module went bad and needed to be replaced due to going bad. He also did the copper mod for shielding. He was super fast and very personable. Highly recommend Hani!

MyAntsRMarching said:
I sent the Phantom off to Hani, he was able to fix it. The GPS module went bad and needed to be replaced due to going bad. He also did the copper mod for shielding. He was super fast and very personable. Highly recommend Hani!
You sent it to a great technician. He knows his STUFF!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers