Reaction score
So a friend came over and wanted to see me fly my drone. I told him the battery was charging but it was probably enough to just hover around for a few minutes. Anyway that's what I did. I did not hear it say it was initiating RTS, possibly cause of the noise from the drone being so close. There were tree limbs about 30 feet up, and it started to climb, I quickly tried to cancel it on my phone but that's a tap and then a slide and just took too long. I had no control of it so it climbed straight up into the tree. Broke the part of my camera gimbal that holds one of the motors, cracked the body in a few places and bent one of the landing gear legs. I have since learned that the Switch 1 can cancel RTH. With all that I have a few questions:

1. Is Switch 1 the quickest way to cancel RTH?

2. Do you just swap Switch 1 modes or do you have to toggle it back and forth a few times?

3. Does the Switch 1 cancel method just give you supplemental control while the drone continues RTH or does it completely cancel RTH and begin just hovering again?

4. I'm not sure exactly how close the drone was to the home point but I read that if you are within, I think 30 feet of the home point it just lands. I was possibly within 30 feet not 100% sure though. When within 30 feet of home point and RTS is initiated does it just land or does still do its preset RTS altitude climb first?

Anyway I have learned from this and will not start flying with a low battery.

Your answers are appreciated, thanks!

With my Go - I just tap the land button .... no slide or anything more.

While in RTH - you can still move the sticks anyway ... did you try ? It is designed that you can still control the model even in RTH so to avoid obstacles.

But yes - don't fly with part battery. Especially in a cluttered area.

If within 20m (65ft) of home point - RTH will land where it is without ascending ... page 13 of manual.

Pal of mine - when he flies noisy areas - has earphones plugged in ! Never thought about it myself ...

Nigel

Last edited:
When it started to climb I immediately tried to bring it back down with the left stick, can't say if I tried to steer any with the right stick or not, it happened so fast and first reaction was to hit the left stick down but it did not control it.

When you hit the land button on your phone does it land it where it is or just cancel RTH?

Its one of those never do's ....

Just watch this !

Full tank or not !!

Nigel

Take it out in a field and test it. Now that you mentioned it I'm really not sure if you can take control while it's climbing to set altitude, during a RTH.

Take it out in a field and test it. Now that you mentioned it I'm really not sure if you can take control while it's climbing to set altitude, during a RTH.

Page 11. Bottom of page.

Page 12 - 13

I've read that but still have a question. Does toggling mean you just toggle it to a different mode or do you have to toggle it back and forth, if so how many times? Also, when within 30 feet of home point and RTS is initiated does it just land or does still do its preset RTS altitude climb first then land? Looks like once I get mine repaired I'll have to find a big field and do some test to find out.

Toggles back in forth 3 to for times. As far as your other question I'm not sure. I've never been in a situation where I had to cancel RTH really fast. I've always used my screen. I might fly tomorrow and test it. I will let you know. When do you think you will be up in the air again?

My shipment from DJI hasn't shipped yet. I ordered it on the 24th expected it to ship today but it didn't. So I don't really know when I'll be up again. I'll be looking to hear from you, I'd rather someone more experienced do the testing. Thanks!

Assuming the P3S is the same as the P2 series, moving the S1 switch from the top position to any other position instantly cancels RTH. Normally, you'd then want to move the S1 switch back up to where it was, but RTH has already been canceled at that point. This will only work when you're in range, of course. You should check your manual to be sure the S1 switch still does this for the P3S and they didn't change something...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers