Can you use a GoPro and 3rd party gimbal on the Phantom 3?

This is a good serious question Imo. How did DJI address broken gImbal/camera issues with the PV2+?

Either spend $750 for a new one or send it on and spend a few hundred to fix it and wait weeks.

Guys, can we stop with the fanboydom? This is a perfectly legitimate question. If it's not for you, fine. At a minimum, you can recognize that it is of interest and relevant for others. There are plenty of people with GoPros and Zenmuse gimbals. GoPros have been hacked onto the P2V+. And there are some people who will only work with the GoPro or better.

As was already mentioned, DJI didn't exactly do much for the people who had their cameras snap off on the P2V+. We're gonna see plenty of that here too.

I for one very much want to see a Zenmuse and GoPro working on the P3.

P.S. Meta4, your example is a good one. People swap GM LSx motors into Mercs, Porsches, BMWs, and even Ferraris all the time.

Last edited:
Yep have to agree with ya Ian, it's a very valid question and I gave a very valid answer as to why because we've seen it all before at the release of the p2v+. I just hope history doesn't repeat itself and we start reading a loads of first time fliers with very expensive crashes which we saw plenty of this time last year. Even if just changing a gopro onto a p3 just for s#its and giggles, because the people that do stuff like this sort of tinkering are often the people we rely on for all sorts of mods because they have decided to open their drone up, mess about with so we don't have to but yet we reap the benefits. Just because someone may not see the reason why someone wants to do this doesn't mean they shouldn't be applauded for asking. Ingenuity starts with a simple question.

+100 Mal!

It will be more involved than it was on the P2V+ but it it can most likely be worked out. Here are some thoughts:
  • Does the P3 wait on any signals from the camera for Lightbridge or other functions?
  • The gimbal interface is likely to be similar if not the same. Gimbal control pins would need to be mapped out.
  • HDMI output should be identical except for high bitrate modes. In 2.7K/48p and up, the GoPro drops to 480p HDMI output to preserve bandwidth for in-camera image processing.
  • Camera controls would be ground based only which is fine by me. I plan and set everything in advance anyway.
  • If one wanted to get fancy, they could decode the SPI or I2C interface between the stock camera and P3.
The other option if the P3 camera is in working order is to JTAG the Ambarella A9 and load the GoPro firmware on it. That will give you 2.7K modes plus far better algorithms. But you lose camera control. Before this could happen, you'd have to look at the GPIO pins and determine which ones are used by GoPro for the buttons and fab up a 3D printed button interface. If one were very clever, you could use a small MC to intercept SPI control from the P3 and map it to GPIO button presses. Other GPIO, SPI and I2C on the P3 cam would need to be carefully surveyed as well.

http://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/A9 Product Brief.pdf

There was mention made that there will be more Phantom 3 models to come.
Anyone want to place bets on there being a version with Zenmuse compatibility?

My bet is no. Maybe 3rd party but I think DJI is burning the bridge with GoPro.

It would be a trivial change for DJI to make a no camera version that has connectors and mounting points for the Zenmuse gimbal and HDMI.

I'd buy one right away. P3 is more stable than the P2. I'd miss my Futaba but I'd get over it.

There was mention made that there will be more Phantom 3 models to come.
Of course there is still another P3 model to be released, how could you not see the p3+ being released at the end of the summer? I do think dji have truly stepped away from the gopro market and the nail in that coffin for me wasn't only that they didn't release a cameraless model but it was the 3Dr release SCREAMING GOPRO with their logo and copyright mark. This is an exclusive deal that has been done a good while ago I reckon. No more Dji Zen gimbals for gopro, I reckon 3dr wet themselves at this gopro exclusive (ish) deal that they have gotten one up in dji with Colin Guinn especially ecstatic behind the scenes I reckon or are they just picking up what dji might be thinking as their sloppy seconds that they dumped? It would have been great to be a fly on the wall. Did gopro drop dji who never officially carried the gopro logo on their birds or gimbal? Or did dji drop gopro and Colin dashed in like a dog with 2 mikeys drooling at the prospects of marketing themselves with such a huge name as gopro and in turn get one over on dji in his eye? We won't know for sure the way these guys have history with confidentiality agreements and law suits. We may find out over the summer but one thing for me is that dji and gopro are no more officially because they want to walk a different path as far as cameras are concerned. sorry for rambling with my thoughts but going back to the op, yes I reckon we will see someone, maybe even Ian get a gopro working on the P3, it would be ignorant to think there aren't great people working on it already, it could even be Ian :)

It would be a trivial change for DJI to make a no camera version that has connectors and mounting points for the Zenmuse gimbal and HDMI.

I'd buy one right away. P3 is more stable than the P2. I'd miss my Futaba but I'd get over it.
I'm going to guess DJI will see how the SOLO does and potentially react accordingly. They could kill the pricing with a camera less upgrade able bird option.

........ I'd miss my Futaba but I'd get over it.

I am totally new to P3 - just ordered mine today. For the last two years, I have been flying my Phantom (I) with my Futaba 14SG.
Is there no way one can use the Futaba with the P3P ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4