Cancun, Mexico. Risk Of Taking A P3 - Especially Customs Hijinks

Reaction score
I've read posts on traveling to Mexico with a Phantom but many are dated and offered different experiences. Does anyone have any 2016 insight as to problems taking the drone? It will be used for private purposes only, on a family vacation. I'm not taking anything other than a stock P3A, 2 Batts, etc., in a backpack. Am I likely to get held up by customs? Are there any other current risks or issues with travel? Thanks!

I can tell you crossing the US/Canada border is no problem. I have heard lots of different stories with drones and customs. I can't tell you for sure, but if you bring it, you are gonna be at risk of having it taken and if not, they will probably interrogate you quite a bit before letting you through. If you are driving, you will be able to get it through pretty easily, but flying might be a little different.

just bring some extra cash for the mexico customs then you will be okay

James I just returned from Cancun June 26. I had your same concern. I carried mine in back pac, on board airplane. Went through security in a breeze. Their only concern is batteries. 100w batteries aren't primitted. Have a great trip and enjoy your flying. I left out of Tampa.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: James Taylor
James I just returned from Cancun June 26. I had your same concern. I carried mine in back pac, on board airplane. Went through security in a breeze. Their only concern is batteries. 100w batteries aren't primitted. Have a great trip and enjoy your flying. I left out of Tampa.

Thanks!

Not travelled to Mexico but no probs on flight or customs with P3A 2 batteries etc in DJI hard case.

James, just play a couple of tunes, and you'll be all right.

Just came back from cancun.

On your arrival through customs, you push a button and if it's red, you are flagged for full customs search of all your bags. If green, you don't go through the thorough bag search but they may still ask to check your small bags.

If they find the drone- it depends on the customs agents. Some won't care and will consider it routine personal use camera equipment. Some will claim it isn't on the list of personal exemptions and will make you pay customs duties on the value of the phantom.

No issues whatsoever on the way back. Bags through security and no other bag checks.

I've read posts on traveling to Mexico with a Phantom but many are dated and offered different experiences. Does anyone have any 2016 insight as to problems taking the drone? It will be used for private purposes only, on a family vacation. I'm not taking anything other than a stock P3A, 2 Batts, etc., in a backpack. Am I likely to get held up by customs? Are there any other current risks or issues with travel? Thanks!

As information, we did take the drone to Mexico. Had no problems with travel out the USA or entering Mexico with it. We also had a great time flying there - and had no issues on the return home. Thanks to all for their thoughts.

Reactions: Jean Bellego
I've taken my P3 to Cancun 3 times already. Latest trip was March 2016. Never had any problems at all. No one even asks about it.

Should be no problem, as long as you don't light up the custom red light when you tag the button in the Visa line. At that point anything goes, it can be handy to have some cash stowed near the drone.

So how did you handle the batteries?. What is the procedure in this case?.

Also curious about getting the batteries onto the plane.

Post some videos of your trip.

So how did you handle the batteries?. What is the procedure in this case?.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
good video about travel whit the phantom and the batteries

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31