Can you take off / land at angle?

Reaction score
Just wondering can the DJI 4 be able to take off if it's taking off from an unlevel surface? So far it seem to never have a problem and usually went straight up, but I never tried testing it to its limits of taking off from an angle. Plus what about landing on an uneven surface because I had friends that dared me to land on roof of houses. I wouldn't mind but most roofs are slanted and I don't think it would be very risky.

I tried that with my DJI P3 once and it almost hit my car, it lunged forward and had to stop it from doing so.

Wouldn't even attempt it myself. The compass and IMU do not like angular initialization. In fact its a no no.

Just wondering can the DJI 4 be able to take off if it's taking off from an unlevel surface? So far it seem to never have a problem and usually went straight up, but I never tried testing it to its limits of taking off from an angle. Plus what about landing on an uneven surface because I had friends that dared me to land on roof of houses. I wouldn't mind but most roofs are slanted and I don't think it would be very risky.

I tried that with my DJI P3 once and it almost hit my car, it lunged forward and had to stop it from doing so.
Mine took off at an angle, but not intentionally. As I started liftoff, a gust of wind turned it halfway and it flew sideways for a second or two. I pushed forward on the lift stick and it righted itself almost immediately and went straight up. Sometime later I could breathe again!

Reactions: Neon Euc
Wouldn't even attempt it myself. The compass and IMU do not like angular initialization. In fact its a no no.

How so?

Do you speak from knowledge or superstition? Saying you wouldn't attempt it seemingly suggests the latter.

The IMU consists of several multi-axis MEMS based sensors and is an absolute device not relative.

Please link to a technical paper/discussion/etc. or DJI instructions as 'do not like' is not sufficient.

This is analogous to saying the magnetometer must point North (or any direction specified) upon initialization to be valid.

Do you know how difficult it would be to orient to exact mag. North, or any direction, before each flight for example?

Last edited:
Whilst this really does not answer your question I feel the point is worthy of airing. If you were to land on a slanted roof (for some unknown reason) this would probably mean you would have to take off again from the same slanting area, To land and quickly shut off the motors would not be too difficult, If there was any cross wind (over the ridge of the roof) it would most likely create what is known as a 'Rotor' "its a bit like a roll of carpet say", The electronic 'brains' (gyros etc) of the bird and you may find that you really have your hands full to overcome the rotor before you can get out of its effects. however if you are ready to anticipate these problems and can get off quickly and gain altitude to get out of the rotor area (like a wind shadow area of the roof ridge you should be OK.

Is it worth risking just for fun? Hmmm maybe.

Happy landings (and take offs)

Regards, :)o_O

Registered here just to give my two cents. P4P+ owner here.

Well, I tried landing on the bonnet of my car, and since it's not straight, it tried to level itself, which it didn't could, as it slided off the bonnet and crashed to the ground, using the automatic landing (sliding to right to land)

Result: One broken prop, one damaged.

Don't do this.

It can, howewer, take off at an angle (I wouldn't recommend it tho), but it will level itself as soon as it floats, so be careful to not damage any props. If you want to do this, check the angle manually first and verify that the props don't touch the ground/surface when the drone is completely level relative to the ground.

To answer your question more specifically:

If you try to land on angled house roofs, probably it'll come tumbling down and you'll have a bad time. Don't do this.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.