Can you take off in a yellow restricted zone?

Reaction score
Recently bought a phantom 2 vision. Live 2 miles from LAX. Inside yellow zone for sure but not in the red no fly cone.

I've tried to take off in my back yard but rotors won't start.

Reading the dji no fly documentation it states a phantom will not take off in a red zone but does not say so for yellow zones. Only that height is limited.

What gives? Can I take off or no?

I'm not understanding. Do the P2's actually have some limiter based on GPS that keeps them grounded in certain areas?

Wow, big brother.

Yes. Part of dji's safety features which is a good thing IMHO. However I am not clear on the rules. Watched my the informational video on no fly zones seems to indicate that you cannot fly or even take off inside a 1.5 mile radius of an international airport like LAX but between 1.5 miles and 5 miles you can fly but height is limited.

I am about 2 miles out from the airport. Half mile outside red no fly zone. But phantom won't start motors. I have confirmed my location on dji's fly safe website and it's well outside the red zone. I have flown successfully beyond 5 miles radius.

So I'm confused. Can you not take off at all within a 5 mile radius??

Additionally I get a warning message telling me that I am in a height restricted zone when I boot up the dji vision app. But it doesn't say anything about not being able to take off.

Well personally I would never buy any type of equipment that is hamstringed by location or politics. Users are responsible for their actions.

Remember the Alamo.

Good luck with your lefty-flyer.

My understanding is that FAA rules state that UAV pilots may not launch within 5 miles of an airport without specific authorization as of sept 2, 2015. See the news forum. But your dji phantom should still launch...

Well personally I would never buy any type of equipment that is hamstringed by location or politics. Users are responsible for their actions.

Remember the Alamo.

I think you're exaggerating - unless you happen to buy illegal wifi equipment that broadcasts with more power than the FCC allows... or you operate walkie talkies or a cell phone that use restricted bands.

The point is - there are a lot of products that are "hamstrung" by location or politics and I bet you own a few.

Recently bought a phantom 2 vision. Live 2 miles from LAX. Inside yellow zone for sure but not in the red no fly cone.

I've tried to take off in my back yard but rotors won't start.

Reading the dji no fly documentation it states a phantom will not take off in a red zone but does not say so for yellow zones. Only that height is limited.

What gives? Can I take off or no?

Here's another thread on the yellow zones: Large yellow circle on DJI Pilot app map? | DJI Phantom Forum

Remember the Alamo.

So then I guess you don't own any DJI equipment... because I would think they are all hampered somewhat by NFZ's in firmware already. And if not, they will be soon... I'll make sure I have fun with my "lefty-flyer"... :confused:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20