Can you recommend another brand of quadcopter?

Reaction score
I'm having auto land issues with two P2 batteries and after paying 2 x $150 I'm not happy with DJI. Can you recommend another brand or a personal build (parts list)?

Don't get put off because of this issue. The Phantom is a great toy/tool capable of awesome video.
The community has to cling together again though and get DJI to address this obvious fault and replace these bad batteries.

Auto land issues??
That's a bit vague. We can only guess what's happening.
The latest version of the app has a Low Battery Auto Go Home feature.
Is that the issue?
Unticking it will prevent activating the auto go home feature when your battery gets to 20%.

Almmohd said:
I'm having auto land issues with two P2 batteries and after paying 2 x $150 I'm not happy with DJI. Can you recommend another brand or a personal build (parts list)?

Yes, there are other brands..... all of them will require you to read and understand the user manual before you get complete satisfaction from the purchase.

I think Almmohd is reffering to the batteries that many are reporting to have low voltage at say 50%.
Apart from the setting in the application, it seems that 3.06 takes the actual voltage into account and will land early, or try to land early and die in the air.
This seems to be a large batch of bad batteries that decrease in voltage twice as fast as normal, after only a few flights.

Meta4 said:
Auto land issues??
That's a bit vague. We can only guess what's happening.
The latest version of the app has a Low Battery Auto Go Home feature.
Is that the issue?
Unticking it will prevent activating the auto go home feature when your battery gets to 20%.

I have the same issue he has. It's a flaw with the batteries. In my case, DJI will do nothing for me. I've had mine auto-land with 45% battery life as shown by the app and approximated by the lights on the battery itself. I don't mean RTH. I mean come down nice and slow wherever it happens to be when the fault occurs. Over a tree, over a car, over a sleeping baby... Whatever...

-slinger

Ah, sorry about not being clear about that. The issue is what gunslinger and Fyod are describing. Two batteries are bad, the phantom 2 is auto landing at about 60% battery.

I understand your frustration, this may add to it though.
Have you contacted DJI? Maybe they will help, maybe blow smoke but you don't know unless you ask.

FBiff said:
I understand your frustration, this may add to it though.
Have you contacted DJI? Maybe they will help, maybe blow smoke but you don't know unless you ask.

According to DJI, it all depends on when you purchased the battery. If you purchased a defective battery eight months ago, you're out of luck, because you didn't catch it in time. Totally preposterous horse ****. If it's defective there should be no time limit on the damned thing...

I sent them screen shots clearly showing what their own software sees as the state of the battery. According to their software all is well. I have plenty of life left... (If I don't mind picking it out of a tree or fishing it out of a pond)

-slinger

I called them... Battery is 6 months [emoji37] I'm thoroughly annoyed. Their battery is too expensive for this kind of crap. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. Don't think they're interested in repeat business.

Almmohd said:
I called them... Battery is 6 months [emoji37] I'm thoroughly annoyed. Their battery is too expensive for this kind of crap. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. Don't think they're interested in repeat business.

Had a new Phantom 2 all spec'd out with gimbal, gopro and lightbridge. Was just about ready to order when 2 of my batteries for the Vision died in the same day. 37 and 39 cycles on them. The third battery is puffing already, 12 cycles. Now reading a lot of other pilots with the same issue no way will I invest in another DJI Phantom. No more DJI batteries either. I'll keep this Vision flying for as long as I can but will cut my losses after that.

I've been doing a lot of reading on other brand forums and would be very cautious about getting into something new at this point. At least the RTF market. This is a fairly new technology for the hobby industry. In the next few years someone will start producing some quality products with good service. They will be the industry leaders.

enterprise1 said:
Had a new Phantom 2 all spec'd out with gimbal, gopro and lightbridge. Was just about ready to order when 2 of my batteries for the Vision died in the same day. 37 and 39 cycles on them. The third battery is puffing already, 12 cycles. Now reading a lot of other pilots with the same issue no way will I invest in another DJI Phantom. No more DJI batteries either. I'll keep this Vision flying for as long as I can but will cut my losses after that.

I've been doing a lot of reading on other brand forums and would be very cautious about getting into something new at this point. At least the RTF market. This is a fairly new technology for the hobby industry. In the next few years someone will start producing some quality products with good service. They will be the industry leaders.

Thanks for the warning enterprise1, I am particularly disillusioned by DJI because their batteries were so expensive to start with. If you buy something at such a premium price you expect it to last a reasonable amount of time. I don't think I got some reasonable use out of this thing. It should have lasted at least a year don't you think. If they had even offered a rebate on the purchase of a replacement that would have been something. At least Apple did that for me when my iphone went bad and it was off warranty. I thought I was buying a top of the line product here, seems I was wrong.

Anyway, I came across the qav250, looks small and fun. Batteries don't cost half as much so I'm doing my research around this. Any other ideas, brands, kits?

Oh, that sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

Almmohd said:

To answer the original question: yes I just finished the build of my RCExplorer Tricopter V3 and am very happy with it. http://youtu.be/hI-7X6By25I

i too was very frustrated with DJI and the early land/crash problems. Since I can put any battery on I like etc. it has given me my freedom back. Since I build it myself, I can easily rebuild it, when it crashes. Only downside is you have to build it yourself, and choose from the endless options in cheap parts and batteries :) the frame parts can be bought here: http://www.rcexplorer.se

Buy a cheap starter setup and expand as you learn to fly. That's right you have to fly it, not just observe as it may or may not follow the suggestions you present it with :) Or put a pixhawk on it, and let it fly autonomously - your choice :)

what u guys think of this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqd2nN1Owm8

it's called FreeX SkyView, looks like phantom knockoff, i found it for under $400 usd with 2d gimbal, not bad at all, it's got basically all the same features as phantom. obviously the zenmuse will be better but the quad itself looks pretty good.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4