Canadian Pilots

I haven't flown in the park since I found out it was prohibited, about 1 year ago. I got 4 flights in before I was sent an email regarding UAV's in the park. Now, I ussually fly in Mt. Robson Provincial Park, or go east toward Hinton. Jasper National Park only made it public on their website about a week ago.
Did you get caught in the act, or were you just asking a warden?
Dammit, that's all I was thinking about the whole time waiting for spring. Jasper would be a beautiful place to get aerial pics n vids. It really is a shame that careless people ruined it for everyone else! I'm quite depressed about it actually:(

Dammit, that's all I was thinking about the whole time waiting for spring. Jasper would be a beautiful place to get aerial pics n vids. It really is a shame that careless people ruined it for everyone else! I'm quite depressed about it actually:(
Yah, when I bought my Vision over a year ago, I was hoping to get some video of the park before they outlawed them. They aren't banned because of careless people, they actually banned them before anyone had a chance to do anything stupid. People are flying them in the park daily, because it is not a well known fact that flying them in the park is prohibited.

I haven't flown in the park since I found out it was prohibited, about 1 year ago. I got 4 flights in before I was sent an email regarding UAV's in the park. Now, I ussually fly in Mt. Robson Provincial Park, or go east toward Hinton. Jasper National Park only made it public on their website about a week ago.
Did you get caught in the act, or were you just asking a warden?

I flew up the Columbia icefields glacier and then I tried a flight in town and the warden came by and talked to me. I did check the website before I left for jasper and I couldn't find any notice of flying drones (or remote controlled airplanes as he said they were banned). He was nice about it but I did tell him that they should post something on their website.

Yah, when I bought my Vision over a year ago, I was hoping to get some video of the park before they outlawed them. They aren't banned because of careless people, they actually banned them before anyone had a chance to do anything stupid. People are flying them in the park daily, because it is not a well known fact that flying them in the park is prohibited.
Well, maybe I'll play dumb and do it anyways. Will be far from people and don't want to disturb the animals anyways lol!

I flew up the Columbia icefields glacier and then I tried a flight in town and the warden came by and talked to me. I did check the website before I left for jasper and I couldn't find any notice of flying drones (or remote controlled airplanes as he said they were banned). He was nice about it but I did tell him that they should post something on their website.
Actually, it just went on their website about a week ago, but not that easy to find.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/reglements-regulations/reglements-regulations.aspx
DronesUnmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones) are increasing in popularity for hobbyists, photographers, and businesses. However, flying a UAV is illegal in a National Park without an aircraft access permit, consistent with other protected areas in North America. Please leave them at home when you visit us!

I did a couple of flights from the airstrip, after paying my $5 landing fee to satisfy Parks Canada regulations, but I'm not looking to get in any trouble with Transport Canada. I couldn't find any mention of the Jasper airstrip in the Canadian Flight Supplement, so not too sure if it is classified as a real airport. There are so many regulations and jurisdictions involved that it made my head hurt from reading it all. Bottom line is that I won't be flying in any Canadian National Parks.

Here's some light reading for you!
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-97-150/index.html

Hey everyone.

New to the forum. P2V for the last year and waiting on P3A to be shipped

Ottawa Ontario

G'day everyone. In Trent Hills, Ontario.

Has anyone applied for an SFOC? If so, how do you deliver it to TC?

.....I found out. You attach your document to a specific email account with a specific Subject. It then enters "the cue."

Last edited:
Looking to start a thread for Canadians who can help out each other and talk about there experiences or nightmares.
Hey, I'm keen to join......I think it would be great to have a spot where Canadian pilots can link up and compare notes on experiences and generally help each other out in the safe and responsible operation of our Phantoms.
Way too many people out there who are giving the hobby a bad name and that's negatively impacting on what the public's perception is of drones and all the good things they can do.

I live on the East Coast in Saint John, New Brunswick and if anyone is in the area and want to do some flying,just contact me via email: [email protected]

Still pushing my stage 4, hit 3.8km today according to flytrex.
uploadfromtaptalk1432705181796.png

Yes a straight line. I don't use the dji app. I use the dji ultimate app. In the assist software you can set the distance limits to what ever you want.

Really ready, and already getting excited and a bit anxious too. Been wearing out my other small quads, keeping the muscle memory in check.

I just found you guys!! I'm in Hinton, Alberta. Good info about Jasper. I have flown there a few times in the last couple weeks. Got my P3P 3 weeks ago and love it. I have been flying for a few years, all stuff I have built myself (CNC in my garage so I build a lot of my own parts). The P3 is the first pre-built I have bought and flown.

Are any of you guys on the Facebook group DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Owners? Some of the flying escapades some do are quite something. Very cool but completely illegal at least in Canada. :)

Welcome to the forum, and Phantom 3 family. There are actually a bunch of us in Edmonton Alberta on this and the other main @dji forum, bud. Not hard to give a shout out. ;-) Like you did. Ha
I have found the best places to fly are the refineries off 17st, City Hall, art gallery, the main Police station, the courthouse, all around the legislative buildings and of course inside West Edmonton Mall. ;-)
Hahaha no not really. That's where I would like to fly.though.
But the city is landscaped with beauty, especially the parks and river valley. I have flown down at Hawrelak park, no one has ever said boo, as well, near Muttart Conservatory, and the Museum of Archives is pretty awesome with that large hill behind that leads down to the river.

Smith Crossing is beautiful anytime of year. That land was donated by the McTaggart family. You know, the folks who own McLabb Enterprises? Their house sits on ten acres and over looks Storyland Valley Zoo, from the Southside of the river. England's Royal Family stay there when ever they are in town. The family lives in Switzerland 8 months of the year.
And you can also get some great footage around the Telus World of Science/Planetarium. Just watch out for the tall radio antenna. ;-)

We are blessed here with rich scenery, and awesome open spaces to enjoy our hobby.

RedHotPoker

Kelowna, British Columbia here; looking forward to exploring the Okanagan Valley from the air with my recently acquired P3P. Downside is the crappy weather but it's given me s chance to practice with a cheap Syma quad as well as upgrade the hell out of the Phantom; just waiting on Trackimo and MARS Mini parachute to arrive. Anybody else in the Okanagan, give me a shout out!

Hey, for all of you purchasing why not go through dji directly? I got my p3p for $1159 approx. $1550 cad it included a second battery on the black Friday deal. Reading other posts this is supposed to include all taxes and import fees.

I ordered last Sunday and received it Thursday, newest model with new motors as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20